“Stay here!”

Ranked #3 of 128 Antigua B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Stay here!”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I haven't even finished my stay at Sor Juana but am enjoying it so much that I just have to write my review now, while sitting in my beautiful room. Everything about this place is exquisite, very comfortable and homely. The staff are wonderful and really interesting to chat with, the bed is beautifully comfortable, and breakfast on the terrace with volcano views is a real treat and makes the room even better value. I particularly love the art and textiles decorating the whole place. If I didn't live so far away, I would say I'd come back to Antigua again soon just to stay here!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Unreal place to stay. We were nervous about staying in Guatemala and this hotel and staff made us feel right at home and safe. The property is stunning and the staff went above and beyond to make our stay memorable. The location is close to the strip and far enough that it is nice and quiet at bed time.

The staff we cannot praise enough, they helped us so much with day trips and even planning further into our backpacking adventure. Will recommend this hotel to everyone thinking of staying in antigua :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I visited to Sor Juana with my mom and we were both completely struck by the style and comfort that Sor Juana offered. Julio gave us a tour of this cozy hotel that is hidden away from the normal hustle and bustle of Antigua, and we felt so lucky that we had chosen this place to stay while in Antigua. Breakfast that following morning was also amazing, as we had views of Volcan Fuego and surrounding Guatemalan hills. I will definitely recommend Sor Juana to anyone looking for the perfect hotel during their stay in Antigua.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed April 23, 2013

From the moment we entered the front door, we were treated like royalty. This small hotel looks unremarkable from the outside, but is a beautiful mixture of the 16th Century convent from which it arose and a modern, comfortable living space. It is spacious, beds are comfortable, and the view both inside and out are unparalleled. Only 4 blocks from the main plaza, very quiet at night.
Highly recommended! Thank you Julio.

Room Tip: We got a tour, and every room is perfect!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 17, 2013

The super helpful and friendly staff, the well decorated and comfortable room, the location, the delicious breakfast on the rooftop with one of the best views of Antigua, made our weekend getaway in Antigua such a pleasurable experience that we promised we'll go back to Hotel Sor Juana!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rebeca2001
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Only 5 rooms but what rooms! Each one is a suite, totally charming and completely different from the next (we looked). Having a rooftoop breakfast was a unique and fun experience. A short (10 minute) walk to the city center. A great value and super quality.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ted S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

I toiled with the idea of writing a review purely on account of wanting to keep Sor Juana a secret but that would seem unfair to other travellers. I also wanted to exhaust the professionalism of Julio and Jimmena who were helpful from booking to paying attention to our every need during our five day stay. I felt looked after in a very positive way. Sor Juana does Antigua proud. The hotel has character and a deep sense of history within its walls. It has been thoughtfully decorated to a high standard and is both comfortable and enchanting. Other reviewers oh this site have felt the rooms lacked light. Personally I don't see this as a problem. Breakfast was served on a splendid roof terrace with amazing views to the surrounding volcanoes. The coffee flowed without prompting. Traditional breakfast served with a tropical twist. The secret is now out and I hope other travellers treat Sor Juana with the respect and kindness it deserves. Well done a highlight and place to return to in the future.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple