“Terrible absolutely disgusted - came into our rooms and stole!”

and 1 more site!
Posada La Merced Antigua
Ranked #25 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Absolutely disgusted with this hotel, as the key to our room had a large wooden cube on the end we were forced to leave our key at reception and therefore the staff members went into our rooms copied down card numbers and stole our money, we are certain of this as the people who were targeted had never uses the cards and they were in the room the whole time and were sharing the same room! They stole thousands of dollars and put it through as an 'art purchase' BEWARE! Additionaly a staff member let himself into one of our rooms late at night when one of the girls was sleeping! Terrible terrible place do NOT TRUST anyone!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Travel151515

Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

We're a group of young travellers on a budget.
Great clean rooms, small but most with a small double and a single.
Small bathrooms but very clean, lots of fresh towels daily, free soaps.
All rooms look out onto a leafy courtyard.
Beautiful roof terrace with great views.
24 hours reception with free safe deposits.
Hotel is very safe as you have to ring a bell to get the 24hr reception to let you in, sounds annoying but works really well.
Free wifi works in all rooms. Computer avaiable in lobby. Proper good coffee and purified water avaiable around the clock as well.
Surpassed our budget expectations.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I just returned from a week long stay at Posada la Merced in Antigua, Guatemala. This hotel served as a base for my activities throughout Guatemala. I was in a four bed room that had it's own private bath as well as a desk and wardrobe. The room was pleasant. To set expectations, the bathroom was on the small side as half of it was the shower and the other half was for the toilet and sink. The staff was very friendly and helpful with directions and suggestions for attractions in Antigua. One of the perks to staying at Posada La Merced was having Fernando's Kaffe (coffee shop) right next door. This hotel is within walking distance to the market as well as Antigua's Square and Arch. I would definitely stay here on my next visit to Antigua!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank juills
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I stayed at Posada La Merced for two weeks in May with my volunteer group. My first impression of the hotel was very good. The front door is locked at all times so it is secure, the staff were very friendly, the rooftop patio had great views and the little garden on the way to my room was very cute. I stayed in a triple room that had two beds on one side, a bathroom in the middle and one bed on the other side. It was spacious, clean and comfortable. The windows are glass slats so they don't do much to drown out the sounds of other guests, but with ear plugs I was able to have a great night sleep.

Our group did have one issue with a night staff worker halfway through our trip though which could have put me off completely, but the hotel dealt with it immediately. Our group came home from a late dinner one night and were locked out on the street because the night worker was inside passed out. We banged and banged on the door, rang the doorbell and yelled to be let in, but to no avail. The people who run the hotel next door came out because they heard all the commotion and kindly called the hotel owners (who were out of town) to find a solution. After being locked out for about an hour, we were able to gain access. Sometime in the middle of the night the night staff woke up and was walking around, crashing into things and even tried our door handle, which was thankfully locked. I'm not sure if he was just disoriented, but we were quite afraid so we emailed the managers to let them know. The next day we let Jorge know, he was shocked and apologized profusely and said the hotel would take care of it. Later that day, we got a call from the hotel to let us know that they take our comfort and safety very seriously so the employee was let go. I was very happy with how quickly they remedied the situation and we had no other issues for the rest of our stay. I would still recommend this hotel to people even though we had an issue because the staff really go out of their way to help you and it's a nice cozy home away from home.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Wednesday through Saturday of Semana Santa (Holy Week before Easter) in Antigua are a sight that rocks Central America, and the place to see it best, in my opinion, is from the Posada La Merced. It's near La Merced church, the yellow and white frothy architecture that is much photographed, along with it's ruined convent adjacent. Posada LM has 2 lookouts; a balcony over the street and a 3rd floor terrace, about the highest place in the entire city. Sitting in the swings on the rooftop is glorious, and airy - a beautiful sight any time of day. When it is clear, the volcanos ring the near horizon, and occasionally oblige with a puff of gasses. On the Thursday night going into Good Friday, it seems the entire city is out all night making alfombras, the carpets of vegetables, flowers and intricate colored sawdust designs for the processions to walk on. Many of the best, most extravagant alfombras are within a couple blocks of Posada LM. Our double suite #6 in the back patio was excellent. Breakfast at Fernando's next door, the famous coffee house, was fun and tasty. Alert! A gluten free menu available! And of course the resident kitty is everyone's favorite.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I brought a Mission team of 7 people with me to stay at Posada La Merced March 17-19, 2013. The staff was very helpful and treated us like "family". We truly enjoyed our short stay there; the rooms were clean and quiet, the staff excellent, and Jorge went all out to make us comfortable!
I plan to contact Jorge, because I want to return with another Mission team and stay in Antigua for 8-10 days. I plan to stay again at Posada La Merced!

Room Tip: I enjoy rooms that are on higher floors; they are generally quieter and you can leave windows open a...