“Nice little place”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Antigua
Hotel Casa Cristina
Ranked #18 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
Chandler, Arizona
“Nice little place”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

The hotel was nice and clean, a short 10-15 minute walk the the Plaza Mayor and was located on a quiet street. Price was reasonable. Internet connection could have been better, but was adequate.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
The Dalles, Oregon
Reviewed July 27, 2011

This was my 3rd visit to Casa Cristina and the 1st for my husband; in the past I've stayed with a friend or by myself. For the 1st time we sprung for a top floor room (we paid $40/night) with a bank of windows viewing Volcan Agua. It was great having the light, fresh air, and view plus the room included a small refrigerator; we bought pounds of gorgeous strawberries, gigantic grapes, and bananas at the market and pastries and bread at Fernando's and Doña Luisa Xicotencatl (reviewed separately) and ate most of our breakfasts and lunches in. (Note: we travel with a small bottle of Microdyn drops - which can be purchased locally - and soak fruit we don't peel ourselves per directions before consuming.)

My reservation was for Room 12 which is slightly larger than Room 11 where we ended up. We could have used the extra room but loved where we were so didn't mind. The room had wonderful furniture including a comfortable bed and cute decorative touches in addition to the amazing view. I liked being so close to the rooftop terrace. We had no problems with noise though we never figured out the ringing pattern from La Merced marking the hours.

As usual, the location (less than a block from La Merced and Fernando's coffee place; and a few blocks to St. Jeronimo ruins and the market/bus area) and the staff make the trip here. Rosario is so lovely and thoughtful and helpful with ideas and advice and the night watchmen and maids friendly and helpful as well. I'd asked Rosario to set up a shuttle from the airport since we were flying in late and the driver was prompt and delivered us efficiently and safely.

I'm sure there are places with larger rooms and perhaps even better locations but I'll continue to head to Casa Cristina every time I'm in Antigua because it feels like home.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hopefulist
Post Falls, Idaho
Reviewed July 15, 2011

My biggest kudos for Casa Cristina is how warm and welcoming both the owner and the staff are. My sister and I fell in love with Carlos, who turned a very bad experience with a psychotic shuttle driver into a laughable situation. The hotel is very nice and cosy on the inside. My only complaint is that our room was very small and rather stuffy (we stayed in one with an interior window) so next time I would spring for a window to the outside.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 13, 2011

The staff at Casa Cristina was quite warm and welcoming. Our room was small but cozy, and a terrific value for the price. There's also a beautiful rooftop terrace with a wonderful view of the city. Other amenities worthy of note: free wifi and plenty of cafes and restaurants in the vicinity.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We booked this hotel before our arrival in Guatemala and had arranged for the hotel shuttle to pick us up from the airport. This worked well and was very quick and efficient. We found the rooms to be comfortable but small but for the price, in Antigua, it was a reasonable deal.The hotel is centrally located, only a short walk from the main square and many restaurants. We did however find that the hot water was intermittent and seem to be turned off during the day and late at night. this meant we had no hot water when we left early for a tour to pacaya, and still no hot water when we returned in the afternoon. Also, there is a rooster nearby that crows during the night and can be a bit annoying. otherwise a very quiet and peaceful place to stay.

Room Tip: sounds in the hallway echo into the rooms
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank kmaz100
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed May 29, 2011

We really couldn't have been happier with our stay at Casa Cristina. A relatively low cost hotel, with so many nice touches, such as well decorated rooms, and a lovely and caring owner. We passed through Antigua several times during our 10 day trip in Guatemala, and every time came back to Casa Cristina, which we started to call home. Rosario, the owner, was personable and a font of information. This was our first trip to Guatemala, and I'm sure not our last, and we'll definitely stay there again.

On the downside, and this has nothing to do with the hotel itself, the back rooms face another hotel's courtyard, which is occasionally a bit loud. Also, there's some very confused rooster who crows, it seems, every hour on the hour all night long.

Other travelers were nice, and quiet, and seemed to get the respectful attitude.

Room Tip: go for upper floor rooms
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank baltoellen
Auckland. NZ
Reviewed May 13, 2011

I stayed here on 2 occasions. Everything you needed at hand. Clean ensuite bathrooms, friendly staff, great views from the rooftop terrace. I stupidly left my room door open while I was doing email directly opposite on the ground floor and someone nicked a bag of souvenirs......but I didn't let that blight my stay.
Rooms are on the small side, bur it was not an issue for me. A real home away from home, highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo