“A true gem in Antigua”

The San Rafael Hotel
Ranked #1 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

I had the privileged to stay at this stunning hotel in the very centre of Antigua for 3 nights beginnings of July and it was an unforgettable experience. From the moment we arrived we were welcomed by the friendly stuff and shown into a large room very tactfully decorated with high ceilings, a 4 poster bed and a really stylish bathroom. The hotel although built in traditional style had all the mid cons and the Internet was the fastest we experienced during our trip through Central America. The breakfast was delicious and really tastefully arranged in the lovely patio outside our room. I would recommend San Rafael strongly to anyone visiting Antigua and looking for a beautiful peaceful boutique hotel to stay! Although it's located bang in the town venter the moment you walk through the front gate you step into a calm environment where you can enjoy the beautiful rooms and tranquil gardens and if you're looking for something more lively it's right at your doorstep outside of the hotel! Very highly recommended!

• Stayed: July 2014
There are newer reviews for The San Rafael Hotel

Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

This is a quiet hotel with less than a dozen rooms. It is very peaceful though located in the heart of Antigua. It has been tastefully decorated and is extremely secure. The staff are all very friendly and professional. I stayed nearly 2 weeks and there wasn't one screaming baby.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Due to our upcoming busy schedule, my wife and I are writing this review before we leave. We have to say the only thing we do not like is we cannot stay longer!

The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful, we were treated like royalty! No question or concern was left unanswered or fulfilled.

The overall location is like a hidden treasure away from the busy streets, with very nice decorations and beautiful plants and flowers.

The included breakfast was quite the surprise! We were expecting a typical basic American-ish breakfast of bagels and make your own waffels. Wrong! Full service and fancy breakfast with a waiter is what greeted us at our choice of well decorated tables! Also, the cook must be a master chef and artist because the food was so nicely prepared!

All in all, NO complaints and ALL praises to top shelf service. We really recommend you stay here if you have the opportunity!

Room Tip: We stayed in room #2 so can only speak for it. It is very cozy and ideal for a couple looking for a...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2014

I spent 3 nights at the San Rafael in June, it was like staying in a travel magazine. Everything was great, from the driver who picked me up at the airport, to the friendly staff, to the ideal location, to the amazing breakfasts. (Breakfasts get 5 Stars. Amazing.)

For my first 2 days I think I was the only guest in the hotel, this was simultaneously incredible (to have the WHOLE PLACE to myself) and humbling. Like, "did you really like 50 candles around the courtyard just for me?"

I stayed in Room 6. It was exactly as pictured on the website. While it was great I don't think I'd stay in that one again, pretty sure it was the smallest of all the rooms. But the bed was comfy and I really enjoyed the rainfall shower.

Location-wise, you're a half block from the arch and within 2 blocks of several very good restaurants. What I loved about the location was I could wander around until I got tired and then slide back to the hotel for a little R&R.

Overall: An exceptional small hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms 5, 6, and 7 are in the rear of the hotel. They are more private. But each room has it's ow...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank mclanea
Reviewed June 9, 2014

The photos look good and reality lives up to expectation. This hotel is exquisite and each of the seven suites are unique and thoughtfully designed. Staff are exceptionally helpful without being overly attentive and will organise transfers, tours band in room massage (which was lovely) via email in advance. Breakfasts are included and quality, and sitting in the tranquil courtyard is a delight. Location is very central to the main attractions such as La Mecred and the key shops and ruins. Made for an unforgettable trip! Ask at reception to check out the roof top view of the Agua volcano on a clear day! Would have loved to stay longer or return!

Room Tip: Ask for a suite further from the main courtyard if very concerned re potential for noise. No noise w...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank L M
Reviewed June 8, 2014

I'm currently sitting in the courtyard of this hotel waiting for breakfast the morning of our checkout. The beauty of this hotel is quite literally breathtaking. The service is exceptional. The breakfast is brought to a table just outside if your room in the open courtyard and is served with freshly squeezed orange juice. The rooms are spotless and to say they're well appointed wouldn't do them justice. Chandeliers and fireplaces and down duvets and windows that over look fountains. This is truly a place not to be missed.

Stayed: June 2014
Hotel S, Gerente at The San Rafael Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

Thank you Gina P for your comment, which encourage us to give all of our guest a great service.

We are looking forward to have you as our guest again

Best Regards,

Reviewed May 30, 2014

I have to tell you that I chose this hotel based on reviews from TripAdvisor. We haven't even gone on our trip yet, but their service has been outstanding! Claudia Morales in reservations has been my primary contact there. She booked our room, made arrangements for a car from the airport and now has assured me that our daughter may leave her luggage safely with them as she arrives before we do. Their replies are timely too. I cannot wait to see the actual hotel very soon!

Room Tip: I will update as soon as we return from our trip.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family