“Metal working with Carlos”

De La Gente - Private Tours
Ranked #1 of 14 Food & Drink in Antigua
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Do you want a one-of-a-kind, true Guatemalan experience while supporting local communities, interacting with local Guatemalans and getting off the beaten path? Meet farmers and artisans and work alongside them in their homes, as you create your own souvenir and memories to last a lifetime. No experience necessary - just a sense of adventure. De la Gente is a non-profit that offers community tourism as a way to create a real cultural experience by encouraging interaction between visitors and local Guatemalans, as well as to supplement income for the farmers and artisans. Our goal is to make a positive difference in the lives of the people who visit us while having an impact on the lives of the people and communities with whom we work on a daily basis.
Newark, New Jersey
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Metal working with Carlos”
Reviewed September 1, 2014

We were a group of five including one child and we all enjoyed this experience. Carlos has a great personality and seems to really enjoy his work and it was fun to be around him.
Although metal working is a bit harder then what I anticipated.... We were all able to go home with a beautiful piece of Carlos art. If you can't finish.. he will finish it for you.

Iowa, United States
“Awesome Coffee Tour and Lunch”
Reviewed August 24, 2014

My Mom and I went on a coffee tour in August of 2014. It wasn't coffee harvest season, but we still got to see how coffee grows and learn about some of the challenges of growing it. After seeing the fields, we headed back to our guide's home, where we learned about coffee processing and roasted and ground some beans with his daughter-in-law. The resulting coffee was the best and freshet I've ever tasted. After the tour, we stayed for a delicious lunch of chicken and rice with the farmer's family. Since De La Gente is a cooperative owned by the farmers, the vast majority of the money you'll spend on the tour goes directly to support the farmer and his family. If you are in Antigua, you can't miss this tour!

Antigua, Guatemala
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Unique ONG, highly recommended!”
Reviewed August 23, 2014

De La Gente is an amazing nonprofit in Antigua that is helping people help themselves through artisan workshops and coffee export. Definitely do one of their tours for your most unique and authentic experience while you are in Antigua.

Houston, Texas
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Fantastic Educational Coffee Tour”
Reviewed August 14, 2014

Let me start of by saying I spent a week volunteering with As Green as it Gets prior to taking this tour, so I was able to live the coffee making process prior to taking the tour.

This is a short bus ride from Antigua and worth going to especially if you want to know how your daily cup of coffee is made, plus you get a POUND of coffee at the end of the tour. The tour is cheap, and you learn about every step of the process.

You meet in front of a historical church and then walk right up the volcano and the tour finishes with a cup of coffee.

This trip is for any eco tourist, coffee lovers, or anyone that wants to learn of day to day life in Guatemala.

Living conditions are harsh but seeing the love and passion these coffee growers have makes you appreciate coffee that much more.

Visited January 2014
Leon, Nicaragua
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“The true Sustainable/Organic learning experience”
Reviewed August 9, 2014

I have been living in Central America for the better part of 6 1/2 years.. a majority in Nicaragua.. I had the chance to visit coffee farms all around both of these countries now and am blessed to have run into De La Gente.. in all seriousness, I have never encountered a coffee cooperative that is so tightly run as far as the facilitation of organic & sustainble practices. I have been on multiple coffee tours with them, as each can be enchantingly different depending on which coffee farmer & family that the tour includes. There volunteer opportunities make a huge difference and I hope one day that I can attend their other cultural tours. I am proud to know these people and to see what they accomplish.. by far, the best way to spend your money in Antigua, hands down!!!!!

Visited November 2013