“Terrific 'gastropub'”

Ranked #66 of 376 Restaurants in Antigua
Cuisines: Contemporary, International, Wine Bar
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Michos is recommended by the New York Times in 36 hours in Antigua! It is where the food is Local, Fresh and most importantly Creative! A great place to come with friends and enjoy the creative foods and creative cocktails. Great wine selections as well! Home of the Avocado Margarita!
Canberra, Australia
“Terrific 'gastropub'”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Quality food, great bar. Tuesday nights Bobby Darling performs his very fun show at 7pm.
The only down side seems that they have taken the rib eye off the menu. My first visit there was in November 2013 for Sunday lunch and the steak was incredible, when I went for dinner in February that steak was no longer available - so sad. However the rest of the menu is worth going to try.

Visited February 2014
TeamMicho, Owner at Michos, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Thank you for your great comments about Micho's and thanks for your visit! Just to clarify a couple of things...Bobby Darling performs on Wednesday nights not Tuesday nights. Sorry you did not find the menu item you were looking for. The ribeye was on the menu back in the early part of 2013 (prior to that Micho's was owned by another person and the menu may have been different). Since the summer of 2013 we have been offering Filet Mignon. We are now buying local fresh beef and the quality is excellent. For those that visit Micho's every few months it is likely you will see menu changes as the chef and staff are always adding new items and taking some old items off the menu. We do this to provide our clients with new experiences. Thank you again for your visit and we hope to see you again!

Michigan
“Mostly great!”
Reviewed February 13, 2014

I have eaten here on 3 occasions recently and overall the presentation is beautiful and the food is delicious. I suggest you avoid the pork tenderloin with a coffee rub due to the addition of a sugary sweet chocolate caramel sauce. I am a professional chocolatier and I cook savory dishes with chocolate. I mentioned the too sweet sauce to the owner and server who asked me specifically about my experience. when He sarcastically responded that he apparently was not used to "professionals". I felt sad for this "downer" and had not wanted to make a deal of it.

Visited February 2014
TeamMicho, Owner at Michos, responded to this review, February 15, 2014
Thank you for visiting Micho's several times during your time in Antigua. Sorry for your experience with the Pork loin. Honestly the response to this dish has been overwhelming (at least that i have heard) but i understand that with your experience with chocolate your evaluation might be different. We both knew that before you ordered the plate. I do apologize that you felt i was being sarcastic as that was not my intention. i certainly would have changed the plate for you once taste was not to your liking. We not only appreciate your business but also your feedback and comments.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Little gem in Antigua!”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

My husband and I have been going to Antigua for years and now live on the lake a try to return every other month. We had heard good things about Michos and when our friends flew down to visit us we decided to try it out. Boy were we glad we did! Best meal we have had in Guatemala! The food is tasty and original, the service was excellent, the back courtyard was beautiful, and the drinks were delicious! We found out too late that you can also have a taste menu created by the chef of you give them a few days notice - which is what we plan to do for our birthdays! This was such a great find and will now be the place we look forward to when in Antigua! Don't miss it!

• Visited February 2014
“Outstanding”
Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

The Manager at Cafe No Se suggested Michos to us- eaten everywhere in Antigua over the years and never been. Booked a table (recommended) for a group of serious foodies visiting and us. They were very impressed. Wicked funny and attentive service, delicious cocktails, eccentric wines, starters amazing (try the chorizo clams) mains excellent in presentation, quality and portion and dessert the perfect finish.

Wonderful.

Thanks Michos! Coming back in April for the tasting menu.

1 Thank Steve K
TeamMicho, Owner at Michos, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thanks for your visit to Micho's and your review and we look forward to seeing you again in April!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“[Re: NealMeal, magic or duck fat?]”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I realized it was time to write a review when my best friend emailed me this about my return trip to Antigua and the gastropub:

[Re: NealMeal, magic or duck fat? found out its called Michos]
“Oh so jealous. His steak was SO good! That was the worst part of having Dengue Fever, was when we went back there and I was too nauseous to eat.”

It really is that good. I also just took a 6-hour standby flight to eat here and stay at a treehouse, though I will admit I have taken two hour train rides before for a slice of cake.

I found this this place by chance last year with a group of friends when it was just opened because we were lost, and it was dark out. We were expecting standard divebar fare, but were taken aback by how delicious the food was. Classics like tacos, steak, salad are done with non-classic ingredient lists that somehow work, are caramelized/torched/glazed just right. There are also a lot of flowers/petals involved, and these I have decided are not wholly pretentious because they taste great.

The chef and staff were really accommodating of a food allergy, and its one of the few places that we felt really safe eating at. That explains only part of why we went there three times in two weeks. The vegetarian sandwich is probably the best sandwich I’ve had, ever, and strangely there is no Spanish jamon, and no it is not a Bahn Mi. Yam fries do lack the state fair greasiness that I enjoy. Waiter and and chef checked in from time to time, and always had good wine recommendations. They also plated half portions for us this week to make food sharing easier. Heatlamps outside kept it cozy.

But show up for the food. Its inventive, complex( slightly obsessive), not expensive - a rare mix in a restaurant you can still mostly just show up at.

• Visited February 2014