“Chocolate heaven”

and up
Antigua Market Cooking Class and Choco Museum in Antigua
Ranked #4 of 86 things to do in Antigua
More attraction details
Owner description: Cacao and chocolate museum in Antigua, Guatemala. Learn about the history of cacao, the cacao tree and cacao in Guatemala. ChocoMuseo has its own artisanal chocolate factory which makes chocolate from organic Guatemalan cacao beans. ChocoMuseo also offers chocolate workshops to make your own chocolate. A unique experience for the whole family.
Reviewed November 14, 2013

This was a great experience followed up by a tip from friend made on Pacaya Volcano tour, went straight here after and booked onto 4pm course.
This was a 2 hour experience and led by the very knowledgeable Alejandro. We learnt about history of chocolate, how it is grown and produced. Had chance to peel the chocolate beans, crush them and make a paste. Tried variety of hot chocolate drinks and make our own milk and dark chocolate to take home with us. Highly recommended and highlight of stay in Antigua

There are newer reviews for ChocoMuseo

Reviewed November 14, 2013

Before going there I thought the price of the 2 h course was a bit expensive,but,at the end,I think it is totally worth it and everybody interested about chocolate should do it !!!!!

The guy that did the course (pablo) put so much energy,fun and profesional in his explanations.
During the course you learn so much : history,technical aspects about the process from beg to end,and you make chocolate that you can bring back home !!!
It was also lovely to make and taste hot chocolate as the Mayas were originally doing...

GREAT experience !!!!!

1  Thank EandE2010
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Great thing to do here. Class is about two hours long and the time goes quickly! Pedro was our "teacher." He was a lot of fun and full of energy : ) great to do if you want something unique and delicious : )

Reviewed October 29, 2013

The museum part was just large boards describing the history of chocolate....nothing spectacular. It did look like you could watch them make the chocolate, but they were done by the time we stopped in, I did buy some candy bars for gifts and my friends raved about the flavor

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I had heard that a trip to ChocoMuseo was worthwhile, and the experience beat all my expectations. For starters -- well, for finishers -- the chocolate bars that I got to make from scratch during my two-hour workshop were just delicious! I got to choose which mold I would use, and I chose one that would allow me to make plenty of pieces to share with friends. Let's just say that I impressed them all with my mad choco skillz.
The secret of my success was the instructor Pablo. From the tuturial he gave us at the start about the source of the beans, the history of the craft of chocolate making, and the contrbutions of various players (pay attention, he'll quiz you!), I entered the kitchen ready to participate in a long and regal tradition of chocolate making. The job wasn't simple, but Pablo kept us entertained and energized by working the room, made up of 10 tourists from at least 5 countries.
This was a great experience and a lot of fun. Be sure to stop by to reserve a 2-hour spot for yourself while you're in Antigua. I can't wait to return for class #2, Truffle making!