“Great location and pool”

Porta Hotel Antigua
Ranked #3 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 8, 2014

This hotel is in a great location, walking distance from all of the attractions in Antigua but just far enough out of the centre to provide some tranquility. The pool is great as it gets quite hot in Antigua walking the streets and we would come back to the hotel to cool down before heading off for the afternoon.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Fernando X, Gerente at Porta Hotel Antigua, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Dear macsar,

We are glad you've enjoyed your stay. We hope we'll see you again very soon.

Warm wishes

There are newer reviews for Porta Hotel Antigua

Reviewed April 7, 2014

We stayed here for five nights over spring break. Concierge was excellent and helped booked tours in Antigua. Because the hotel has a section across the street from the main area, we appreciated the security presence at each entrance at night as there were many girls walking back and forth. This hotel offers a scenic swimming pool with wonderful volcano views, rose gardens and courtyards throughout, and well-stocked vats of purified water. The rooms, though dark, were comfortable, tastefully decorated and included a spacious bathroom. The front desk also exchanged money for us without a fee – so much better than going to a bank. Hotel was in a great location, easy walking distance to the city square and great restaurants.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank AllisonDav

Dear Mrs. AllisonDav,

Thank you very much for this delightful review.

Have a wonderful day!

Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

Although a large complex that seemed overwhelming to navigate at first, the hotel is a beautiful escape from the town of Antigua. Similar to other four or five star hotels in Antigua, Porta has well-manicured grounds, fountains and courtyards. In the three days that I stayed, there was always someone sweeping or tending to the landscaping. The pools are beautiful and the lap pool is very secluded. The rooms in the new section of the hotel are quiet and spacious. All of the hotel staff are welcoming and helpful. The breakfast buffet offered both traditional Guatemalan and American-style food. Everything was delicious. I'm looking forward to returning in the future.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Fernando X, Gerente at Porta Hotel Antigua, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2014

Dear Mrs. Angela D,

We are so happy you enjoyed your stay at Porta Hotel Antigua, we would love to be your hosts again very soon.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

Staying at this hotel with a bunch of classmates. The service was quite nice and because we were leaving at late night they gave us a snack to go. I only stayed at this hotel one night, however was a very good experience. The rooms have this amazing old style, but they are very comfortable. The restaurant have a wide variety and the bar is small but friendly. The staff were very polite and they were all listening to your compliments or complaints. This is a must stay for everyone exploring Antigua. Will be visiting this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Fernando X, Gerente at Porta Hotel Antigua, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2014

Dear JPSotoCR,

We are glad you've liked our services overall, and it will a pleasure to receive you again in a near future.

Warm wishes,

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Our room was located next to the beautiful lap pool. Nice for an evening swim. The whole property is enclosed which is nice for walking around the grounds at night. The hotel is beautiful and the food is very good. Great location for sight seeing and shopping. Loved the Parrots!

Room Tip: Felt the rooms around the lap pool were the most private and quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Rebecca G,

We appreciate very much you've posted your experience at Porta Hotel Antigua on TripAdvisor.

Have a wonderful day!

Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights after a week long medical mission trip. It is on a quiet street, but conveniently located about a seven minute walk from the center of Antigua. The staff speaks English (most of them) and are courteous and helpful. Our room was comfortable, and had nice touches like in room purified water and a coffee maker. Breakfast was delicious. The centrally located pool was a nice treat!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank shawhome

Dear shawhome,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments. It's been a pleasure to be your hosts at the end of your medical mission trip in Guatemala.

Best wishes,

Reviewed March 12, 2014

After living in Antigua for a month, my apartment lease was up and I decided to stay here for 2 nights...my last 2 nights in Antigua. I chose it because it was close to my father's Spanish school where he was staying and visiting and a place with a nice pool and (supposedly) wifi throughout the common areas so that I could work and enjoy the amenities simultaneously.

I booked into a regular room - with tax coming to about 160.00/night.

Upon arrival I was taken across the street (this is awkward if you are going back and forth from the pool to your room - walking across the street....eek!) to a room which was situated in a small part of the outdoor hallway that was covered...The room, because of this, was very dark and cave-like... fine, perfect for sleeping (I really needed sleep at that point!)

There was no cell phone service in the room, which for me, was not acceptable. I work in Guatemala and have employees I need to be in touch with - my cell phone (a Guatemalan phone) did not function at all in the room so I called to ask about this. The front desk employee told me that this was "not the hotel's problem" - which I thought was pretty terrible, considering I politely asked if there was something we could do about that.

A girl (very VERY nice girl) came to the room to "test" my phone. I'm not sure if they didn't believe me or thought perhaps I wanted a different room that had more light (which, if you have available rooms, you should probably just go ahead and switch anyone who is paying at LEAST this price....) - she was great, and spoke no English at all... maybe another test for me... although I'm bilingual...surprise! I re-explained the issue in Spanish. She took my phone and put wifi on it. No... not better. Still no PHONE calls. She asked if I could use the phone in the room. Are you kidding? I'm not going to spend money to use the hotel phone- i have a LOCAL phone!

Anyway, no more details.. this was handled poorly. My father actually came over to talk to the front desk. Being a man, he seemed to be able to express his frustration better which made me even more angry considering I'm a bilingual american adult living in central america. They gave me a new room... after all that "testing" -really?

The wifi was spotty in public areas and when asked to reset router (please) I was met with some grief.

This is a beautiful place to relax and enjoy the nice amenities- Breakfast buffet, at 13.00, is surprisingly worth it if you're really hungry. The lunch/dinner choices are not that great and they oddly only serve their snack items like chips and guacamole after 4pm...which means at noon when you want a frosty beer, you have to order something large to go with it... I hope they change that timing a bit.

I'd recommend this place for people who want a very nice pool and place for family relaxation but not if you have to get work done. I was annoyed at the service and way I was treated, and more aggravated when my father had better luck.

Room Tip: Note: not all rooms are in property by the pool.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Fernando X, Gerente at Porta Hotel Antigua, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Dear Mrs. Lovintheworld17,

We truly apologize for not been up to your expectations at Porta Antigua. Your comments motivate us to continue in the path of continuous improvement to provide best in class service at all times. We will work on weaknesses identified during your stay, so in the future we can serve you as you deserve.
Hope you give us the opportunity to be your hosts in Antigua Guatemala again in a near future.