“Beautifully made placemats!”
Review of Colibri

Colibri
Ranked #11 of 42 Shopping in Antigua
Reviewed September 26, 2016

I stopped in this store that is close to the Central Park of Antigua and was immediately drawn in by the beautiful work of local women. I purchased a cooking apron and several placemat sets for a very reasonable price. The back story of the shop is incredible too.

All reviews
in 3 reviews
"shop"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed February 27, 2016 via mobile

If you're on a budget and want colorful souvenirs, don't go to Colibri. Stick with the innumerable craft markets where you can get mass produced goods for almost nothing. You'll be much happier.

However, if you have taste and know textiles or want to learn about them and if you want traditional Guatemalan textiles, this is the place for you. The quality is high, the taste level is high and the prices are commensurate. Even if you don't purchase, going here will immediately teach you the difference between high quality and all the rest of what you're seeing hawked on the street.

Remember, if you think this is expensive, it's a fair trade shop selling the works of local women. So, your money is actually helping. This is right by the arch, so it's easy to get to if your touring the sights.

2  Thank Zzardvark
Reviewed July 9, 2015

If you want to buy gorgeous things and feel good about spending your money, come to Colibri. A fabulous array of woven goods made by local craftspeople. One cloth/towel/placemat/tablecloth/etc. is more beautiful than the next. Prices are very competitive as well. Happily there are only three rooms of merchandise else I fear we would have cashed in our return tickets to buy more. Charming and wonderful.

2  Thank susan j
Reviewed June 2, 2015

A number of years my husband brought back a gorgeous table cloth from Colibí. So number one of my places to visit was this shop. As other reviewers have stated the quality is the best. The fabrics are finely woven and colors pure and distinctive. I bought gifts for friends and myself including placemats, napkins, shopping bags, purses, coin purses, and woven drinks napkins. I can recommend this shop without hesitation.

See more reviews
Reviewed March 21, 2015

I spent a month in Guatemala and everywhere I went, I was looking for high quality table linens that were made by local weavers. I wanted placemats and coasters that were durable and attractive. I found three high quality woven goods shops in Antigua and they each had beautiful and unique (to each other) goods. Colibri is an outstanding shop to begin your shopping for fine quality, colorful weaving. I particularly like the fact that over 500 Mayan women are benefitting from this business. Go to any market in Guatemala - You will not find this quality.

1  Thank Yokeko