“Nice change”

Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Nice change”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We visited 39 Azul a few weeks ago.

The menu is interesting as compared to other
fine dining locations in Antigua. Certainly the menu
carries a Europen flare as compared to others.

The cold soups are interesting but not to everyones
liking.

The fish is prepare well but no better than others in town.

The ambiance is very nice but far from enchanting which
you will find in the other handful of fine dining restaurants
in town.

And value as compared to other fine dining restaurants is
lacking.

• Visited April 2013
6 Thank Jim C

Cathedral City, California
“Make Sure You Experience This Restaurant!”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

From the moment we walked in the door the ambiance greeted us with a warm hug. Our servers were top notch; always there just when you needed something as if they anticipated what we required and then gone. But the food, oh dear god the food! The unique parings of flavors, and the presentation were like nothing I've experienced before. Absolutely brilliant! There are very few people who have the instinct to pair flavorings, and even fewer people who can do it like Nils. BRAVO! And thank you for a spectacular evening.

2 Thank Kevin R
New York, New York, United States
“Best Food I've had in Guatemala”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I've been to Guatemala 3 times. We have friends who live in Antigua, so we are always fortunate enough to have the locals give us their best recommendations for food. But I've never been as impressed as I was with our meal at 39 Azul last week.

I started with 4 "taster" sizes cups of the cold soups for an appetizer. Each once an explosion of unique flavor. Delicious. I was told the suckling pig was a specialty of the house. Don't think I've ever had it...it's not some scary whole piglet with an apple stuck in it's mouth (that was the image in my head anyway.) It's a melt in your mouth, crispy piece of pork heaven. Tastiest pork I've ever had. Oh and don't even get me started on the twice baked sweet potato. Jesus.

When food is this good you have to follow through to dessert. Let the waiter know you want the chocolate souffle when your main course is placed in front of you...you'll be glad you did.

The atmosphere is lovely. The artwork and lighting are gorgeous...I kept capturing views of the place on my iphone. Nils came by the table a few times the night we were there. But I don't think I got to rave about his food to him. I hope he reads this.

1 Thank Chris A
Antigua, Guatemala
“39 Azul is fine dinning at it's best in Antigua”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I went to 39 Azul to celebrate my birthday with friends and the private dinning room was perfect for the occasion. The food is sublime as I have been a fan of the owner for 10 years and this setting is a perfect blend of Colonial Casual and gourmet cuisine. The steaks are of the highest quality and highly flavorful which is rare in Guatemala. The french fries and twice backed sweet potatoes are worth the trip to Antigua alone. Order the chocolate soufflé while your having your main course and Chocolate Heaven will arrive at the end of your meal. Best fine dinning in Antigua by far.

Antigua
“best restaurant in Antigua”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Dinner is an overall experience at 39 Blue. The food is superb. Starting with the most unique selection of soups, follow by the best salmon pate in Antigua. Fish is always fresh and prepared to perfection. The suckling pig melts in your mouth. And you will be equally surprised with dessert created by Nils. Very elegant ambiance, the art collection, the attention to detail and presentation, first class. Chef Nils does it all.