Soleil La Antigua
  • Breakfast included
$111
$98
Orbitz.com
Hotel Meson del Valle(Antigua)(Great Value!)
$69
$56
Hotel La Sin Ventura(Antigua)(Great Value!)
$49
$35
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Free Internet
Hotel Posada Dona Luisa(Antigua)(Great Value!)
$39
$37
Euro Maya Hotel(Antigua)(Great Value!)
$37
$36
Hotel Convento Santa Catalina(Antigua)(Great Value!)
$67
$63
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Hotel Casa Cristina(Antigua)(Great Value!)
$24
All reviewstimeshare exchangesoccer fieldkiddie poolfree shuttleconference centerbeautiful groundsla antiguastayed here for a weektuk tukwalk into townliving roomfront desk staffshuttle servicebottled watervery nice hotelbreakfast buffetfull kitchen
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 1, 2014

Let me start with the positive and say that it is in a great location of Antigua. It does go downhill from here. From the very beginning when we checked in, I gave the Front Desk Agent my ID and credit card. She told me that I didn't have a reservation and that was pretty much it. She totally looked at me like I didn't belong here and her body language told me to leave. I told her that I can look up the confirmation on my phone and give it to her. She looked at me like I was wasting her time. I found it on my phone and she miraculously found it. I couldn't believe that I had to go through this? Anyways, it's around 9pm and I'm in a foreign country and my reservation is for 2 weeks. What else can I do but stay. I did make a complaint to management about here but they didn't seem to care.

As far as the hotel, it's nothing spectacular. The water in the shower comes out brown at times. There is no air conditioning in the room and it gets stuffy. Where slippers because the floors are filthy and your feet will be black. Lot's of mosquitoes so you don't want to keep your door open. They charge you $7 per device per day for wifi that is bad. On Friday and Saturday nights, the property is busy. Sunday thru Thursday nights, there is no one here. I wonder why? Every time we went to the Front Desk for anything, the employees are not very friendly and it makes you feel like you are bothering them. The food in the hotel is terrible. The gym has one old bike, one old eliptical, one old treadmill and a bench with the oldest weights you have ever seen. You have timeshare people trying to get you to go to a presentation. They try and give you a $30 credit to the spa. I must have been approached 5 times and they even knocked on our door one morning.

After 12 disastrous and painful days here, we decided to check out 2 days early and stayed at Hotel Posada de Don Rodrigo right next store that truly cares about their customers.

Stay at the Hotel Posada de Don Rodrigo next store. It is a much better choice. Don't make the mistake that we did.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Kobesan2000
Reviewed July 31, 2014

Hotel Soleil is a great place for families. The rooms are ample and large, there are multiple pools to choose from and the included buffet breakfast was more than sufficient. The decor and gardens are beautiful. The hotel offers many amenities and is quiet during the week. On the weekend they offer activities for kids and it gets a bit louder. The main drawback is the location, it is located on the outskirts of Antigua and it takes about 15 minutes to walk to the main plaza. They offer a complementary shuttle service to town, but the hours are limited. Overall, I would recommend the hotel, but if you want a more authentic experience in Antigua, stay at one of the smaller hotels in the town center.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Kelly M, Gerente at Soleil La Antigua, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2014

Good morning:

Thank you for take a moment to write this lines about the hotel, it will be a pleasure to have you and your family in your next visit.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

As I stepped into this hotel, I was transported past the streets of Guatemala into quite the luxury experience. The outdoor halls to the rooms are draped in bright orange, delicate flowers that coordinate with the distant peaks of Volcan de Agua on the horizon. Fluffy, white beds were extremely comfortable and clean. I didn't see any spiders, which I was quite impressed with in Guatemala!

There seemed to be a constant influx of missionary groups or yoga retreats. Soleil is very accommodating to larger groups as well as families. Open space for events. Playground. Two pools.

The dining staff is what tops it all. Each worker served very passionately and respectfully. Even though our dining was serve yourself fresh buffet style, the staff was on top of the drink service. One morning my plate was carried for me as I was escorted from the buffet to my seat.

The only thing that was not up to par in my experience was my massage at the spa. Beautiful set up, but poor communication of comfort. The therapist was rather rough and disregarded my signals to lessen up. The language barrier didn't seem to be the only cause for the lack of listening. On the bright side, there is a gender oriented hot tub/ steam room/ and sauna in the gym that is a MUST! This opens at 6 with fresh eucalyptus leafs lining the sauna.

*Room request was generally quite slow. Laundry was expensive.

Keep in mind, despite the coziness of the room, flushing tp down the drain can cause plumbing issues. You are still in Guatemala people.

Room Tip: The villas have personal saunas which are amazing for relaxation. They host weddings/events with music till around 11- if noise is an issue for early risers, ask for a room close to the spa.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed July 20, 2014

I went with my mother and my 5 year old daughter. The pools were nice, the restaurant is amazing, they had a magic show that weekend that I wouldn't go to again, but my daughter thought it was great.

The rooms were nice, and I really liked the bathroom we had. The service was amazing.

I have nothing bad to say about it!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Kelly M, Gerente at Soleil La Antigua, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

Good afternoon:

We appreciate your comment about this hotel,

We hope you will visit us in your next trip to Guatemala, we will be pleasure to serve you and your family.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

This is a beautiful hotel and conference center that looks amazing and very professional. We had good rates based on the rooms being bundled with a Pullman bus package. We were pleasantly surprised by the grand appearance of the hotel and grounds but soon found that some of our expectations were not met. They obviously cater to large groups and convenitions and if you don't mind routine buffet food and lining up for large dining rooms it will probably suit quite well.
We found the food to be much better downtown near Central Park and much more varied and reasonable. The good news is that there is a free shuttle to Central Park several times a day and it is a very easy walk.
There is no free WiFi and it cost the equivalent of seven dollars per day per device and is strictly controlled. This is very uncommon for major hotels these days. Wine purchased at the bar was six dollars one day and eight the next for the same thing. Some facilities were only open on the weekend and then closed for a day or two and apparently the central pool, which is quite nice, is only heated on the weekends as well. It can be cool in Antigua in July and the water was refreshing, even for a Canadian.
There is no air conditioning in the rooms and not even a fan or exhaust fan in the bathrooms which made sleeping uncomfortable. There was a fireplace and wood but I am not sure when you would want to use it. To get any air circulation it was necessary to open louvered windows with no screens and one of the two nights we stayed there was noise after one in the morning from the large courtyard and maybe the pool that is supposed to be closed earlier.
Electronic room keys failed at least twice and had to be reset. The compound has secured access and taxis are available on site if you want to go downtown or sightsee and are reasonable but not cheep. Front desk staff were friendly and accommodating and there is a small business centre with computers by the hour. Spa service is avaiable and looked good but was not tried. Bar and dining staff are competent but some have limited English skills and we did experience some communications issues but nothing serious.
Over all it is a very attractive facility and will appeal to those who like security, predictability and resort style accommodation, at least in appearance. For a more authentic experience you might want to consider something smaller and closer to the main tourist distric. We felt very safe in central Antigua and will return but probably not to this hotel. Antigua has a lot to offer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the pool. There are also lap and kids pools on the grounds but it is the central pool and lounge area that can get noisy at night. The grounds are stunning so also consider the view if you will spend time in your room. With no AC you will likely have to open windows so noise is a consideration.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends