“Enjoyable hike!”

$78.00*
Pacaya Volcano Tour from Guatemala City
Ranked #3 of 86 things to do in Antigua
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Taken on a hike up the Volcano by a good friend who lives in Antigua. Was a fantastic experience. Hiked through shrubbery until we got through the tree line and were walking on cooled lava. The further up we got, the closer to the smoking summit! We couldn't get too close but we were able to see smoke coming from the lava. Found some caves in which we could set a branch alight due to the heat. A fab day out! (Even though I did feel a bit nervous the volcano may erupt at any moment!!)

1  Thank char72
Write a ReviewReviews (2,085)

Reviewed February 11, 2014

AWESOME! You have to be lucky to see red lava (it's possible about twice a year), but even without you still get to roast marshmallows, see smoke coming from the ground and wander around it what seems like another world. Don't go for the views, because there's other volcanoes, but go for the raw scenery of dried up lava.

I see some reviewers sayings it's a tough walk, which is not true. If this it tough for them, I'd recommend getting some exercise immediately. If you're in your twenties you can run up this hill in 30 minutes. My grandmother at 85 years could do this. It's slightly uphill for a bit over an hour. I'm not in good shape whatsoever, but this a walk in the park compared to all other volcanoes in Guatemala. So don't let the other reviewers scare you off - ANYONE that doesn't have physical disabilities can do this.

Public transport / chicken buses are difficult, so better opt for booking a shuttle at an agency. Expect to pay between 50 and 80Q (and another 50Q for park entrance).

Reviewed February 8, 2014

Just back from this wonderful experience. Maybe because the wonderful weather, but not strenuous at all. As a matter of fact: I did most of the climb barefoot. Only at the top the Stones were too big and sharp so I put on my sandals. But what a view!! My advice: if you are in reasonable condition: Do it and enjoy!
And yes: they even sell coffee underway. . . Cheap andere sweet.

Reviewed February 7, 2014

Booked a trip to the Volcano with the hostel and they didn't give us any info at all so didn't know what to expect.

Took about an hour to dive to the volcano where the guides are, there is a bathroom there. Then you head up the hill with your guide and right at the start there are kids renting out walking sticks and people with horses that pray on your weakness.. The kids stay at the bottom and the horses follow you a while until they finally turn around. The views on the way up are awesome and you get to see a lake and the other two volcanoes. Once you start getting closer to the top the fog socked us in and made it feel like even more of an adventure! you stop 1/2 way for 10 min or so then continue on. Once at the top we were told to stay in a group cause we couldn't see far which was fine. Got to the heat vent and roasted some marshmallows and cheese sandwiches. It was chilly and windy at the top but stand next to the vent and you will heat right back up. After 10min there you hike back down. Once we started walking away from the vent some rocks moved... turns out two weeks later there was an eruption :) Wish we could have seen the view from the top but I felt like I was walking on another planet so it was well worth it. Def one of the coolest hikes I have been on! Everybody should do this hike.

1  Thank Tim N
Reviewed February 7, 2014

On a clear day, you can see for miles and miles and miles...and two oceans! Worth every step up and and up and up. Imagine how much fun you'll have telling your friends you climbed a volcano! A bit of a hike and best that you're in good physical shape. Don't forget your agua.