Porta Hotel Antigua
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
All reviewsunderground tunnelcaravan tourkids clublarge poolbreakfast buffetbeautiful hotelthe main hotelceiling fantamalesbeautiful groundshigh ceilingsworking fireplacelarge hotelfiltered waterfew blockswould highly recommend this hoteltwo double beds
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights after a week long medical mission trip. It is on a quiet street, but conveniently located about a seven minute walk from the center of Antigua. The staff speaks English (most of them) and are courteous and helpful. Our room was comfortable, and had nice touches like in room purified water and a coffee maker. Breakfast was delicious. The centrally located pool was a nice treat!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank shawhome
Fernando X, Gerente at Porta Hotel Antigua, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2014

Dear shawhome,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments. It's been a pleasure to be your hosts at the end of your medical mission trip in Guatemala.

Best wishes,

Reviewed March 12, 2014

After living in Antigua for a month, my apartment lease was up and I decided to stay here for 2 nights...my last 2 nights in Antigua. I chose it because it was close to my father's Spanish school where he was staying and visiting and a place with a nice pool and (supposedly) wifi throughout the common areas so that I could work and enjoy the amenities simultaneously.

I booked into a regular room - with tax coming to about 160.00/night.

Upon arrival I was taken across the street (this is awkward if you are going back and forth from the pool to your room - walking across the street....eek!) to a room which was situated in a small part of the outdoor hallway that was covered...The room, because of this, was very dark and cave-like... fine, perfect for sleeping (I really needed sleep at that point!)

There was no cell phone service in the room, which for me, was not acceptable. I work in Guatemala and have employees I need to be in touch with - my cell phone (a Guatemalan phone) did not function at all in the room so I called to ask about this. The front desk employee told me that this was "not the hotel's problem" - which I thought was pretty terrible, considering I politely asked if there was something we could do about that.

A girl (very VERY nice girl) came to the room to "test" my phone. I'm not sure if they didn't believe me or thought perhaps I wanted a different room that had more light (which, if you have available rooms, you should probably just go ahead and switch anyone who is paying at LEAST this price....) - she was great, and spoke no English at all... maybe another test for me... although I'm bilingual...surprise! I re-explained the issue in Spanish. She took my phone and put wifi on it. No... not better. Still no PHONE calls. She asked if I could use the phone in the room. Are you kidding? I'm not going to spend money to use the hotel phone- i have a LOCAL phone!

Anyway, no more details.. this was handled poorly. My father actually came over to talk to the front desk. Being a man, he seemed to be able to express his frustration better which made me even more angry considering I'm a bilingual american adult living in central america. They gave me a new room... after all that "testing" -really?

The wifi was spotty in public areas and when asked to reset router (please) I was met with some grief.

This is a beautiful place to relax and enjoy the nice amenities- Breakfast buffet, at 13.00, is surprisingly worth it if you're really hungry. The lunch/dinner choices are not that great and they oddly only serve their snack items like chips and guacamole after 4pm...which means at noon when you want a frosty beer, you have to order something large to go with it... I hope they change that timing a bit.

I'd recommend this place for people who want a very nice pool and place for family relaxation but not if you have to get work done. I was annoyed at the service and way I was treated, and more aggravated when my father had better luck.

Room Tip: Note: not all rooms are in property by the pool.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Fernando X, Gerente at Porta Hotel Antigua, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Dear Mrs. Lovintheworld17,

We truly apologize for not been up to your expectations at Porta Antigua. Your comments motivate us to continue in the path of continuous improvement to provide best in class service at all times. We will work on weaknesses identified during your stay, so in the future we can serve you as you deserve.
Hope you give us the opportunity to be your hosts in Antigua Guatemala again in a near future.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

We stayed across from the main complex that has the pool, restaurant and lobby. There is a underground tunnel that connects the two sections. Rooms are in a one floor courtyard with huge rooms, tall ceilings, fireplace, large bathrooms purified water and pool in the middle of the complex. Buffet meals were excellent with so many choices with great service and what a view of the volcano. Lounge bar is nice and has a two for one happy hour from 6-8. Good location just a few blocks from city center.

Room Tip: I would stay in this section but in the other court yard away from the pool. Got a little loud one night.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dave277-12
Fernando X, Gerente at Porta Hotel Antigua, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Dear Dave277-12,

We are glad you've had a nice experience at Porta Hotel Antigua. Thank you for sharing!

Have a wonderful day!

Reviewed March 7, 2014

I liked the hotel amenities. I didn't like that we were not in the main hotel building, we were across the street. We asked to be moved, but were told there weren't any rooms at the rate level we had. I booked a deluxe room and thought it would be air conditioned, it wasn't. I was offered a premium room with air conditioning for $40/night more. The nights in March in Antigua are cool enough that we didn't need A/C but I wouldn't want to stay in this room in July.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building. If you're going in one of the hot month make sure your room comes with A/C
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Fernando X, Gerente at Porta Hotel Antigua, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2014

Dear alan s,

We apologize for not been able to fulfill your expectations on your last stay with us. Your comments motivate us to improve on weaknesses found,

We hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in a near future.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

This was our second visit to Porta Hotel Antigua. I don't think our kids could imagine staying anywhere else in Antigua. This time we had a room adjacent to the lap pool, which was a great amenity. The room was a good size, with a nice, modern bathroom and a fireplace. The property in general is lovely, and it's within walking distance to most everything in town. Just a few blocks to the park. My kids like the playground and the guacamayas. Breakfasts are outstanding. Food at lunch was good too, though the service was a bit slow and special requests (ex. no lettuce) weren't consistently accommodated. Also, you can request a children's menu and a sandwich menu. Kudos to Claudia who was helpful as concierge. We would not hesitate to recommend Porta, and we hope to return.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank M_Therese15

Dear M_Therese15,

We really appreciate your comments. Don't hesitate we'll work on every single detail to make your next stay an unforgettable experience again.

Hope you have a wonderful day!