“A must visit”

$169.00*
and up
Antigua Market, Cooking Class and Choco Museum from Guatemala City
More attraction details
Owner description: Cacao and chocolate museum in Antigua, Guatemala. Learn about the history of cacao, the cacao tree and cacao in Guatemala. ChocoMuseo has its own artisanal chocolate factory which makes chocolate from organic Guatemalan cacao beans. ChocoMuseo also offers chocolate workshops to make your own chocolate. A unique experience for the whole family.
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I took the chocolate class at ChocoMuseo and had so much fun. I really learnt a lot during the class and made my own chocolate!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,855)

Reviewed December 22, 2013

The chocolate is great, but in the side room, they have posters with many interesting facts about cacao and chocolate. Have a look, worth it!

Reviewed December 21, 2013

My husband and I booked the full day tour through the ChocoMuseo. I made arrangements by e-mailing the ChocoMuseo in Antigua. This was one of the best guided tours I've taken!!!

First to note is that the brochure is more of a guide on what you will be doing than a set schedule. The brochure states that the hotel pickup time is at 7:00 a.m. We were waiting at our hotel at 7:00 a.m., and by 7:15, we thought no one was coming. Fortunately, I had printouts of my e-mail exchange with the ChocoMuseo and realized that we were told that our pickup time was 7:30 a.m. Roberto, our tour guide, picked us up on time.

The drive from Antigua to the plantation is about 1.5 hours. We stopped at picnic tables at a gas station for a mini breakfast break. Roberto provided us with coffee, hot chocolate, fruit and cookies. It was a light but filling breakfast. There was a nearby snack stand if you wanted to purchase something more substantial.

We arrived at the cacao plantation and got a guided tour from the family that manages it. The farm is beautiful! It was neat to see cacao trees, other fruit trees and huge ceiba trees. The best part was watching and participating in the hot chocolate making process. We helped roast the cacao beans over an open fire, grind it (with cinnamon sticks!) into a hot drink. We also got to suck on raw cacao beans from a freshly cut cacao pod and try a beverage made with them. The plantation is along a river, which we also got to visit after we finished our provided light lunch (a ham and cheese sandwich and a piece of fruit). I learned that the cacao plantation supplies the cacao for the ChocoMuseo.

This is a walking tour, and you walk up and down small hilly paths that are a little slippery after it rains. I definitely recommend hiking shoes. You have to walk down a hill to get to the river that is a little steep in some places. Also, I forgot to bring mosquito spray. I'm usually a mosquito target, but I only got bitten a couple of times. I recommend bringing some repellant.

One of the neat side benefits of this tour is that we drove by less touristy areas of Guatemala. Also, we drove by many rubber tree plantations, which I never saw before. Roberto was an excellent tour guide and a very colorful character. I would love to go on a guided tour with him again.

As stated above, the brochure is more like a guide. The brochure stated that our tour was suppose to last until 5:00 p.m., but we were back in Antigua around 4:00 p.m. This wasn't a bad thing. The tour group consisted of only my husband and me. It just happened that we were done early. I felt we got a thorough tour and weren't rushed at all. If we wanted to stay at the plantation or river for an hour more, we were able to, but we were done with everything we wanted to do.

I thought we would be dropped off at our hotel, but we ended up being dropped off at the ChocoMuseo. We didn't mind this because I wanted to look over some souvenirs and our hotel was within walking distance, but I would definitely clarify the drop off point when booking this tour.

Also, you cannot bring cacao pods as a carry on item through Guatemala Intl Airport. My cacao pods were confiscated at the security checkpoint. I think you have a chance at bringing them into the U.S. if they're in your checked luggage. I was just worried about having rotting fruit in my luggage if it got lost. Never had a chance to try to make it through U.S. Customs. I purchased a few bags of cacao beans from the ChocoMuseo for my friends to roast, and packed them in my checked luggage. I declared them and made it through customs without any hassle.

This tour is pricier than other tour activities, but I think it was well worth it!

1  Thank FuzzyEars11
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Learning with doing your owe chocolate, it just doesn't get any better! Love our teacher, awesome personality.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

MMMMM where to begin?
I had a chilli hot chocolate which comes in a ceramic pot that you add your own milk and chilly to. Absolutely delicious.
We also had a mudcake which was freshly baked.
My husband had a regular hot chocolate which wasn't as exciting as my mayan hot chocolate.
The courtyard is really pretty and you can sit and watch the hummingbirds from your table.
We didn't do the chocolate making course because we did a lot of courses all around central and south America - I recommend you do them and learn about chocolate as much as you can.