“Fun, educational and delicious!”
Review of ChocoMuseo

and up
Antigua Market Cooking Class and Choco Museum in Antigua
Ranked #4 of 86 things to do in Antigua
More attraction details
Owner description: Cacao and chocolate museum in Antigua, Guatemala. Learn about the history of cacao, the cacao tree and cacao in Guatemala. ChocoMuseo has its own artisanal chocolate factory which makes chocolate from organic Guatemalan cacao beans. ChocoMuseo also offers chocolate workshops to make your own chocolate. A unique experience for the whole family.
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Lito was knowledgeable, warm and personal. It was really fun that we made hot chocolate two ways from scratch! At the end of the educational bits is the most fun and indulgent chocolate making - like being a kid with a chemistry set - but it all tastes great!

2  Thank Amypit

Reviewed April 21, 2012

I needed some coffee and discovered ChocoMuseo while walking around Antigua. The place smelled amazing from the street. I loved the Mocha Cafe and my friend ordered the Mayan Hot Chocolate. She made the hot chocolate with bowls of ingredients such as Honey, Coco, chile pepper and milk. I highly recommend for a beverage and the Museo.

Reviewed April 19, 2012

Ask for Pablo to give you the tour of how to make Chocolate. I learned to much and it was a really good experience.

1  Thank Stacy P
Reviewed April 12, 2012

The chocolate is delicious I just don't really get the museum part of it.

ChocoMuseo G, Propriétaire at ChocoMuseo, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2012

Hello latintraveller2012,

Thank you for your kind comment on our chocolates!

I'm sorry you did not feel the museum part was worth it. What kind of things would have you liked to see displayed?

Let me summarize here what can be found while visiting us:

In one room, one can learn 1000 years of history, starting with the Maya, and intertwined with major world historic events: The discovery of the new world, the slave trade, the industrial revolution, the rise of advertisement...
There is another section with nature facts (cacao growing areas, different categories of plantations and cacao, specificities of the flower and "cherelles"...) as well as hands on materials, like a real size cacao tree, cacao "pods", etc.

In the main room, our factory is open and one can see (and be taught) how to make bars and truffles, right from the bean! All our machines are displayed (actually working), our production staff prepare the flavorings of the bars, ganaches, orange peels or candied ginger (to name just a few things) in front of our visitors.

Finally, another room focuses on general facts around chocolate, answering questions like what does cacao/chocolate do to your body, what is white chocolate exactly, or displays stuff like consumption and production data.

I wish you had enjoyed the museum, and hope to receive your ideas so that we can improve and suit other people like you.

Clara-Isabel

Reviewed April 5, 2012

If you like or love chocolate, this is the place to go. 150 Q gives you two hours plus of instruction, that is fun and informative. Pablo is just great, funny, enthusiastic. I stopped back to pick up the chocolates I had made and saw him with a much larger group, and he was in even better form than our small group of three. The exhibit on its own is informative but a bit dry: it would be amazing if they had a live cocoa tree. A great experience overall.

2  Thank prosecco050