“Amazing!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 79 Hotels in Antigua
Chicago, Illinois
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We have never seen or heard of a place like this. It is incredible beautiful. i have never seen staff work so hard and be so friendly. The rooms was amazing. Best pillows i have ever used. The food was so affordable and so delicious. 5 stars!

1 Thank edal2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Well you sure as heck wouldn't know it when you pull up to the resort, but this place is paradise in Antigua.

You drive up on the cobblestone streets of Antigua and everything is kind of the same off white color and there isn't a lot of greenery and then you step into Casa Santo Domingo. You are welcomed with lush greenery, flowing fountains and aquaducts, and piped in hyms/chants of old. This converted monestary is something to be seen. Beautiful ruins cover the landscape and various artifacts and art line the walls. The pool is heated. Ugh, its just fabulous.

The service is top notch. They are very accomodating to any of your needs. All you have to do is ask.

The ice and water at the hotel are supposedly safe, but I opted for bottled just to be safe. As well I steered clear of lettuce, tomato, etc. as per instructions from people who had been here before (water-born disease which grows into fruits/veggies without peels...)

I have noticed a few people talking about the noise of the rooms. I can speak clearly to that. While they close off the gate to the property at night and you have to show your room key to get in, it can still be loud at night depending on which part of the property you are staying. We stayed in room 254 (I believe) which has a wonderful balcony but it faces the entry corridor. With the size of the property, there is always a wedding or big family dinner happening and with it comes noise. A couple nights I was woken up by loud chatter in the entry corridor. I was able to quickly fall back asleep, but its there. I would suggest the rooms that are off behind the pool as there isnt much traffic late at night and the pool closes at 10.

Other than that, I had a blast here and would recommend Casa Santo Domingo to anyone looking for 5 star treatment at a very reasonable cost.

Room Tip: Rooms behind the pool are probably the quietest. The west side of the property, I believe. The oth...
1 Thank P00ty
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Hello !! I highly recomend Casa Santo Domingo at Antigua Guatemala A++++!!!
I was there about a month ago and can tell this is one of the most beautiful places to stay, eat and in overall enjoy!
the service was super cordial, people were very respectul and friendly, restaurant was amazing and the building structure is gorgeous . I am definitely coming back !!
Muchas felicidades para la Casa Santo Domingo sigan manteniendo la calidad del servicio !!
Milena B

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We were married here with 52 guests and most of them stayed at the hotel. This place is a wedding factory and it's a beautiful setting so I can see why. I loved it all BUT I have some complaints...if not for these the setting and food gets 5 stars.
Wedding: They sent me a step by step in advance and then night of completely ignored all of the changes I had made. I made these changes 3 weeks prior to the wedding so their was no excuse. Small but important things like they didn't serve the hors d'oevres at 4:30 as specified and I had to go ask them twice to bring them out. Finally at 5:30 pm they appeared. The service was slow and oddly staggered (this also happened for a couple meals before the wedding). I was done with my 1st course before my mother even got hers and hers was cold. They also didn't have all of the liquor I asked for. They also insisted on charging us for a bottle of wine that was corked.
Rooms: Are great and have great water pressure. BUT...They also released all of the rooms we had on hold without our consent and were not helpful when we got mad. What's worse is that when we arrived they put my then fiance and I in a room with 2 double beds. When I asked if we could switch they said no and that it was our fault because we had agreed to stay in them. I looked back at the emails, they were wrong. They clearly say one room double occupancy, nothing about two beds. I gave up because we were moving to the suite before the wedding.
Spa: If you have other options I would take them because this is not the best place. It was $40 for a basic manicure and $40 for a basic pedicure plus my manicure was completely chipped by the next day. Not only is this pricey for Antigua...the spa is tiny and chairs are not comfortable.
All of this being said I will return to stay next time I am in Antigua and if I had to do the whole thing again would still do it with them. The food was good and the staff super attentive but I had to be honest about the issues.

• 5 of 5 stars
David B, Director Comercial at Casa Santo Domingo, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments through Trip Advisor, we only regret not having known opportunely about them in order to fix them.
F&B services where programmed as indicated in the approved instructions you sent. The delay with the hors d'ouveres service was due to your Mothers last minute indications. As you might remember, beverages where also requested last minute.
Prior to making a wedding room block in our system, we inform our Clients of the procedures and this way avoid misunderstandings. You may check the info. sent and understand why we can't keep a room block without guarantee for so long. Also, when we received your personal request, all rooms with a king size bed were taken by your same party (you may also check the reservation slip we forwarded indicating that the room confirmed had 2 full size beds.)
Our Spa is actually a "Training Center", the new Spa is under construction and we are working to improve the facilities and equipment to make it a complete spa experience - we will proceed to reimburse the amount charged (US$80.00) and regret you didn't receive the service expected. We also recently changed the lacquers to a better brand to avoid having this type of inconvenience.
Thank you for staying at CSD, we hope to have the opportunity of serving you in a near future...
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Although I did not have a room with a view, all I needed to do was step outside to experience the luxurious beauty of Casa Santo Domingo. The room itself was large as was the bathroom. Service was top-notch. I enjoyed all meals at the restaurant. But mostly I enjoyed wandering the grounds of this special hotel.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet location and got it.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

From the moment I stepped into this hotel, I was taken aback by it's unparallelled beauty and ambiance. The halls are lined with lush plants and flowers.. lit by candlelight.. and haunted by the echos of the beautiful songs of monks or opera playing throughout the property. They have done such a masterful job of weaving the monastery's ruins in with the hotel. You can't help but walk slowly to take it all in. And there is so much to enjoy and explore here. It's a destination in and of itself. Take the time to walk through all the museums. And for a real treat, go and explore the ruins at night. They are dimly lit but beautiful in that light. Plus, you'll have the place all to yourself (other than the beautiful music playing). The rooms have all the amenities (except A/C but you don't really need it) and the hotel takes cleanliness very seriously. They even warn you that they inspect the rooms with ultraviolet light. The pool was beautiful, especially at night. You will not be disappointed at this hotel. One a word of caution, the beds are quite firm but not horrible. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't have a balcony that faces the outside wall. There is a lot of vehicl...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Heather K
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Ok, this is easily one of the most beautiful hotels I've ever seen. I've stayed in many hotels, including several high-end, luxury hotels, but it's rare to see a hotel like this, with such beautiful grounds, great history on the premises, and such interesting things to see. Note: you don't have to stay at the hotel to take a look at the gorgeous grounds and interesting things to see. It's open to the public and, if you're in Antigua, it's worth checking out.

Since everyone has done a pretty good job talking about the rooms and such, I thought I'd just point out more of the cool things on the grounds. There are actually ruins on the property -- not amazing but really cool when you think there is history right on the hotel property. There are also tons of bright, colorful flowers and green to look at. So nice on a sunny day.

Don't forget to check out some of the quirkier parts of the hotel: marionettes and amazing carved statues as decor and this amazing fabrica where the hotels candles and marionettes are actually made. The fabrica was one of my favorite places -- imagine seeing a bunch of marionette and marionette bits hanging about, as well as actually seeing first-hand how the hotels lovely colored/shaped candles are made.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo