“Very nice hotel, with good service”

Hotel Casa Cristina
Ranked #18 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
Reviewed October 18, 2011

Nice hotel, 5 minutes walk from central park. Rooms are nicely furnished and have clean bath rooms. Room number 6 has a really nice view. Owner is very friendly and will help you with further travel plans. I would certainly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank WillekeF

Reviewed September 27, 2011

Our room was perfect for 2 of us. Ideal central location, very quiet rooms. Great value for the money. Beds were comfortable, internet is free, complimentary filter water, tea and coffee, BEAUTIFUL rooftop garden! Owners and managers were so helpful, very much wanting to talk with us (even with my horrible Spanish!) and give us travel tips.
Thank you, Casa Cristina! We will be back!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 19, 2011

I picked this hotel for the following reasons for my first stay in Guatemala,
1. I am a woman traveling alone so I wanted somewhere that had a good reputation where I would feel safe.
2. Somewhere not too expensive.
3. Close to all the things I needed.
4. A place I knew I could leave cash and valuables in the room without worrying about it.

Casa Cristina was all of these things. I CANNOT believe that anyone at the hotel would be rude to a guest UNLESS there was something seriously wrong that was called for. I have read the other reviews and I cannot believe that these are the same people that was gracious and kind to me.

I have been traveling for 4 months now and I have seen some ugly tourists, and some bad proprietors, but this was not my experience at Casa Cristina.

I extended my stay here because I was so comfortable, but I had to move because I am taking Spanish classes and couldn't afford to stay there for 2 weeks.

I looked at many hotels and Casa Cristina has the BEST WATER PRESSURE of anywhere. That's what you are paying for, the excellenct water pressure, the serence terrace on the roof, excellent cable tv and great safety. The rooms vary only in how much noise you get from the outside or the washing machine. They are about all the same size and decorated similarly.

If I my school wasn't so expensive, I would have stayed, it's a great place. I really cannot find any issues with them at all. BTW, the roosters are very far away from the hotel, the most noise you will get are from other guests talking in the hallways or if you are out front, the traffic, which is expected since this is a densely populated area. Oh and there's free coffee and water and cookies!

Room Tip: First floor is cheapest, but also the noisiest. I vote for room 14
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 12, 2011

I've stayed in many hotels and hostels in Antigua in the past. This was the worst. Narrow stairs and hallways. Harder than rock beds. Rooms so small not even a Mayan could turn around in them. Shower was dirty. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. There are so many wonderful places at less prices check them out. It's location wasn't good. The staff were OK.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Anipele_yahoo_comAni
omi2x, Owner at Hotel Casa Cristina, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2011

We NEVER want any guest like these ones. They were a nightmare; loud and obnoxious! We had to call the police and they filed a report (#320115757). The two persons tried to put to men in their room at 1 AM the day before they left. For safety reasons and tranquility we do not allow any person not register to enter the hotel at night.
The next day they decided to leave and when they were leaving one of the maids came running to say that one of the beds had been urinated on. I asked them to come to the room so we could check together the damage and they became very loud and disrespectful to us, and the other guest, and said they had no time to check the damage. Finally they agreed, after we called the police for their yelling. I decided to let them go since to our luck, it was an older mattress. I do understand accidents happen but to insult instead to apologies is unbelievable. Needless to say the mattress was thrown out.

Reviewed August 5, 2011

Great location, in the heart of historic centre. Just one minute to walk to see one of the most beautiful church. The street where' s located is one way and a few narrow, but very quiet.
Rooms small, but very clean. Staff helpful, the lady managing has given us for three days the Lonely Planet., very kind. Free wi-fi and internet at reception, and water or tea too. For a budget option in Antigua is very recommended.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2011

The hotel was nice and clean, a short 10-15 minute walk the the Plaza Mayor and was located on a quiet street. Price was reasonable. Internet connection could have been better, but was adequate.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 27, 2011

This was my 3rd visit to Casa Cristina and the 1st for my husband; in the past I've stayed with a friend or by myself. For the 1st time we sprung for a top floor room (we paid $40/night) with a bank of windows viewing Volcan Agua. It was great having the light, fresh air, and view plus the room included a small refrigerator; we bought pounds of gorgeous strawberries, gigantic grapes, and bananas at the market and pastries and bread at Fernando's and Doña Luisa Xicotencatl (reviewed separately) and ate most of our breakfasts and lunches in. (Note: we travel with a small bottle of Microdyn drops - which can be purchased locally - and soak fruit we don't peel ourselves per directions before consuming.)

My reservation was for Room 12 which is slightly larger than Room 11 where we ended up. We could have used the extra room but loved where we were so didn't mind. The room had wonderful furniture including a comfortable bed and cute decorative touches in addition to the amazing view. I liked being so close to the rooftop terrace. We had no problems with noise though we never figured out the ringing pattern from La Merced marking the hours.

As usual, the location (less than a block from La Merced and Fernando's coffee place; and a few blocks to St. Jeronimo ruins and the market/bus area) and the staff make the trip here. Rosario is so lovely and thoughtful and helpful with ideas and advice and the night watchmen and maids friendly and helpful as well. I'd asked Rosario to set up a shuttle from the airport since we were flying in late and the driver was prompt and delivered us efficiently and safely.

I'm sure there are places with larger rooms and perhaps even better locations but I'll continue to head to Casa Cristina every time I'm in Antigua because it feels like home.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple