“New Antigua favorite”

Ranked #85 of 388 Restaurants in Antigua
Cuisines: Contemporary, International, Wine Bar
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Michos is recommended by the New York Times in 36 hours in Antigua! It is where the food is Local, Fresh and most importantly Creative! A great place to come with friends and enjoy the creative foods and creative cocktails. Great wine selections as well! Home of the Avocado Margarita!
Reviewed February 28, 2014

There are several very fine restaurants in Antigua. Unfortunately, a few of them are panicking at losing their rankings to Michos. You'll see that in the off reviews for this restaurant. They can't possibly have eaten at the same place I did!

I do food. This was one of the most satisfying food experiences I have encountered in a very long time. The chef is a brilliant master of flavors. He works hard to take his recipes across the full palate. We had dinner for three set from small plates (4 plus an appetizer), a great bottle of Catena Malbec, and service for about $90.

Do not pass up the lamb sliders. Or the coconut shrimp. Or the pork tacos. Sauces like catsup are made in the kitchen. You will taste the freshness.

Service was exceptional and in English, which was nice at the end of a long day of my bad Spanglish. The tables around the shared courtyard are very relaxing.

Don't miss it. Go to Hectors, go to Tartines, and by all means go to Bistrot Cinq, but Michos is a place you'll want to visit more than once in Antigua.

TeamMicho, Owner at Michos, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Wow thanks for your encouraging words! It is always great to know there those visiting Micho's who appreciate the chef's plating and flavors! We are very grateful for your visit and hope to see you frequently when you visit Antigua!

Reviewed February 17, 2014

This past weekend we visited (4 of us) two restaurants both competing
for a fine dining experience. The first restaurant we visited (located
within a hotel) was exceptional in every manner. Ambiance, service,
menu selection, preparation, presentation and taste.

Then we visited Michos. Here I also had a steak. In both cases I
orderd my steak medium. At Michos it arrived rare and was served
on top of mashed potatoes which absorbed the blood and juices of
the meat. Disn{t eat the potatoes. Disn{t care for the over cooked
either.

The ambiance is average as compared to the other.

Service is the difference between a 3 star rating and the rating I have
given Michos. There is an aire of arrogance not befitting any restaurant.
If you ask a question about your food they appear immediatley defensive
vs. accepting of your comment.

Would not return.

TeamMicho, Owner at Michos, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Thank you for your visit to Michos, but i have to admit i am quite surprised by your review. i am not sure when you visited this past week, Friday we were sold out for Valentine's Day and Saturday i do not recall selling Filets to a party of 4 (mostly we sold our tuna special).

I am sorry the meet was not cooked to your liking, but if in fact it was too rare for you why did you not ask to have it cooked more?

I must take exception to your statement that there is "an air of arrogance not befitting any restaurant". i have no idea what you are talking about. This past weekend i was there most of the time and in fact was attending to most of the diners. There was laughing, email exchanges, customers talking to each other, etc.. i am not sure what you mean by arrogance and defensiveness.

I am sorry your experience was not what you wished, but your review does not seem to be like most of our reviews. With only a few tables we are able to be quite attentive to our clients and we immediately make changes when a customer is not happy.

Sorry for your experience, but it would be helpful to know more about your visit this past weekend.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Quality food, great bar. Tuesday nights Bobby Darling performs his very fun show at 7pm.
The only down side seems that they have taken the rib eye off the menu. My first visit there was in November 2013 for Sunday lunch and the steak was incredible, when I went for dinner in February that steak was no longer available - so sad. However the rest of the menu is worth going to try.

TeamMicho, Owner at Michos, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Thank you for your great comments about Micho's and thanks for your visit! Just to clarify a couple of things...Bobby Darling performs on Wednesday nights not Tuesday nights. Sorry you did not find the menu item you were looking for. The ribeye was on the menu back in the early part of 2013 (prior to that Micho's was owned by another person and the menu may have been different). Since the summer of 2013 we have been offering Filet Mignon. We are now buying local fresh beef and the quality is excellent. For those that visit Micho's every few months it is likely you will see menu changes as the chef and staff are always adding new items and taking some old items off the menu. We do this to provide our clients with new experiences. Thank you again for your visit and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed February 13, 2014

I have eaten here on 3 occasions recently and overall the presentation is beautiful and the food is delicious. I suggest you avoid the pork tenderloin with a coffee rub due to the addition of a sugary sweet chocolate caramel sauce. I am a professional chocolatier and I cook savory dishes with chocolate. I mentioned the too sweet sauce to the owner and server who asked me specifically about my experience. when He sarcastically responded that he apparently was not used to "professionals". I felt sad for this "downer" and had not wanted to make a deal of it.

TeamMicho, Owner at Michos, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2014

Thank you for visiting Micho's several times during your time in Antigua. Sorry for your experience with the Pork loin. Honestly the response to this dish has been overwhelming (at least that i have heard) but i understand that with your experience with chocolate your evaluation might be different. We both knew that before you ordered the plate. I do apologize that you felt i was being sarcastic as that was not my intention. i certainly would have changed the plate for you once taste was not to your liking. We not only appreciate your business but also your feedback and comments.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

My husband and I have been going to Antigua for years and now live on the lake a try to return every other month. We had heard good things about Michos and when our friends flew down to visit us we decided to try it out. Boy were we glad we did! Best meal we have had in Guatemala! The food is tasty and original, the service was excellent, the back courtyard was beautiful, and the drinks were delicious! We found out too late that you can also have a taste menu created by the chef of you give them a few days notice - which is what we plan to do for our birthdays! This was such a great find and will now be the place we look forward to when in Antigua! Don't miss it!