“Nice new Hostel in Town”

Hacia El Sur Hostal
Ranked #19 of 105 Specialty Lodging in Antigua
Guatemala City, Guatemala
“Nice new Hostel in Town”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Hacia El Sure is a new hostel located
on Primera Avenida Sur 15 below
Cafe Sky.

The owner Francisco is always on
site and is friendly and accommodating
to his clients.

There are a variety of room choices including
many with there own washroom.

Prices are great. There is a shared
kitchen for the guests where you can
get to know travellers from around the world.

Nice and clean...nice and confortable

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Walhalla, North Dakota
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Francisco has just recently open and is daily making improvements and all for the better;
Fluent in english he goes out of his way to accommodate, very knowledgable, his family is great
and also very helpful; Antigua has many attractions out of the bustle and hustle of big city;
A great place to unwind or rest up for the next leg of you journey, I had intended to stay 3 days and stayed 3 weeks.
While visiting if you need something, just ask and Frisco will help you find it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Cuenca, Ecuador
Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

I only stayed here 1 night but thought this was a great place to stay - clean, a very comfy bed, spacious dorm room with lockers, a delicious choice of breakfasts included in the price, a nice garden at the back plus an indoor social area and nice friendly owners. In short, a great place to stay and I would go back!

• Stayed May 2013
Meduno, Italy
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I spent there 3 nights and I really enjoyed it: comfortable beds, great location and very friendly staff made my experience sooooo relaxing! I can recommend it!! If I'm ever going back to Antigua, that's the place where I want to stay!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Austin, Texas
Reviewed May 11, 2013

This is definitely a top-of-the-line Hostal. We stayed one week at one of the rooms with a private bathroom and were very happy with the quality of the bed, linens and spacious bathroom. The breakfast was generous and delicious. Staff are very helpful and friendly. Surprisingly, the place is quiet at night. You can not find a better location at this price. Also, there is a Travel agency in front of the hostal which arranged a volcano climb for us. Fantastic experience! And, if you want a drink, view of the volcanoes and the sunset, just go upstairs to the bar. We would definitely recommend Hacia el Sur and if we return to Antigua, this is the place where we plan to stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

1 Thank lgaustin
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I went to Antigua to study Spanish. At first I did a home stay, but it wasnt for me... So I moved over to Hacia El Sur. And SO glad I did. I stayed there for several weeks.
What I loved about Guatemala were the people. And the local staff and owner of the hostel could not have been more friendly and welcoming. They took pride in the hostel and their city. They were genuine, and wanted their guests to be comfortable and feel at home.
Here is a little summary:

The rooms- I stayed in a private room, which was very large and clean. Before moving into Hacia El Sur, I visited a couple of "hotels." The private rooms were nicer and much more affordable than what I saw. I also stayed in a dorm for a few nights, which was also very comfortable.

The beds/ linens- Amazingly comfortable beds. Clean, crisp, and fresh bedding. More comfortable than my bed at home :)

The grounds/ garden- fantastic garden in the back. Hammock, seating, and nicely landscaped. Very comfortable for hanging out in the backyard. Other common areas also very nice.

The location- Amazing cafes/ bars/ restaurants within stumbling distance.

Security- I felt extremely secure there. I came back to the hostel late night on many occasions, and the night watchman was always there.

Staff- friendly, caring, and simply good people. If I needed anything, there were always there to help. Plus, they really know the city and country and are a great resource.

Breakfast- not just toast. They have a full menu of different options. From eggs/ bacon/ oatmeal/ pancakes/ juice/ coffee.... Fantastic breakfast.

Price- Great value for money. Very reasonable, especially for the service and quality you recieve.

To wrap up, this hostel was by far my favorite throughout my 2.5 months in Central America. Truly my home away from home. I was sad to leave the hostel and the friends I made there. Guatemala is an amazing place, and I will definately return to Antigua and Hacia El Sur. Stay there. You will not be dissappointed.

I traveled through Central America for over two months, and this was the cleanest hostel of them all.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Jesse L
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I've visited Antigua three times now, and each time I've returned to stay here!
The location is perfect. It is literally only a five minute walk to the main plaza, and there are great cafes on the same street for lunch/dinner.
Breakfast is included in the room rate and there are a good range of dorms, and private rooms (all with warm showers and the beds have new mattresses). Help is on hand for on going transportation, and always a friendly smile welcoming you after a long bus journey.
Highly recommend to all.