“One of the best in Antigua”
Review of 39 Azul - CLOSED

39 Azul
Cuisines: International
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

I love this place - very upscale menu - higher than average price for Guatemala but a budget on te world scale. If you are looking for something fancy Niels and his crew will not disappoint. Make sure to order the aqua-vit

There are newer reviews for 39 Azul

Reviewed March 11, 2014

This is in my opinion, currently the best in Antigua. Chef Nils Rykken has done it again. Beautiful ambiance, great service and the food is spectacular. Everything is fresh. Ask for the daily specials. You won't be disappointed. I've had the duck, the lamb, fish, meat, everything cooked to perfection. I might go again this weekend!

Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

Exquisite food. Lamb ribs and pargo highly recomended. Nice ambiance and music. Prices according to product quality and service.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

While my food was good (mango gaspatcho, suckling pig and sweet potato), my boyfriend's meal was as he described, "brutal". He ordered crab cakes (tasty), but there was a long black hair in his salad. The dish was whisked away, the crab cakes placed on a side dish and that was that. Next arrived his grilled chicken. It was a thin cut, blackened on the outside and tasting of propane on the inside. He politely pointed this out to a server, who brought the owner over. The owner suggested my boyfriend try a salad instead. He ordered the bacon/avacado shrimp salad. This was the worst yet and was very upsetting to him as we had really looked forward to our meal at 39 Azul. The shrimp tasted as if they had been thawed and frozen several times, the bacon was chewy and perfectly straight (from a box? Microwaved?). The greens had been doused in a brine like vinegar. The owner came over again (we were the only customers) and said "this is our most popular dish" and walked away. I am sure the open faced sandwiches are great, but otherwise I would order very carefully and not let your expectations get too high.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

After a long walk on the cobbled lanes of Antigua we felt we deserved a special lunch. We got it at 39 Azul. Royal blue reigns in the courtyard with its lovely fountain and orchids and it sets the tone in the cautiously modern designed rooms of this restaurant combined with an art gallery. A blond giant approached us while we savoured the sild and the ryker and told us a bit about the modern art he either collects or creates himself. Nils Rykken presides benignly over this heaven of advanced gastronomy in sometimes loud and a trifle too touristy Antigua.