“Our favorite”
Review of Aurora Hotel

Aurora Hotel
Ranked #22 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
Reviewed February 18, 2008

A friendly, homey place with a fantastic location in the center of Antigua. The courtyard is wonderful, full of flowers and hummingbirds. Breakfast is delicious. Incredible coffee. They were so helpful and friendly (though it's good to speak a little Spanish as not all of the desk staff speaks English). Try to get a room in the back, as the ones on the street can be a bit noisy, but not bad at all. Very comfortable and clean. We will definitely stay here again on our next visit.

• Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank md001
There are newer reviews for Aurora Hotel

Reviewed January 7, 2008

Trip Advisor reviews are right on for this hotel. This place is a gem.

Eight of us stayed twice over the Christmas holiday. The first afternoon, we were met at the brand new Guat Airport by Ernesto, a terrific, safe and knowledgable driver. The airport is still under construction but very nice. Outside was hectic but we found Ernesto easily. He whisked us off to Antigua (45 minute ride) and the hotel. The first half of the ride from Guat City to Antigua was through downtrodden areas of Guat City. Afterwards, there were great views of the city and nearby volcanos. You can even see lava when it's dark.

We entered the building through a corridor with a gate at the end. We were buzzed in (you had to ring the bell in the upper left of the gate) and checked in on the far side of the courtyard. The building is classic colonial and well maintained. The courtyard has flowers growing everywhere and a nice fountain in the middle.

The staff was terrific and helpful. They juggled rooms around (unprompted) for us to make sure we were happy. Three women were around most of the time and were extremely helpful, accommodating, and spoke english well. The night staff that I interacted with spoke little english. I recommend e-mailing the hotel directly for reservations. They were very good at replying and were very accurate with information.

My wife and I had room 11 the first night, and 12a the second time we stayed about a week later. My sons and their friend had #12. Rooms 12a and 9 had two queen beds, tons of space, 15' high ceilings, nice bathroom and (if you need it) 70-80 channels on TV. The beds were comfortable and warm (it was in the 40s at night). Room 12 had three doubles with the same feel. Rooms 7 through 12 have exterior windows on one of the roads leading out from the square but, with the windows closed, there was very little noise. I think it might be hard to sleep with the windows open in these rooms. The side streets were marginally more quiet. (The roads in Antigua are all cobblestone; it's not possible to be quiet).

The bathroom was very clean and offerred soap and toilet paper only. Sinks were in the bedroom. Note that in most places in Guatemala, toilet paper is put into the waste basket next to the toilet, Aurora is no exception.

Aurora is perfectly situated two blocks from the main square, which was busy night and day. We were first there on a Friday, and lines snaked out the banks and around the corner, presumably for people looking to cash checks or withdraw money. I found only one bank, on the opposite side of the plaza from the church, that had an ATM machine (both Quetzales and USD). There was a seperate line for the ATM machine. Armed guards are at all banks and even some restaurants and hotels (not Aurora). It's your call whether that makes you feel safer or not...

That night, we went to Fonda de Real Calle restaurant for some local cuisine. It is a chain restaurant but serves a variety of Central American food. Eight of us ate for $100. Recommended.

The following morning, we left at 5:30am which was unfortunate since we were not able to have a relaxing breakfast at the hotel. It probably is very nice. However, the night staff made small bagged snacks for our trip and happily sent us on our way.

Ten days later, we stayed again and had the same delightful experience. We had dinner at an Argentinian restaurant that I wouldn't really recommend. Nice spot but mediocre food.

There is lots of fun shopping nearby and a great candy shop right across the street from the hotel (see pic). Wonderful, unusual, handmade candies.

Regarding security, I was duly concerned based on State Department warnings. However, I found Antigua to be safe. I guess though that if you are wandering around drunk, by yourself at 3am, you might get into trouble. But that would be a problem anywhere, right?

The only thing that surprised me from two weeks in Guatemala was how little most people spoke english, even on the beaten tourist paths. I'm not complaining, and at times, I enjoyed the challenge of using my rudimentary spanish, but for those who want to interface in english at any time, Guatemala is probably not the place to visit. I would urge anyone to listen to spanish language tapes prior to your visit.

Finally, when you tip in Guatemala, give each person the tip that you want. If two people help you at the airport, split the tip and hand it to each person. We made the mistake of giving $20 to one person assuming he'd share it. We then had to fork out more money to the second person who did far more work...

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
6  Thank brownbeer
Reviewed January 3, 2008

The Aurora Hotel in Antigua Guatemala is an excellent choice for those looking to get a feel for Spanish courtyards and breakfast on the patio.

Each room opens onto the central courtyard which is lush with flowers, a bubbling fountain, and singing birds. While the room I stayed in was not air-conditioned, the cool clean tiling and mountain breeze of Antigua made for excellent sleeping. The double doors open onto the courtyard, which doesn't make for exceptional privacy, but does however encourage one to share stories with other guests over a delicious cup of Guatemalan coffee or a bottle of wine before bed.

The staff were impeccably friendly and while not all could speak English fluently, communication was never a problem. The complementary breakfast was the best I had during my stay in Guatemala, with a menu to suit the pickiest eaters (a fine breakfast for two would be the fruit plate, juevos rancheros, and french toast). The hotel is only a short walk from Antigua's central plaza. There is secured parking for those with a car.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ixm
Reviewed November 14, 2007

We stayed here a few years ago and it was wonderful. The highlight of our stay was breakfast in the lovely courtyard garden - a haven of peace and quiet, with beautifully tended flower beds and gurgling fountain. Perfect before setting out to discover the delights of Antigua.

• Stayed: August 2004, traveled as a couple
4  Thank dm75017
Reviewed August 23, 2007

My whole family found this colonial hotel to be ideal. It was secure, private, peaceful and friendly. My family felt safer in this hotel than other ones during our stay, especially with our daughters of 11 and 5 years old. It also provided a secure parking lot for our rental car. The entrace is secure, especially because it is not shared with any restaurants like other hotels in the area. We were also glad that many restaurants and attractions started with in the same block and at about 2 block of many other attractions.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
6  Thank emolina22206
Reviewed August 15, 2007

A perfect place to stay in Antigua. 2 blocks from the central plaza, and an easy walk to everything in town. The hotel kindly sent a driver to pick us up at the Guatemala City airport. Behind the large wooden door fronting the street, we entered a lovely garden oasis, with plants, flowers, and haging vines surrounding a central fountain. Our room was clean and had a large, soft king bed, with a simple but very clean bathroom. Thick windows and shutters blocked the street noise outside our window. However, the courtyard outside our door seemed to echo and magnify the sounds of noisy hotel guests outside. Breakfast is included, and is yummy! The hotel is nonetheless a restful retreat after a day of exploring the City. I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank AmieeandJohn
Reviewed June 6, 2007

I was a Peace Corps Volunteer from 84-86 in Guatemala. While my stipend was too low to afford the Aurora as a volunteer, I have always stayed here over the years since my PC experience. It is my favorite hotel in Antigua, and I've stayed at many. Now if there was a way to stop the busses honking their horns at 6 am every morning so you could sleep later!!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family