“Great Ruins”

$266.00*
Antigua Guatemala Day Tour: From San Salvador
Ranked #10 of 86 things to do in Antigua
More attraction details
Owner description: One of many ruined churches in the city, this multi-domed church is often visited by pilgrims seeking answers to their prayers from Friar Hermano Pedro, the beatified 17th-century monk buried inside.
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Must see worth the admission, walk grounds by yourselves and reflect about the past. Majestic artifacts and ruins.

Wish that one admission would cover all sites, nickle & dime tourists for Q$ 40 each time!

Reviewed January 20, 2014

My wife and I did a tour of the Church of San Francisco during our three day stay in Antigua. It is one of the larger ruins in Antigua. There are several places for good photographic opportunities. The museum was nothing special. One tip: negotiate the price of the tour with the guide before taking the tour.

Also, take an umbrella during the rainy season. It was our first day in Antigua and we got caught out without our umbrella because it looked nice when we left the hotel. We got caught several blocks from the hotel when a downpour started. We got drenched. We took our umbrella with us the next two afternoons no matter how nice it looked when we left our hotel. And it ended up raining each afternoon.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

The church is beautiful. I like to learn about the people & the history when I go somewhere. This church hit all the points. I learned about the church, the people, the wars, how the city came to be etc. Remember to bring 2$ to use the restroom.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

First and foremost, make sure you wear pants or you won't be allowed in!

We went on a Sunday while church was going on which made it a unique experience. We saw the tomb of Saint Brother Pedro (where people pray 24/7) and then made our way to the ruins and museum. Museum was ok; lots of random objects but non of the information was in english so I had no idea what anything was. These were not my favorite ruins (La Merced was) but they were the biggest.

I was put off by the amount of merchants outside of the church--ESPECIALLY on a Sunday. Wouldn't list it as a must see in Antigua.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Amazing to see. Great opportunity for pictures and good dose of history from this beautiful piece of history. As with other attractions in Antigua, if you can get a tour I would recommend it so you know the history behind what your looking at. A must see on a beautiful day!