“Breathtaking”

42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Breathtaking”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

climbed up this the second day in Antigua and although it is steep can easily be climbed in about hour and a half! views on the way up are very nice and once you get to the top you can roast marshmallows from the heat of the volcano underneath- good fun! lots of animals to see on the way up as well, as well as views of the other volcanoes etc. American guy at the top selling some lava souvenirs which are relatively cheap and sweet as a memory, rings made from lava etc. would recommend it!

Visited August 2012

• Polish first
London, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Easy walk and you get to toast marshmallows in a volcano crack!”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Not a challenging walk at all, but very fun. The guide we had was informative and we were able to toast marshmallows and get in a warm pot hole.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank greenfeet4
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“A great adventure - but not as easy as they say”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I went with my kids 6 & 8. We had been advised that it was easy, but I found it pretty challenging (I'm in pretty good shape). The locals have horses for hire (100Q) at the bottom- at first I said no, then after 15 minutes, we took one for the kids and it was well worth it. The horses can only go about 3/4 of the way. The last part is all loose lava rocks. Our guide brought marshmellows to roast in the hot coals. The kids are still talking about it.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Flashdognyc
Los Angeles, California
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“A lifetime experience!”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Whoa! First time climbing a volcano. Every breath up the volcano was well worth it. It took us about an hour and half to get to the top. We stopped at various points to rest and overlook certain viewpoints of the valley. The guide did not speak english, and I was fortunate to speak spanish however, some of the group did not so their experience might not have been as great as mines.

The first and last 20 minutes were the toughest, however doable as long as you are in shape. There are horses that you can rent to take you to the top. As we approached the top I was a bit scared that the sky wouldn't clear up but thankfully as we reach the top the valley cleared before our eyes and we were able to snap photos of the lake, the valley and the 3 volcanoes across, it was magical.

We didn't reach the crater as the guide said that it was prohibited at that time, but the sight was well worth it. We spent about 30 minutes walking around the top of the crater. The grovel around the top was very interesting and at times it seemed like we were on the moon. The guide took us to some steam holes were you could see steam coming out. He also gave us the now famous marshmallows. I didn't have one for the reason that you don't know the types of chemicals coming out from the steam. Call me crazy but I can cook marshmallows at home or at camp. The gesture of the guide was in good nature though.

The walk down was relatively fast and easy.

A once in a lifetime experience that I recommend everyone to take when you are in Guate.

As I read through the reviews I wanted one question to be answer and that was on how "in shape" you need to be to take the hike up. Here's my take on the answer:

I am about 235, def a bit on the heavy end. Not completely in shape, though I walk at least 2 miles each day. I prepared for this trip by walking 4 miles each day before I came to Guate. If you don't at least routinely walk on your daily life, the hike will definitely be challenging plus remember that due to altitude you may go out of breath at times. You don't have to be in complete shape to do this as the top is not that high, this is one of the shortest volcanoes in guate. The trail is well maintained and there is now a lot of security throughout the trail. I hope that helps

Visited July 2012
6 Thank W0rldViajero
San Francisco, Ca
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Wonderful experience hiking up Pacaya volcano”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

This adventure is highly recommended. Took a tour van traveling from Antigua with a gaggle of folks from all over the world. Very friendly people! After we arrived, we had a guided hike up the volcano which is a definite climb uphill but quite doable. The hardest part was when we got close to the top (with loose and sharp lava rock). One had to be careful not to twist your ankle. Note that one can hire a pony to take you up the volcano but if you are in moderate shape you should do quite well.

What a thrill to climb up the volcano and hike past the steaming fumaroles and then for a kick roast marshmellows over steaming vents (you sometimes see glowing hot rock underneath). The hike back down was very sweet......i took the sunset hike and came down around 7 PM or so and the view of the sunset and other volcanoes in the distance was outstanding.

Be sure to bring good hiking shoes or sneakers (i wore sneakers). Don't recommend sandles. Have a great time!

Visited March 2012