“Just not too interesting”
Review of ChocoMuseo

and up
Antigua Market Cooking Class and Choco Museum in Antigua
Ranked #4 of 86 things to do in Antigua
More attraction details
Owner description: Cacao and chocolate museum in Antigua, Guatemala. Learn about the history of cacao, the cacao tree and cacao in Guatemala. ChocoMuseo has its own artisanal chocolate factory which makes chocolate from organic Guatemalan cacao beans. ChocoMuseo also offers chocolate workshops to make your own chocolate. A unique experience for the whole family.
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Chocolate was good, but displays, set up was quite boring.

2  Thank travelincritic
ChocoMuseo G, Propriétaire at ChocoMuseo, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2012

Ouch. Sometimes critics don't seem fair.

I agree, travelincritic, on the fact that the history boards are laid on a long, white, plain, "boring" wall. But what about everything else? We have a wonderful cacao tree designed by a local artisan, copies of mexican carved idols, pictures from all over latin america (pods, growers, plantations...), fun rotating boxes with general data, an open factory, people there able to tell you the story or fabrication process, original furniture...

Now, in regards with whether the museum is "interesting", let me describe here the information we are trying to spread:
HISTORY: How did cacao, from being a bitter drink in Mesoamerica more than 1000 years ago, turned into solid chocolate, eaten worldwide in incredible amounts? We're talking about extinct cultures, the discovery of the new world, the Atlantic triangular trade, the industrial revolution, etc
NATURE: We show what the cacao fruit actually is, what are the beans with which chocolate is actually made, when possible we have people try the surprisingly delicious and unknown white pulp; we explain where does cacao grow, and what types of cacao exist, we show how the fruit grow on the trunk (!) on a real size cacao tree...
PRODUCTION: Our factory is completely open to the public, one can see us producing bars and truffles from bean to bar (refining, conching, tempering, molding) and interact with us.
FACTS: Finally, we have a section full of data, health, fun or more generally "interesting" facts around cacao and chocolate.

I guess you made us realize that in order for all this not to be skimmed through and just thought as boring, we need to improve the design of the exposition.

Clara-Isabel

Reviewed February 17, 2012

Ok. This is a business, not a tourist destination, sometimes I think that TA combines the two. Now, my business is sweets. I know some of the best chocolate people in the world. After reading the reviews I made a special trip... It's a cute little place, with a little cafe and courtyard in the back. They don't have endless mounds of chocolate, but they do have a good selection of bars. Now, I did have one problem and I am not going to be overly specific about it because they fixed it right away, but coming from the food industry it should never have been an issue. It was simply a quality control issue. Again, it was fixed right away and it would not deter me from going back, or sending my friends to check it out. I did not do the class, but it wassss tempting!

Reviewed February 17, 2012

The brief history of chocolate in the Americas was concise but literate. Toasting the beans, removing the skins, grinding the beans with a mortar and pestle, and making both Mayan and European hot chocolate was fun and informative. We each then made chocolate candies, choosing from a variety of additions. I added cardamom, which is grown in Guatemala, to my dark chocolate candies. They were AWESOME.

1  Thank viajeraMaryland
Reviewed February 16, 2012

We didn't have time to join the highly recommended chocolate making class but we did stop by to check out the store. One of the employees immediately came to us and offered to give us an impromptu 10 minute tour of the "museum". You could instantly tell that he was very passionate about cacao! He patiently explained every item that they had in the store and never tried to push any product on us. We did buy quite a few bars of chocolate as souvenirs to bring home. If you have some spare time in Antigua, I'd recommend you to swing by and learn a thing or two about chocolate!

Reviewed February 14, 2012

I love chocolate and of course had to come in when I walked by and smelled the irresistible smells coming from this store. My friends and I went to the cafe in the back and tried banana bread dipped in chocolate fondue and it was absolutely amazing. They also have hot chocolate in which you get to add the chocolate fondue, sugar, and cinnamon into the hot milk yourself so you can make it exactly to your liking. Most other places give you the hot chocolate already made and I noticed that everyone here likes to add a lot of cinnamon so I was happy to finally be able to enjoy it with a more subtle taste.

We signed up for the chocolate workshop where you get to make 2 types of hot cocoa (Mayan and European) and design your chocolate bonbons with other interesting ingredients like ginger and chili flakes. We bought tons of chocolate gifts for our family and friends back home and everyone loved it!