“Wonderful Staff”

and 1 more site!
Casa Florencia Hotel
Ranked #23 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
Reviewed March 19, 2007

I can't say enough about the staff at Casa Florencia! Everyone made an effort to be helpful and accomodating. Patrica is the manager and does an excellent job keeping this little gem of a hotel in tip top condition. The accomodations are basic but ample. Very clean and generally quiet. There is some street noise due to a couple of social clubs in the neighborhood but my experience after a two eweek stay was that the parties usually end by 10pm.

Rooms on the upper floor are lighter due to the open view but noisier too. Rooms on the first floor are generally quieter but dark due to the fact that they are enclosed by the very small terrace area. There is a small facility were one may keep use the refrigerator and small kitchen. But generally, you will be going out for breakfast,etc.

Although Patricia speaks perfect english the rest of the staff don't. It's really not a problem because you can always make yourself understood using common sense.

I found that not having wireless available in my room was a problem as I use my computer to communicate. In today's wired world there just isn't a good reason not to offer this very inexpensive service. Many of the other accomocations in town do. You are welcome to hook into the net at the front desk but I find doing so cumbersome and certainly doesn't afford privacy.

Arranging for taxi's airport service, etc. can be done for you at the desk. They also will arrange for laundry service if you choose not to take it out yourself. Plenty of restaurants and places for coffee in the neighborhood. You will be directed to Fernando's for coffee and breakfast. A great place where they understand and speak english if you don't speak spanish. There is a patio at Fernandos, too. You can trust patricias recommendations as she has great taste.

Antigua is a charming freindly and SAFE location. Use common sense and you will not have anything to worry about. If you don't want to walk you can get a jitney "tuk tuk" which will take you one block or across town for a fixed rate of 10 Q (about $1.25).

Tahe the Elizabeth Bell tour from the main square at noon to get oriented. $20/person but well worth it.

PS, if you are going to be Guatemala for a prolonged period buy a local cell phone in the Mercado for $35 it comes with 150 minutes of free talk time and is very cheap beyond that. Alot easier than trying to use cards, etc.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled solo
4  Thank Geoff S

Reviewed March 13, 2007

This is probably the best B&B I have stayed in Latin America. It is beautiful, affordable, in a quiet street, which was very nice during New Year's eve celebrations, and especially, it is very clean and neat. Staff are very nice and helpful. It is a few blocks from Fernando's Kaffee, which is the best coffee in the city. The only downside I can think of is that sometimes you can hear other people coming along the hallway, and possible some noises from the other rooms. But nothing to worry about, really, especially after a long day of walking. I personally found it very quiet and relaxing. If you are absolutely picky about noise, ask to be located in in a room at the end-corner of the building. See my pictures!!

Stayed: March 2007
2  Thank sirenita55
Reviewed March 8, 2007

Hotel was fine. Nothing exceptional. Worst problem was that it was noisy. The rooms were very basic but clean. I don't think it is among the best hotels in Antigua by a stretch, though. Decent if you don't want to spend a lot of money.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jonathan1
Reviewed March 4, 2007

We chose the Casa Florencia Hotel based on the reviews in TripAdvisor and we were not disappointed. The hotel was clean and was great for the price. In addition to being centrally located, we had an excellent view of the volcano. It was quiet despite being located only a few blocks from the central park. We were really satisfied with the hotel overall.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 1, 2007

We selected the Casa Florencia based on three positives comments we read on the Trip Advisor site and, quite frankly, we end up being very pleased by our five day stay (February 18 – 23, 2007). Located in a quiet area the hotel is less than 10 minutes walk from “Parque Central” and is closed to many restaurants and points of interest.

Beds were comfortable and the room, even if sober, was pleasant, clean and well kept. Everything worked fine in the bathroom. Looking outside you can enjoy a spectacular view on the Antigua volcanoes and the many plants and flowers add to the charm of the Spanish style decoration and furniture.

The owner, Patricia and her staff were very friendly. They gave us great advice on where to have dinner (try Martin’s) and breakfast. They went out of their ways to help us booking various activities. They also warned us about the problems we could encounter with certain agencies.

