“Great location - poor management”
Review of Banana Azul Hostel

and 1 more site!
Banana Azul Hostel
Ranked #68 of 105 Specialty Lodging in Antigua
Damascus
“Great location - poor management”
Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

I feel inclined to write this review as it is 8 AM and I've been listening to minor repairs in the trend of hammering, sawing and screwing for the past hour. Couple that with the managers inability to move a large group of conversing French tourists from directly beside my window to a more 'convenient' place leaves me thinking this establishment is an absolute shambles.

Banana Azul is situated on a main streets in the beautiful Antigua and will be one of the first hostels you may encounter when walking from the bus station/market. It prides itself on being cheap and clean - it achieves the former but fails miserably in the latter. The thick layer of dust in the bathrooms made me wonder whether they had been cleaned since the last eruption - not that this mattered though, as the hostel didn't actually have running water for two of the days. Not ideal when you come back from trekking around town or up the nearby volcano.

The 35 quetzals and prime location do make it an attractive alternative to the nearby Jungle Party Hostel (quote 70 quetzals) and The Terrace Hostel (quote 60 quetzals). However if you cherish your sleep and like enjoying basic hygienic comforts then I recommend you look elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank JCDFM
Jamie N, Manager at Banana Azul Hostel, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
First, I would like to apologize for the noise that you experienced early in the morning. As we have just bought the hostel we are in the midst of renovations; some of which had to happen at a perhaps inconvenient time for you.

As to the tourists chatting in the morning, our rooms surround a beautiful courtyard and sometimes people enjoy a cup of coffee and conversations when they awake. I wish it were possible for me to ensure everyone was able to maintain the same sleep schedule.

I am sorry you feel that renovations to the hostel and other happy tourists mean we are "in shambles".

As to our cleanliness: let me again point to the fact that we were in the midst of repairing all of our bathrooms to ensure our guests would have hot water, working toilets and sinks. We had to turn the water off for two hours while the plumber was here and we did our best to accommodate any guests that needed help. Also, the city shuts the water off for about four hours twice or three times a month. This is something that none of the hotels can do anything about.

As far as our bathrooms not being cleaned since "the last eruption" I can assure you this is not the case, we acid wash the restrooms on a regular basis to ensure complete cleanliness, we bleach everything everyday and our housekeeper does a thorough deep cleaning of the restrooms overall everyday.

I completely understand your frustration and again would like to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

Also, our normal prices for dorm rooms are 50Q's, but because we are in the midst of renovations,you were with a group, and you were staying multiple nights, you were offered a discount.

Thank you for your review, we appreciate everyone's comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed August 3, 2012

I had a very lovely 2 nights at Banana Azul, I was travelling by myself and it was a lovely sociable place to stay and I met lots of cool people. I would recommend this place, good value and clean. I stayed in two hostels previously in Antigua with bed bugs, so I was so pleased to be able to wake up without being covered in bites.
I also think this place is going to continue to get better and better as there is new management and Jamie does a great job and is working very hard to get new things set up in this hostal. .
Stay here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed July 23, 2012

They had a lot of druggy/musical young local guys staying and hanginging out there when I was there and Im almost certain its one of these guys that stole my stuff. If you cross paths with a local guy called Axel/Alex look out, seems sweet but has a vile temper and can be very aggresive. appart from that management is friendly, you could have fun there.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Jamie N, Manager at Banana Azul Hostel, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
I am terribly sorry to hear that you were robbed here in the dorms. Unfortunately, some people do not understand how hard we work for our things. You can be assured that we take your comments seriously and are now putting lockers in the dorms to help ensure your belongings are safe. We also take complaints very seriously and hope that you stay with us again. We appreciate your review and we are always listening!

Travelers are raving about these Antigua hotels