“lovely place”

Hotel Posada de Don Rodrigo
Ranked #14 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
Reviewed April 14, 2012

This place is absolutely gorgeous. the grounds, the rooms....everything is just stunning.

Unfortunately I had a bad nights sleep as my room was near the restaurant. fortunately the restaurant closed fairly early so the noise from that went away, but then there was the kitchen noise-people talking, pots and pans. and then of course the kitchen noise started early again in the morning. and others in outer rooms complained about the noise from the street keeping them up all night. so really you want to get an "inner" room.

but the place is so lovely I really didnt care about a little noise.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hotel Posada de Don Rodrigo

Reviewed April 7, 2012

Arrived in Antigua after a gruelling flight from the UK to be met by helpful staff, a lovely room complete with antique furniture all set in the most beautiful gardens. The hotel was originally a convent and the majority of rooms are in the cloisters, looking out on to the central square, now filled with trees, flowers and plants. The breakfasts were the best I enjoyed during the whole Llama Travel tour of Guatemala. It is within very easy reach of the town's main square and various churches and gardens. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 1, 2012

After walking the charming streets of colonial Antigua, we arrived at the restaurant at Posada de Don Rodrigo for lunch. Set inside the open piazza of the hotel, we ordered beer and wine while perusing the menu. While glancing at the garden, I noted a woman in traditional garb hand making tortillas............a bit of authenticity to this NJ resident. Ordering traditional, delicious food was just part of the highlight of this experience The staff was congenial yet professional, the furniture appeared to be hand made in traditional, antique design, and the setting is a true gem in charming, delightful Antigua..

We did NOT stay in the hotel but would speculate that the accommodations would be as historically rich as the dining, dining room, and experience was.

Reviewed March 17, 2012

This lovely hotel is perfectly located on the most beautiful street in colonial Antigua, just steps away from the famous bridge that crosses that streets and frames views of the surrounding churches and volcanoes. Everything about my stay at the hotel was perfect, including the food and service at the excellent restaurant located on its first floor. Location alone would be enough to recommend the hotel, but it earns its five stars by the beauty of the interior courtyards, the spacious rooms, the comfortable beds and bathrooms, and the extremely helpful, friendly and knowledgeable staff. Highest possible recommendation.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Rick049
Reviewed March 10, 2012

Spent our 33 wedding anniversary there (Feb 23rd). we have been there before. They have one of the best, if not the best service in the country of Guatemala. the rooms go from very old construction to very modern yet they all portray the architecture that makes Antigua such a charming place. Breakfast was a delight with the view of the Volcan de Agua (the Watter Volcano) so close you feel you can touch it, and food quality to mach. A big Plus is their Coffey, the best in the world.

A magnificent experience that i recommend to everyone.

Room Tip: the new construction is warmer than the old ones, but they all have real wood burning fireplace. any...
1  Thank Happytraveler55-gua
Reviewed March 3, 2012

My husband and I were very please with Posada de Don Rodrigo. We arrived in Antigua at 1am and the check in was quick and the brought us to our room on the 1st floor. We didn't like the room, it was not what we had requested, but considering the time of the night and how tired we were we took the room for the night. In the morning we were told to just pack our things and go on with our scheduled activities and they would take care of everything. When we came back, we were directed to our new room that was spectacular!!! They also provided some delicious mini muffins!!
The posada's breakfast, included in our rate, was very nice since it was a la carte and we were able to choose from a large menu.
You can spend a long time getting lost around all the gardens, galleries and the terrace, I believe, has the best view in Antigua. Take time to explore and enjoy all the details, decorations and vegetation!
We stayed in this hotel for 5 nights and left to go to Atitlan for 2 days. Unfortunately, they didn't have space for us to stay at their place in Panajachel or spend the last 2 night we had in Antigua.
When we came back to Antigua from Panajachel, I realized I have left a pair of sandals at Posada de Don Rodrigo. I called them, they took my request and the following day they called the hotel I was staying saying that my sandals were there!!! I couldn't believe it!!!
For that reason and all the wonderful interactions we had with the hotel employees, I just love the place. It has one of the best services I've encountered!
I would definitely go back to Posada de Don Rodrigo on my next time in Antigua!

Room Tip: We were in La Posada del Amor Eterno on the ground floor near the restaurant. It was a huge beautifu...
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Staff is wonderful and very helpful. Try for a room on the inner court yard away from the street. We slept well and kept our windows an door open to view the cross not the hill at sunrise!

• Stayed: February 2012