“Cute hotel”
Review of Posada Los Bucaros

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Antigua
Posada Los Bucaros
Ranked #36 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
“Cute hotel”
Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

I recently stayed here as part of a group tour. I believe this hotel works with Tucan travel.

As far as the hotel was concerned, the rooms are nice, clean and comfortable. There is free water, good wifi, and nice areas to hang out and relax.

However, the service we recieved in beginning the independent leg of our tour was absolutely appalling. Nothing was followed up correctly, we had to be very pushy just to get what we had paid for, such as our basic itinerary, breakfast and airport transfers. Everything this hotel was responsible for organizing was not only difficult, but very stressful. When we were finally off on the independent leg of our tour we had a last minute itinerary change, which found us staying in possibly the worst hotel in Panajachel.

After complaining to Tucan, we found out they had lied about where we stayed, and subsequently were asked by Tucan to provide us with complementary massages, breakfast and coffee beans. This in no way reflects on Tucan, only the level of services from the hotel. Very disappointing customer service. If you are traveling independantly with Tucan, ask not to stay here.

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed August 12, 2012

As I walked through the entrance of the Posada Los Bucaros, I was treated to a beautiful courtyard with lush greenery and a fountain. The receptionist didn’t speak any English, but she smiled when she handed me a cold and tasty welcome drink. Our rooms were not ready yet, so we left our luggage behind the front desk and went to explore the town.

After a few hours of touring, I was excited to get into my room and take a nice shower. As soon as I opened the door, I realized that my room didn’t match the nice courtyard area. I booked a three person room and it looked like the staff took a small room meant for one or two people and just added an extra bed. There was no room to put down my luggage, much less try and navigate it with three people. The one overhead bulb was extremely dim and the room had an overall musty smell to it. My towel was also very threadbare. The bathroom was functional and the hot water worked, so that was a bonus to the bad room.

Aside from the rooms, the rest of the hotel was good and I enjoyed their free Wi-Fi, strong coffee, tasty breakfast, and the great location.

China Grove, NC
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I stayed at Posada Los Bucaros for 4-1/2 nights of a week-long mission trip. There was at least one other mission team there, and a couple of tour groups.

If you are expecting a sound-insulated, air-conditioned room and everything by American style and standards, you will probably be disappointed. At Los Bucaros you will know you are in Antigua Guatemala. There is no air conditioning, nor is it needed. The ventilation is to the open courtyards and between rooms, so sound travels a bit. The roof is metal, and downright musical in the rain. There is no hot water in the sink, but the shower is fine. Everything was clean and well maintained.

The signature feature is the courtyards, which are exquisitely planted with tropical flowers and fountains, and artwork on the walls. There are plenty of places to sit and read or chat with friends. If you are staying downstairs, be sure to walk up the stairs for a great view of the city with the volcano in the background.

I'm sure the behavior of the other guests can make a significant difference, but I found the environs to be rather serene most of the day. However, you might be awakened at sunrise by singing birds, crowing roosters, and the sounds of the city beginning to stir.

The staff was very friendly and quite conscientious about caring for their guests and the hotel. Generally, Spanish is spoken here. I was enjoying muddling through with my iffy Spanish, otherwise I'm sure we would have been able to muddle through with iffy English.

The rooms can vary quite a bit. My room the first 4 nights was a single (#4), and it was tiny -- just large enough for a twin bed, a small closet area, and about 1.5 sq. meters of floor space. The bathroom was reasonably sized, though, and it was all I really needed. We weren't spending that much time in our rooms anyway, other than to sleep. The last night I was in a larger room upstairs with a more conventional queen bed layout, but the bathroom was more cramped. The rooms may seem dark, but I think that has to do with regional style and custom.

Our group did have the breakfast buffet, which was not particularly fancy, but very tasty.

WiFi is available throughout the hotel and works well, particularly in the public areas.

The improvements I would suggest are
1) get a better coffeepot, because Guatemalan coffee is too good for an old-fashioned percolator.
2) the ventilation in the rooms could be improved with ceiling or floor fans, maybe shutter vents over the door. The evenings in Antigua are wonderfully cool, but I had to leave my door open for a while to get the room cooled down.

2 Thank coolhandl
Wichita, KS
Reviewed July 18, 2012

The hotel is in a good location, and staffed with people who really want to be of service and care about the customer. There is a welcome beverage upon arrival and free coffee, water and WiFi. They were willing to make several phone calls for us to make arrangements and contacts for our activities in the area, and happily accommodated all requests. Credit cards are not accepted.

Room Tip: The rooms are laid out around two patios. A corner room might have less traffic going past it.
San Mateo, California
Reviewed June 8, 2012

This is a very old house located about a 10 minute walk from the main square (water fountain). Our room was on the ground floor next to the kitchen, so we smelled food cooking all day long-which was good and bad. The atmosphere is nice and calm, with some seating areas outside in the garden. You can also walk up to the roof to get an excellent view of the volcano!

Our room itself was not cosy. We stayed in December and it was very cold...there is no insulation at all-cracks under the door, wide hole (think window without glass) in the bathroom. The warm shower was inconsistent. The sheets were rough and it did make for a comfortable sleep.

The staff was super friendly and helpful-even waking up at early hours to prepare a packed breakfast for us for our volcano hike and letting us in late at night after a night out. We felt safe leaving our valuables at the front desk.

Its an OK guest house, it serves it purpose, but not entirely comfortable.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank sassibassi
Tyler, Texas
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Posada Los Bucaros is a short walk away from the yellow colored baroque-style Iglesia La Merced, near the famous Santa Catalina arch. The first thing I noticed at the hotel was about a dozen girls working there and not a single guy. The next thing I noticed was how noisy it was anytime someone walked on the interior walkway. It sounded like some soaking wet wearing sneakers squeaking down the walkway with each step. The shower had hot water and high water pressure (at 5:30 am). There were several separate interior courtyards with shade and seats. There is one computer with internet which one can use free of charge. I used their kitchen to prepare some food I bought at the nearby market. The room I slept in was like a coffin with a really high ceiling and a bathroom/shower attached. I feel confident they have much better options to offer as well though. I saw a different room which had two beds, a bathroom, and was about four times larger than the room I stayed in. They have free purified water which might not sound like a big thing now. But once you're there and you are literally having to consume a percentage of your holiday money just on water at the stores, you'll be glad to have the opportunity to fill up those empty water bottles you've been saving for an occasion like this. There is a locking external gate to this hotel which prohibits anyone from entering after dark without assistance from the hotel staff. There are several brightly colored locally produced paintings presented on the walls.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne
Reviewed May 2, 2012

My wife and I stayed here in April 2012 during the Holy Week festivities.
We initially weren't impressed by the value for money, even taking into consideration most hotels double their rates during this time. The hotel does not accept credit cards also which is quite unusual.

The reception staff were very cheerful and helpful when we arrived very late at night. The main problem we experienced was the noise!!!!!

The majority of rooms open out onto an internal courtyard and the walls between each room are very thin. Once someone somewhere in the hotel wakes up, starts talking, runs the shower, coughs or shuts a door everyone else in the hotel can hear it.

If you are a light to moderate sleeper I would recommend you avoid this place as you might have difficulties, other than that a pretty solid hotel.

Have fun

Room Tip: Buy ear plugs
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple