San Rafael Hotel
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
All reviewsboutique hotelsanta catalinafresh flowerssqueezed orange juicebeautiful hotelbreakfast was deliciousfamous archincluded in the room rateincredible stayla antiguaan oasisroom hotelperfect locationour honeymoonrooms facehigh ceilingscomfortable beds
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

An incredible stay at this very special hotel in Antigua. Rooms are beautifully decorated and courtyard is magical. Staff are very welcoming and breakfast is delicious. We booked another night the second we arrived. Can't recommend this place enough!

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed March 17, 2014

My family has travelled to Antigua on many occasions, staying at various hotels, typically in the five-start category. I studied Spanish in Antigua for many years while working in an international organization; and so, over the years we've returned to Antigua for rest, relaxation, and a terrific cultural experience. The San Rafael Hotel is a relatively new hotel that competes highly among the five-star boutiques in Antigua. The rooms are international five-start quality, the food is excellent, and the gardens and décor are among the best I've seen in Antigua. We also found the staff to be very friendly, providing excellent customer service. The location is superb, only a half-block walk to the arch and a couple blocks to the park.

We planned a 6 day/5 night stay in Antigua, but the San Rafael Hotel could only accommodate us for 5 days/4 nights (they were booked); thus, upon arrival we asked the front desk to alert us in the event of a cancellation, so we could grab the room for an additional night. Unfortunately, there weren't any vacancies, but hotel staff worked feverishly to get us a room in a neighboring hotel for the additional night. The reality is they didn't have to do this, but the fact that they went out of their way to accomplish this speaks volumes regarding the professionalism and care demonstrated by their staff. They even gave us a ride to the nearby hotel in one of the staff's personally-owed vehicle. I believe Julia was the lady who gave us the ride. We found this gesture of kindness and consideration to be both refreshing and rare. We will definitely return to the San Rafael Hotel in the future.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Roger B
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I am absolutely in love with San Rafael! I am staying here now as I type this- just in awe of the service of the people here and the level of detail in the beauty of the deign and atmosphere. We are strategically located right by the famous arch and just steps away from Central Parque.

My favorite clothing store to shop in in Antigua (I shop there every time I'm in town) is just around the corner- Shooga- so that's dangerous but convenient :).

The room is just gorgeous with a fire place and king size bed, and beautiful high ceilings and design. The bathroom and shower are to die for, and the details for the furniture design are rustic and beautiful!

Not to mention the fresh flowers they have here in my room as well as the welcome drinks they brought me. Also, the breakfast served in the morning was so much more than I ever expected. I was sure I would have a simple continental breakfast but it was a first class meal, with many options from Signature poached eggs with pesto and deliciously flavored hash browns, homemade jams and rustic bread, fresh fruit and yogurt with homemade granola and honey, and DELICIOUS Guatemalan Coffee.

I'm staying in Room No. 7. Outside my door is a beautiful courtyard with a fountain pool and chairs, so I can sit outside and sip coffee- wifi works throughout the place, so that is nice as well. And the people here are truly at your service.

I am in heaven and WILL be back!! Thank you San Rafael! :)

Room Tip: I'm in Room No. 7, which is a King Suite away from the street with a beautiful private courtyard outside- it's a winner!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 8, 2014

My mother, sister and I traveled for 10 days in the western highlands of Guatemala in January. We had the most wonderful experience staying at the San Rafael Hotel in Antigua. The staff are exceptional, especially Claudia and Julia the manager, who were very friendly, accommodating and attentive to our needs. We loved our gorgeous and spacious suite with a fireplace which we used during the cool winter nights. Every detail of the superbly renovated hotel from the artwork, design and interior decor is beautiful and of high quality. The breakfast was delicious, particularly the hotel special with pesto poached eggs, tomatoes and black bean hash brown potatoes. The hotel’s location is central to the main cultural highlights of the town. We also had the pleasure of meeting two of the charming owners, Wayne and Ray, who are from the northeast USA. We highly recommend this hotel to the discerning traveler.

Room Tip: Since there were three of us, we stayed in the large suite with two queen size beds which was more than adequate to share. The room was very quiet and located in the main courtyard. The large windows had big wooden shutters that you open the top part if you wanted to let in light, but also have privacy during the day.Since there were three of us, we stayed in the large suite with two queen size beds which was more than adequate to share. The room was very quiet and located in the main courtyard. The large windows had big wooden shutters and you open the top part if you wanted to let in light, but also have privacy during the day.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank RLeora
Reviewed March 8, 2014

If you've been to Antigua Guatemala, you know there are many hotel options to choose from, and, depending on when you go, you also know that it can be really hard to find a room! That was the case when I needed to spend a night in February while on a business trip. I am so glad San Rafael had a couple of rooms for my colleague and I. The recently-renovated hacienda style building is absolutely stunning. The rooms are luxurious, with astonishing beds, bathrooms, and a fireplace! They've thought of every detail during the renovation and decoration. You will feel pampered, no matter which room you end up in. The hotel is small and excellently located. We had the pleasure of being welcomed by Claudia, a very warm and accommodating staff member. When she saw how tall my colleague was, she felt bad that his room had a standard full-size bed and asked her boss if she could upgrade my colleague a better room with a bigger bed. She did, and it was at no additional cost. We also needed to leave earlier than breakfast time next day, and Claudia went out of her way to make sure the cook could set us up with coffee, pastries, and fruit before our departure. It was an overall amazing experience. I wish I could have stayed there all week!

Room Tip: If Claudia is working, ask for her.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Jordanjc21
Hotel S, Gerente at San Rafael Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2014

Dear Mr. Jordan jc2

Thank you for your comment !

We are very glad that you have enjoyed our staff member´s service and your stay at the hotel, for us is very important that our guests feel at home.