In short, this was way more than one can expected for $45.00 (incl. taxes) a night. My wife and I found our stay awesome and highly recommend this very charming hotel.

• Stayed: February 2007
1  Thank YTJ
Reviewed February 3, 2007

This was my fourth visit to Antigua, a city that I absolutely love.
I usually find Trip Advisor reviews quite helpful, and booked on this site's recommendation. But from the moment I checked in, I was rather befuddled as to why other reviewers put this at the tops of the list -- Casa Florenica was adequate at best.

1. The hotel has no charm. The rooms, while very clean, are devoid of character (unless you count the crusafix above the bed). There is a large sign in the room instructing you not to use towels to clean off your shoes, not to eat in the beds, etc.

2. Upon check out, I was instructed that I must wait while my room is inspected for damage. I had never had such an experience. The clerk came to the desk and told me that a washcloth was missing. It was later found in the room, but I was shocked by the allegation that I would take one of their wash cloths.

3. The hotel is somewhat noisy. I could hear the tv of the adjacent room throughout the night.

4. Staff is courteous but hardly friendly. This is not my general experience in Guatemala - I am sure there are many other proprietors who would be happy to have my business, especially in Antigua, which is crawling with hotels.

5. Location is decent but not the best. Then again, Antigua is a very small city, so it doesn't matter too much. All in all -- it was an adequate experience, but I would never return. The price is very reasonable (I paid $40/nt) but you can find other places for similar rates in Antigua with more charm/character and that at least have a breakfast.

5  Thank NYinTransit
Florencia/Antigua, Manager at Casa Florencia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2007

As the Manager of Casa Florencia Hotel, I would like to respond to this latest entry with some critical comments regarding the hotel and treatment received during his visit.

I believe that the comments are without merit as I will attempt to explain as follows:

The hotel is advertised as a "Boutique "Hotel" having 10 rooms. Photos of two typical rooms are featured on our web page. While it is true that we have simple furnishings, the beds are excellent quality, firm mattresses and sufficient space and closet space for short term visits. Like every hotel, we request that guests respect our furnishings and do not cause deliberate damage.
No hotel permits or accepts that guests use towels to clean their shoes. So, why would this guest take issue with such a request? Or, why would a guest object to having the room checked upon checking out? The reason is that this particular guest was caught stealing a hand towel and was embarrassed upon being confronted by the receptionist. In fact, the guest had placed the hand towel (not “washcloth” as he stated) inside his backpack. We do not supply “washcloths”, therefore, he was lying about the incident and the outcome.
The other guests who have reviewed the hotel mention that it is quiet. Unfortunately, some guests may have the volume of their television too loud or may be noisy and adjacent rooms may hear the noise. Being that our hotel is small, one noisy guest can affect the others.
Our staff is trained and encouraged to be helpful, courteous and friendly with all guests. We are proud of our staff and the usually excellent relations and service that they provide.

In conclusion, Casa Florencia Hotel maintains the highest standards of cleanliness, provides simple, yet comfortable furnishings, private bathrooms with showers and hot water, and good quality linens. We make every reasonable effort to ensure guests and possessions are kept safe within the premises by having locked gate entrance doors and safes within the rooms. Our quoted prices already include 22% IVA and tourist taxes; the quoted $40 cost for a singe room is equivalent to about $32 plus taxes.

We are disappointed that a guest, who obviously was unhappy with certain details of this stay, chose to use this forum to seek a measure of “revenge” for being confronted with what amounts to a failed attempt of petty theft.

Reviewed January 21, 2007

My husband and I stayed at Casa Florencia for three nights in January 2007. It is a beautiful boutique hotel on a quiet side street in Antigua. The hotel is completely spotless, they were continually moping, sweeping, wiping, etc. We stayed on the second floor with a jaw drawping view of the volcano for only $45 a night. We also booked two one hour in-room massages for $15 each. It was excellent. The hotel only takes cash - Q or $. The only thing the hotel was missing was a water cooler in the main area. It gets old paying for Aqua Pura all the time. It would have been nice if they provided a tank so you could refill your bottles. Other than that, a great place. Also, the staff is super friendly!

Stayed: January 2007