“Consistently a wonderful place to stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Posada La Merced Antigua
Ranked #24 of 82 Hotels in Antigua
Ohio
“Consistently a wonderful place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2008

This little hotel never disappoints me. It is consistently a wonderful place for business or pleasure. The owner (Gail) and the staff are wonderful. I got really sick one day while there and I had enough care to see me through the next time I get ill! They helped me celebrate a birthday and are generous in spirit. I will keep returning to this hotel, again and again and again.

Stayed May 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2008

My Girfriend (now fiancee!) and I stayed at the beautiful pousada as our first stop in Gautemala. They offer a very useful pick up service from the airport.

The rooms are very clean and the pousada is very well located.

What made the stay so special was how amazing the owner of the pousada was.(Gail) She helped us organise a lot of our trip after this stop. She is a very experienced tour guide in central america and knows her stuff! The staff of the pousada are also very well trained and extremely helpful. She actually helped us organise our trip to Tikal, Chichi, and many other places. (and she was not making commission, this was because she really enjoyed to help us out)

What was also very useful was that we were able to leave our luggage at the pousada when we arranged a 4 day trip to other places. This meant we could take small packs and leave our big bags at the pousada.

If you are looking for a good priced, well located, sweet pousada then this is where you have to stay. We were delighted with our stay here and if we were ever to return to Antigua we would not think twice of where to stay because it would be here!

• Liked — Location and helpful staff
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2008

A charming, low-key inn, Posada La Merced is a friendly and inexpensive choice in Antigua. The staff is very friendly and helpful and the garden atmosphere in the main areas were quite lovely. There is also free wireless internet and a kitchen to accomodate long-term and/or short-term needs. The rooms are small, but the bathrooms are TINY (Our sink and mirror were literally inside the shower). Location was pretty accessible to anywhere else in Antigua, which is definitely a walking town. On the whole, I'm not sure I'd stay there again ( I'd be willing to pay a little more to get a little more,) but this is not a bad choice if you know what to expect.

• Liked — Staff and Location
  • Disliked — Overall room and bathroom
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Park City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2008

I was lucky enough to be dropped off here years ago when I was helping with a humanitarian mission. Since then I have stayed there many times--all with fantastic results.

I have found the front desk people to be as helpful as any hotel including multi-star hotels. The hotel is more of a home when helping the guests and I have never been refused of any request.

The grounds are spotless and the rooms are seriously cleaned daily.

I will be there again this year if that tells you how highly I think of the place.

[-]

• Liked — people
  • Disliked — everything was great
  • Stayed March 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank brucerub
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2007

The Posada was booked for our group ( just finished a mission trip) for a long weekend, as the group had stayed there a year before. Not having a great deal of experience with accomodations in Guatemala, I have to say that the Posada was a lovely surprise. The neighborhood is not that great, but it is not far from the market, several cathedrals and the central park square. It was scrupulously clean, pleasantly furnished and peaceful. The rooftop "garden" was a lovely spot for morning coffee, or city-gazing at night. My only complaint was the size of the rooms, and especially the bathroom- very limited space!

• Liked — coffee on the rooftop in the morning
  • Disliked — teeny bathroom
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
los angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2007

As a single woman traveling with a 17 month old baby, I need to feel secure and welcomed wherever I stay. We both loved Posada La Merced. The staff was incredibly sweet and helpful, the gardens are beautiful, it is close to everything you need in Antigua.....oh and did I mention how baby friendly it was......well, I'll mention it again......my son felt very happy there. They had all the ammenities, baby bath tub, even bed rails. How children are treated says a lot about a place. Posada Merced has a huge heart.

• Liked — felt like home
  • Disliked — small bathroom
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank gilmar
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2007

I like the following:
1. Friendly and helpful staff.
2. Proximity to "downtown".
3. Safe for a solo female traveler.
4. Clean rooms and bathrooms.
5. Reasonably priced.

I didn't care for the following:
1. Noise level of guests in the kitchen, eating outside, etc. I think quiet hours ought to be posted and enforced.
2. The request for a kitchen use donation.
3. The lack of ventilation in the room.
4. Mosquitos.
5. Old mattress.

I also took some mountain biking, hiking, and kayaking trips with Old Town Outfitters. Great fun! www.bikeguatemala.com

La Casa del Mundo in Jabalito (Lake Atitlan) is a must.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled solo