“Amazingly Charming” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 80 Hotels in Antigua
Los Angeles, California
“Amazingly Charming”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I stayed 2 nights at Casa Encantada during my recent trip to Guatemala. It was such an awesome place. Small, quaint little hotel that has a lot of charm. The staff was very welcoming and helpful. The room had these stone pilars that you walked up to the room on over a little pond. It was like nothing I have seen. The room was not giant but it was super quaint and made me feel right at home. The bed was like a wonderful marshmellow and it had an awesome stone tile shower. The hotel staff were able to arrange trips for us to the various islands to visit and they were able to arrange transportation into the city.
When it was time to leave, I was sad to depart. I felt like I was at home there. Must stay!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

This beautifully decorated boutique hotel tucked away in the quieter south side of Antigua is perfect for a relaxing stay. Great food with interesting presentation, quaint rooms and pleasant staff - one of the nicer hotels in Antigua definitely!

• Stayed January 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

The good:
We arrived before the scheduled check in time, but our room was ready, so they allowed us to check in early. The room was very nice, but also very small (room #5). The bathroom was very clean and the shower water was nice and hot. The bed linens and towels were clean. They had two robes available. Breakfast served on the upstairs patio was the best food we had in Antigua. The grounds were very well maintained. The staff were great! The evening before we were to leave on an early morning excursion we asked if it would be possible to have some coffee at 5:45 AM. At about 5:15 AM we were up and happened to check if there was any coffee available yet. They had a pot of coffee with two cups sitting out waiting for us in the sitting area of the lobby. Almost all of the staff spoke English, which is helpful because my Spanish is awful and very limited.
The bad: The room was REALLY small! There were larger rooms, but we definitely got what we paid for. The street noise (cars driving by) was very loud. The view of the television is obstructed by the poles of the canopy bed. The mice that came out at night were loud and I don't like the idea of mice being in the same room as me. WiFi was only available at the foot of the bed (weak signal). The strongest WiFi signal was in the bathroom. Other than those things, I would definitely recommend this hotel. Also, room #7 looked awesome! It had water in front of it and could only be accessed by walking on large stones that were in the water. It was beautiful! This hotel is a short distance from the main square in a more quiet area of town.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for. We paid the cheapest price and got the smallest room (hard to move around...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Fernando X, Gerente at Casa Encantada, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear Tracy C.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at Casa Encantada Boutique Hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us; especially glad to know that our team provided the service that you expected.

Please know that we truly value your feedback, for it enables us to continuously strive for improvement in the quality of our products and services. I was sorry to read that certain parts of your stay did not live up to your expectations. Especially with the street noise, the room size and the WIFI connection, I have brought your concerns to our maintenance and systems departments for immediate review and we will take action in the issues you’ve mentioned. However, I was really surprised of learning about the mice comments, because I can assure you we have a certified and strict pest control, and there are no mice in the area. As we are a sustainable and eco friendly hotel, we are surrounded by trees and sometimes little chipmunks and cats can be heard at the roof and patio. Now that you mention it, we will be informing our guests as we’d never like them to get confused or scared by the noise of these friendly visitors.

Thank you again for your comments. It is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future. Feel free to contact me directly to arrange your reservation; I would be happy to assist you.

Kind Regards,
Fernando Ximénez, General Manager
fximenez@portahotels.com
Yardley, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Loved this tiny, intimate hotel. We were able to use the services of the larger Porto Antigua Hotel around the corner, but enjoy the privacy and charm of Casa Encantada.

First rate staff. Very kind, always available, and genuinely invested in making our stay amazing.

I will return and I highly recommend this to fellow travelers.

Room Tip: We stayed in room six, off the main travel path.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

Well appointed boutique hotel just five blocks south of the main square. Both common areas and rooms are decorated with much style and local antiques. The staff is extremely courteous. Breakfast on the pretty upstairs terrace.
I found the room's soundproofing a bit poor. At 4 AM a family with children checked out loudly at the front lobby (close to my room) and I couldn't sleep through it. Also easy to hear other guests coming in and out of neighboring rooms.
Poor shower pressure in my room.
But overall, pleased with my experience and believe it is a fair value.

• Stayed November 2012
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I was very disappointed in my stay here. My first room was quite nice, although noise from the street was a little loud. After the first night, I was moved to a different room (without explanation). The second room literally opened up into a small courtyard off the kitchen, next to a very loud water pump. (They turn off the pump at night due to the noise, which explains the lack of water pressure when you take your morning shower). The room was VERY small, with the shower located on the other side of the room from the rest of the bathroom. It appears that the charge was the same for the two rooms.
Breakfast at the hotel or it's sister property (Hotel Antigua) is included in the room charge, but I was never advised of this. (Of note, Hotel Antigua has a very nice breakfast buffet, pool and spa)
Good points: The public spaces are beautiful and inviting, and the staff was very pleasant. The hotel didn't collapse with me on the roof during the earthquake.

Room Tip: Avoid #9 at all costs!! Rooms 7 and 8 appeared to be the best.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank MDsquared
Tula, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

One of the most relaxing holidays I have ever taken,the hotel is small,intimate and friendly.The staff are helpful,cooperative and do everything in their power to help you.There is a larger hotel across the street owned by the same company where you can use all of the facilities,swimming pool,spa etc.
We found the location to be far enough away from the centre of town to be a quiet but close enough to walk into every night.
A little noisy in the early morning from the traffic but easily solved if you ask for an internal room.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple