“Service, Atmosphere, Location and MORE!”

The San Rafael Hotel
Ranked #1 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I am absolutely in love with San Rafael! I am staying here now as I type this- just in awe of the service of the people here and the level of detail in the beauty of the deign and atmosphere. We are strategically located right by the famous arch and just steps away from Central Parque.

My favorite clothing store to shop in in Antigua (I shop there every time I'm in town) is just around the corner- Shooga- so that's dangerous but convenient :).

The room is just gorgeous with a fire place and king size bed, and beautiful high ceilings and design. The bathroom and shower are to die for, and the details for the furniture design are rustic and beautiful!

Not to mention the fresh flowers they have here in my room as well as the welcome drinks they brought me. Also, the breakfast served in the morning was so much more than I ever expected. I was sure I would have a simple continental breakfast but it was a first class meal, with many options from Signature poached eggs with pesto and deliciously flavored hash browns, homemade jams and rustic bread, fresh fruit and yogurt with homemade granola and honey, and DELICIOUS Guatemalan Coffee.

I'm staying in Room No. 7. Outside my door is a beautiful courtyard with a fountain pool and chairs, so I can sit outside and sip coffee- wifi works throughout the place, so that is nice as well. And the people here are truly at your service.

I am in heaven and WILL be back!! Thank you San Rafael! :)

Room Tip: I'm in Room No. 7, which is a King Suite away from the street with a beautiful private courtyard...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for The San Rafael Hotel

Reviewed March 8, 2014

My mother, sister and I traveled for 10 days in the western highlands of Guatemala in January. We had the most wonderful experience staying at the San Rafael Hotel in Antigua. The staff are exceptional, especially Claudia and Julia the manager, who were very friendly, accommodating and attentive to our needs. We loved our gorgeous and spacious suite with a fireplace which we used during the cool winter nights. Every detail of the superbly renovated hotel from the artwork, design and interior decor is beautiful and of high quality. The breakfast was delicious, particularly the hotel special with pesto poached eggs, tomatoes and black bean hash brown potatoes. The hotel’s location is central to the main cultural highlights of the town. We also had the pleasure of meeting two of the charming owners, Wayne and Ray, who are from the northeast USA. We highly recommend this hotel to the discerning traveler.

Room Tip: Since there were three of us, we stayed in the large suite with two queen size beds which was more t...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank RLeora
Reviewed March 8, 2014

If you've been to Antigua Guatemala, you know there are many hotel options to choose from, and, depending on when you go, you also know that it can be really hard to find a room! That was the case when I needed to spend a night in February while on a business trip. I am so glad San Rafael had a couple of rooms for my colleague and I. The recently-renovated hacienda style building is absolutely stunning. The rooms are luxurious, with astonishing beds, bathrooms, and a fireplace! They've thought of every detail during the renovation and decoration. You will feel pampered, no matter which room you end up in. The hotel is small and excellently located. We had the pleasure of being welcomed by Claudia, a very warm and accommodating staff member. When she saw how tall my colleague was, she felt bad that his room had a standard full-size bed and asked her boss if she could upgrade my colleague a better room with a bigger bed. She did, and it was at no additional cost. We also needed to leave earlier than breakfast time next day, and Claudia went out of her way to make sure the cook could set us up with coffee, pastries, and fruit before our departure. It was an overall amazing experience. I wish I could have stayed there all week!

Room Tip: If Claudia is working, ask for her.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Jordanjc21
Hotel S, Gerente at The San Rafael Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2014

Dear Mr. Jordan jc2

Thank you for your comment !

We are very glad that you have enjoyed our staff member´s service and your stay at the hotel, for us is very important that our guests feel at home.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

On a recent trip, we had the opportunity to stay in this beautiful hotel in downtown Antigua, Guatemala. Following a complete renovation, San Rafael offers an amazing experience. Exquisitely furnished and filled with a combination of pre-colombian and modern art, you will feel pampered by the staff and its owners. With wonderful, bright rooms and excellent service, this hotel also offers conference space and a large roof-top terrace overlooking Antigua for your business or personal pleasure.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 24, 2014

No doubt the best place to stay in Antigua. The warm staff, the absolutely luxurious rooms (with fireplaces), the beautiful garden and delicious breakfast, all exceeded my expectations. The rooms are meticulous, beautifully decorated and beds are the comfiest I've ever slept in. The owners and the staff could not have been more welcoming and helpful. This hotel does not disappoint!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 23, 2014

The San Rafael, despite its having been open for less than a year, is one of the most beautiful small hotels we've stayed at anywhere in the world. I don't doubt it will soon be recognized as the top boutique hotel in Antigua. From the moment you walk through the front gate -- which is located mere steps from Antigua's iconic arch -- you are greeted warmly by the highly professional staff and are offered a cold drink. The two courtyards boast gurgling Spanish colonial fountains and lush landscaping, along with an eclectic display of antique and modern art and furnishings. The rooms are just spectacular, and include a wonderful daily breakfast, chosen from among several choices on a menu. The coffee and orange juice (freshly squeezed) are especially good.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dan S
Reviewed February 22, 2014

This was my 10th year to visit Antigua and loved staying at the hotel San Rafael. This is at the top of small, charming and beautiful places to stay. The staff and owner made us feel as if we were guests in their own beautiful home. We loved sitting in the garden and having our delicious breakfast on the patio. The rooms are spacious and luxurious with the most comfortable beds. There are so many lovely sights in Antigua and this 7 room hotel is in an excellent location. I would just second all the excellent reviews already written about the San Rafael. I would add that the San Rafael has some of the nice features of a hotel such as limited but excellent meal and bar service yet has all the charm and warmth of the nicest inn or B&B.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

We want to say thank you for staying with us, we are glad that you have enjoyed your stay and we hope to have you with us in the future.

Best regards,