“Easily one of the best hotels I've bee to!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Sor Juana

Hotel Sor Juana
Ranked #3 of 129 Antigua B&B and Inns
Heredia, Costa Rica
“Easily one of the best hotels I've bee to!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

This hotel is just one of the best hotels I've been to. It is not one of those big hotels but it being small actually makes it cousy. The staff is really nice. Julio is just amazing and understands that while on vacation, there should be no schedules! Julio is super customer service focused and does know how to treat clients and make sure you feel like at home. I can't stress enough how amazed I was by how nice they are; they even upgraded us to a bigger room just because it was available 2 days in our stay! HIGHLY recomend this hotel, I would go back for sure! Be careful, beds are sooooo good and confy that you wont want to leave them, hehe

Room Tip: Suites are amazing!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank ariasmjose

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

This hotel is one of those special places you will not easily forget. Once a colonial cloistered monastery, this building was lovingly restored to much of its original glory, and the additions that were constructed by the owners blend in perfectly, both in decor and in physical arrangement. Add to all of this the wonderful, friendly staff, and you have a great place to stay in Antigua.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Bob H
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

We recently spent 4 nights at the Sor Juana and I have to say our room and stay was just one ceiling fan from prefect. By that, I mean that if our room had a ceiling fan, I would have no complaints. Sitting on the roof terrance, eating fresh cooked breakfast, drinking cups of great Guatemalan coffee, and, oh yeah, theres a volcano to look at. Not too shabby.
Hotel is small, 5 rooms, and is in a renovated old house. We had a suite with twin queens, a sitting area, and a bathroom with a jacuzzi tub. Very clean, very comfortable with top notch toiletries. The entire roof of the house is a terrace, some covered, which was a great place to drink a little wine during the afternoon rainstorm.

It's about 5 blocks off the main plaza, which makes it quiet at night. The neighborhood includes the wildly popular Dominos franchise, several good resturants, and a couple of small stores to get supplies. Also, right accross from the hotel is a laundermat that will clean your clothes and deliver to the hotel. The only weird thing, which seems to be the norm in Antigua, is that all the houses are behind large walls that face the street and you have to buzz someone to be let in. We never had a key to get into the main door, but there was always someone to let us in. It being the rainy season, we didn't want to get stuck outdoors, and we never were. Almost everyplace in Antigua works this way and it made us feel very secure.

Julio the manager was incredibly nice and helpful. The staff couldn't do enough to help.
If you are in Antigua to do business, this place is probably not for you. If you are there to relax and experience Antigua, I can't say enough nice things about the Sur Juana.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank photoguy55711
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

I haven't even finished my stay at Sor Juana but am enjoying it so much that I just have to write my review now, while sitting in my beautiful room. Everything about this place is exquisite, very comfortable and homely. The staff are wonderful and really interesting to chat with, the bed is beautifully comfortable, and breakfast on the terrace with volcano views is a real treat and makes the room even better value. I particularly love the art and textiles decorating the whole place. If I didn't live so far away, I would say I'd come back to Antigua again soon just to stay here!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Unreal place to stay. We were nervous about staying in Guatemala and this hotel and staff made us feel right at home and safe. The property is stunning and the staff went above and beyond to make our stay memorable. The location is close to the strip and far enough that it is nice and quiet at bed time.

The staff we cannot praise enough, they helped us so much with day trips and even planning further into our backpacking adventure. Will recommend this hotel to everyone thinking of staying in antigua :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

I visited to Sor Juana with my mom and we were both completely struck by the style and comfort that Sor Juana offered. Julio gave us a tour of this cozy hotel that is hidden away from the normal hustle and bustle of Antigua, and we felt so lucky that we had chosen this place to stay while in Antigua. Breakfast that following morning was also amazing, as we had views of Volcan Fuego and surrounding Guatemalan hills. I will definitely recommend Sor Juana to anyone looking for the perfect hotel during their stay in Antigua.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

From the moment we entered the front door, we were treated like royalty. This small hotel looks unremarkable from the outside, but is a beautiful mixture of the 16th Century convent from which it arose and a modern, comfortable living space. It is spacious, beds are comfortable, and the view both inside and out are unparalleled. Only 4 blocks from the main plaza, very quiet at night.
Highly recommended! Thank you Julio.

Room Tip: We got a tour, and every room is perfect!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends