“Great place to chill and have good food or coffee”

Vivero y Cafe de la Escalonia (tienda de conveniencia)
Ranked #56 of 389 Restaurants in Antigua
Cuisines: Guatemalan, International
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 20, 2014

This place is a very relaxing restaurant where you get the chance to spend a good time just chilling around the plants and flowers. It is not close to the main square of Antigua which makes it more comfortable if you want to get far from the noise of the center. It's a bit more expensive than the rest of the cafés but is still convenient.

1  Thank EfrainMiranda

Reviewed April 18, 2014

I really want to be able to give this place 5 stars because the grounds are really excellent. But hey, at the end of the day, I don't eat grass and nibble on trees. My chicken sandwich was HORRIBLE, and that's the nicest thing I can say. One of my friends had the turkey sandwich (chopped conducting a mysterious sauce), and another friend had a salad that was a joke. They can do better, wayyyyyy better. Sitting here for a coffee then walking the nursery is recommended, but don't wast your calories on the food.

1  Thank 3rdwrldgrl
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Lasagna made with tortillas, delicious. Breakfasts and breads very good. Delicious smoothies and fresh tamarindo drink. Fruit with yogurt and granola, excellent. Atmosphere delightful. Service very good.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

Wow, this place is a real gem. My family happened to come across the nursery by accident but once we stepped in we were floored by the beauty of the place. The cafe was just ... my gosh there are no words to describe how incredible the cafe was .. ! Imagine a beautiful outdoor garden with hibiscus and orchids hanging from the ceiling. All the drinks were meticulously prepared and the desserts were so good that we wanted to try every single cake on their menu. They also have a neat little shop filled with goods like coffee and veggie chips as well as jewelry and books. Truly a wonderful little spot that feels like paradise.

1  Thank GoSafar25
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I've been to Vivero Escalonia twice and have enjoyed it both times. It is, as other reviewers note, a "Vivero" (plant nursery in Spanish) and a cafe. It's a perfect place to eat if you're alone and want to read a book, or do anything requiring internet access.

The food is very good, simple fare. fresh, tasty salads, great breads and I love the Mandarin juice. On my first visit I had the Mayan lasagna which was delicious; on my last visit I had the asparagus quiche, and that was OK. It was a little too oily for me but not bad.

The only drawback is that it can be expensive for Antigua. My slice of quiche and large juice were Q100, and the Mayan lasagna and large juice were a bit more than that.

It is also a perfect place for meeting with people, discussing things, etc. because it is quiet and peaceful.

1  Thank Tamara S