“Amazing place”

El Tenedor del Cerro
Ranked #17 of 360 Restaurants in Antigua
Cuisines: Pizza, Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Scenic view, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Amazing place”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I went to this place on Dec the 28th for the first time and was amazed. The food was excellent, the views breathtaking and the prices incredibly reasonable. The prices were similar to those at a regular restaurant in town or lower for some items.
Startig with the well kept road up the hill, the entire grounds are amazing, full of great art and exotic birds, and ending up at the very modern looking restaurant with beautiful views of the landscape and Antigua. I sat outside at the furthest out table, under a canopy, enjoying the views and observed the cooks come out to their garden to get fresh herbs to use in their cooking.
This place offers not only great food, but also an incredible experience. This will be a must stop place for me when in Antigua.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Berkeley, California
“Magnificent View; Decent breakfast”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Catch the free shuttle from the Hotel Santo Domingo for 10 minute ride up the hill to the park & restaurant. The restaurant has succeeded beyond the wildest imagination of the developer. Consequently, be prepared to wait. We found the 4 exterior tables to have the best view and that they provided a respite from the noise level inside. The breakfast was great, but "sausage" means "hot dog." Pick something else and you will do fine. Free refills on coffee which, like all Guatemalan coffee is full bodied but lacking the punch of something like Peets.

1 Thank Rick94705
Williamsburg, Virginia, USA
“Meals With A View”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Terrific wood oven pizza with breathtaking views of colonial Antigua. Offers pasta and other dishes as well.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Don't Miss El Tenedor”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I don't know how I've managed to miss this place after so many years of being in Antigua! My I heard so many good things about it, that I decided to take my wife there for our anniversary dinner. You can either drive yourself, take a taxi, or do what we did and walk to Casa Santo Domingo to take their free open-air shuttle up to the restaurant. The evening can be chilly so dress warmly. The whole complex is like a huge art gallery so give yourself some time to explore and appreciate. The service was incredible! They wait on you hand and foot and are always right there taking care of what you were just about to ask them to do. The menu ranges from pizza to filet mignon, but even the steak price is a value. A perfect place for a romantic dinner or a night out with the family. Again, I cannot believe it's taken me this long to experience El Tenedor, but I will definitely be back - more than likely later this week!

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank skydiver17
Melbourne
“Sunday buffet was great, even for a vegetarian and view is amazing!”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Okay, I wanted to write this while it was still fresh in my head, having just returned from the restaurant. Plus, none of the reviews seem to cover cost or the nuts and bolts of this place. To be clear, the buffet is only on Sunday, as told to me by woman working at restaurant.

While you can drive if you have a car, there is a free shuttle from Casa Santo Domingo which is the sister hotel/restaurant actually located in town. They too have a Sunday buffet (Q 113) but it oddly costs more than the one at El Tenedor (Q 85). But to arrange the shuttle, you have to either ask at reception for the hotel or the check in desk for the restaurant there. You then wait at the entrance of the hotel for the open air van to take you on the 10 minute drive to El Tenedor. Not speaking the best Spanish, I found this a bit confusing but we got there in the end.

The drive up is nice but very steep. I wouldn't attempt this on foot as there is no real footpath and it really is quite steep. But once you're there, the grounds are huge and house a ton of outdoor art installations, a small aviary and lots of green space. Not quite sure why the grounds are so extensive (weddings perhaps?) but it was a nice way to walk off some of the huge buffet.

So that buffet...wow. I am vegetarian and didn't feel like I was cheated in paying the Q 85 per person. Here is a list of what I can remember, which I think is everything :

- re-fried black beans
- normal black beans
- hash browns (the fried triangular ones)
- fried plantains
- bacon
- sausage
- pancakes (honey or syrup option)
- tamales with chicken
- omelet cooked your way. You can add onion, diced tomato, peppers, asparagus, ham and/or two types of cheese.
- bread/rolls
- freshly made tortillas
- fresh made stuffed tortillas with cheese (I don't know authentic name)
- fresh pineapple, papaya and orange juice
- fresh cut fruit (pineapple, melon, papaya, watermelon and grapes)
- coffee/tea brought to your table

The food was all really good and I must admit I absolutely rolled out of this place. It was super busy but the few times we went up to the buffet it felt uncrowded. The guys making the eggs had their system down and wait was very minimal. Table service for the coffee, fresh cutlery and plate clearing was efficient and friendly.

We also looked at the dinner menu for another visit, which was very international and featured pasta and pizza prominently. The place definitely made a fan of me as the view is amazing (look at my pics!) and the food great for a buffet. We'll be back!!!