“Great location, beautiful grounds & service”

Hotel Posada de Don Rodrigo
Ranked #14 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
Florida
“Great location, beautiful grounds & service”
Reviewed December 31, 2011

Walked into this hotel with it's elaborate entrance into a very large garden courtyard. Inquired as to how much and viewed a room for 4. It was a great location, good breakfast, and beautiful grounds. Room overlooked the street but the heavy glass with wooden doors sealed the outside noise and light. Hot water always and excellent maid service. The staff at the hotel said 'Buenos' everytime we walked by them. They were very friendly and hotel very safe!

Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Turkish first
Clovis, California
Reviewed December 27, 2011

Posada de Don Rodrigo is one of the the most ideally situated hotels in Antigua, Guatemala. I first visited this hotel in 1989 and recall being overwhelmed with it's luxury. I was 9 years old. Now as an adult, I continue to be impressed with this hotel with it's colonial charm and superb service. I have stayed at this hotel twice, once traveling alone (2003) and the other with my partner (2006). The hotel has everything you need, a beautiful courtyard and a wonderful authentic restaurant. The treat is the homemade tortillas that you can see being made in their traditional comal and the marimba that plays in the courtyard every Sunday.

The terrace is gorgeous and provides stunning views of the surrounding volcanoes.

Even though you do not pay the high prices of other hotels in the area, the service you receive is fantastic.

I have to share this story.

In 2006 as we walked through the cobblestone streets of Antigua, I fell and hurt my ankle. I was unable to walk on it and was several blocks away from our hotel. We were able to wave down a tuk tuk and get back to the hotel. Upon our arrival the door men quickly came to my aid and helped me hop into the hotel. When the receptionist saw that I was hurt, they quickly provided us with keys to a new room on the first floor (our room was in the second floor) and called a doctor for us. They were so compassionate and helpful, they made a very unpleasant situation very comfortable for us.

If you do not decide to stay at this hotel, I highly encourage you to take the time and visit the grounds and perhaps, enjoy a drink on the terrace You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JAB2011
Slovakia
Reviewed December 25, 2011

This is one of the most beautiful hotels I have ever stayed at. Abundance of colonial genius loci, literally every room is different in layout and decoration with antique furniture. A splendid view from terrace over rooftops of Antigua Guatemala, Volcán de Fuego and Volcán de Agua dominating the scene. So even when there is no buffet breakfast (you have to make your choice from menu containing mostly eggs), there is no spa or pool I am pretty sure you won't care for night or two. Located very coveniently close to main square and other landmarks, it's perfect starting point for attractions in Antigua Guatemala. Go and give it a try!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Martin_NR
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 19, 2011

Very Nice staff, cool room opening on to.beautiful interior courtyard. Good breakfasts, dinner just OK, altho free "native" singing and dancing was entertaining during the meal.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
anipele@yahoo.com
Reviewed August 12, 2011

It had been 11 years sense my last visit. It continues to one of the finest in Antigua. The service is fantastic, staff are friendly and helpful. Rooms are great, decorated with local charm. Great hot water and don't miss the papas hash for breakfast. The only thing it misses is a pool or spa. The location can't be beat.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
colorado
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Great hotel! I have stayed here every time that I have been to Antigua and would stay there again. They offer free coffee service to you room and upon arrival you get free lemonades. There are two computers that have internet access (free). There is plenty of hot water and it only takes a couple of minutes to get hot. The beds are comfortable. The rooms really vary in size and layout. I've stayed in 3 different rooms and my favorite (one double bed) was 206. We were there with a group and they allowed us to keep groceries in their refrigerator and also allowed us to use the meeting room as needed. The breakfast is awesome (8 meal choices). I had the asparragus omelet and it was delicious! You can eat on the roof top terrace for breakfast which I would recommend. The only downside is that it's kind of noisy. The rooms are not sound proof at all but I would imagine this is the case in any hotel in Antigua.

Room Tip: If you're in the 200's you won't hear rain beating on the roof.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Newark, New Jersey
Reviewed April 25, 2011

Posada Don Rodrigo is in a perfect location. We were there for the days surrounding Palm Sunday and many processions passed our hotel. It is close to everything.
My friend and I booked a room with two beds for three nights. For some reason one of our beds was actually a cot. It is the worst "bed" I have ever slept in anywhere. My hips are still sore one week later and I am not old. After complaining they did switch us to another room but I never did get a real answer of why we were given a cot.
Wakeup calls are available but we never recieved ours both of the nights we requested one.
Even with the problems I would still consider staying at this hotel again because of location but I would double check our beds.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends