The Terrace Hostel
Casa Encantada(Antigua)
$120
$116
  • Breakfast included
All reviewspub crawlvolcano eruptupstairs barother guestsrooms are cleanpancakeshostelvibedormvulcanosroofshuttleacatenangofuegotours
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I had been to Antigua several times before and loved the city. A few weeks ago I came upon The Terrace Hostel. The prices were unbelievably good. The staff was a blast and the view was beautiful. The bartender...Jessica?..I think, was very friendly and fun. The owners were so welcoming, (you would never know they owned it) and, of course, there was the Terrace's family pet Ferd. He was another part of making you feel right at home. Maybe that's one way to describe the experience!! The Terrace Hostel makes any and everyone feel like they are at home with friends and family, no matter where you are from! Loved it and would recommend a stay there to my friends. It is a blast!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Early in my travels I spent a week at this hostel and almost a year later I'm yet to stay anywhere better (although some places have been as good0. This hostel stands out in my memory for its sociable vibe, good wifi, great bar and outstanding staff. At the time of my visit it had come under new management (Stephen - top bloke) and despite this, the place was great.
The bar has a stunning view of the volcano and is actually a place of note in its own right for locals. The staff have been in guatemala for years and are more than happy to give detailed advice about activities and attractions but never try to push tours on you. This for me is a big plus because the second a hostel tries to push me into a tour I almost routinely say "no" unless there are not any other options.
The rooms are very clean, as are the bathrooms and it's walking distance from the bus station, market and late night eats.
All-in-all just a great hostel and i'm very sorry it has taken me this long to post the review.
Thanks guys!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We (couple, 40 & 50 years old) stayed at Terrace Hostel in November 2013. Our room was a good value. It was small but clean. The private bathroom was also clean; however there was a small opening between the bathroom and the hallway high up on the wall. There is a bar on the roof that was noisy, but staff shut it down at 11:00 PM and the hostel was quiet all night. The staff insisted on holding our passports to ensure payment even though we paid cash in advance. They claimed “everyone does it” but we have never encounter this practice. This would be a good place for young travelers looking to socialize and party.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 13, 2013

I stayed at the Terrace a couple of times while in Antigua. The view from the Terrace is amazing and the staff at the front desk and the bar were very friendly. The free breakfast was a nice touch and the view of the volcano was breath taking. The lines to the common restrooms on certain nights can be a bit long, but its nothing worth complaining about.But, we stayed in a room with a private bath. The staff was very helpful in booking shuttles and even called other hostels to other locations on my behalf. That was a great help since I did not have a phone and my Spanish is not as good as it could be for sure. The food was pretty good. The menu is short, but the burgers are great! The drink prices are exceptional, and we had a great time on the pub crawl as well. For the price, this was great deal and I would not hesitate going back.

We did not spend a lot of time in the common area, but a new television would be an absolute plus when you just want to hang out with other travelers or your significant other. Thanks for the great time!

Room Tip: If you have the money, I would stay in room by the hammock on the second floor with the private bath.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
RJColina, Manager at The Terrace Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Thank you very much for your positive review. We are very glad you enjoyed your stays with us. Thank you so much for your compliments about our team and our burgers!

Hope to see you back soon. Safe travels.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

The only good thing that came out of my stay at the terrace was the 3 fellow travelers and friends I met/made. They are far more expensive than a variety of other hostel options you would have in Antigua...also very poor service at the front desk and extremely loud and noisy at allll times of the day.
The morning view of the volcanoes from the terrace is a saving grace as you can actually enjoy your 'included breakfast' with your 'not included tea or coffee or any other beverage!' ...yes...no drinks with your breakfast ..and for the price you're paying that's criminal...

speaking of criminal...my friend also had his camera stolen from the hostel..from inside his bag..in his room...the cctv camera footage was made available to us only after pushing for several days and even having to travel back all the way to to Antigua from Atitlan...

We went on to realize that from the footage we identified the person who had stolen the camera but the hostel records (if you can even call them that) were so poor that they didnt even have his name. The passports when kept at check in are not even verified with the name that we sign in as when we check in..so i could check in as Santa Claus from the North Pole...with my email id as ilovesanta@gmail.com and they wouldn't know!!

all in all..I would say avoid...and try other options..the Black cat is a far better bet in Antigua!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Smittenfood
GuateClaypoole, Owner at The Terrace Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

We are happy that you made some friends while staying with us. That is one of the things that people enjoy so much about our hostel/home away from home. We are saddened by your allegation that your camera was stolen from from your room. It is unclear whether you were staying in a dorm room or not from your review.

Each guest is provided his or her own key key. And, we do have lockers. we will even provided you with a lock. Oddly enough, we just purchased more lockers from the Black Cat which you speak so fondly of in your review. It worth pointing out that they sold those lockers to us as they went out of business, while we were voted best Best Hostel in Guatemala by Hostel World in 2013 and a Certificate of Excellence from Trip Adviser in the same year. In order to receive such recognition you must provide a safe and secure environment. We have someone at the desk 24/7 and closed circuit (CC) television. Of course the CC does not exist within the rooms due to privacy issues. We even have a bodega that you can secure your belongings in under lock and key with the front desk staff having sole possession of same.

A word of advise when traveling abroad is in order here. If you have something of value, and your sharing your accommodations with strangers you would be wise to secure your rucksack with a lock. Unfortunately, we live in a world where people find no problem stealing from other. This is not a common issue at our hostel.

As to cheaper options in Antigua. That is true, but you get what you pay for and often those places do not have lockers, bodegas or breakfast included (whether that includes a tea or coffee or not). You have described the failure to provide beverage as "criminal". I suspect that this may be a bit of hyperbole on your part. The cost of a beverage to accompany your breakfast included in nominal at best. We could raise the cost of the room and pass this cost along to you, but we have found that not everyone must have a cup of coffee in the morning. To be sure, if you are staying in a dorm room, you receive safe and secure lodgings, hot shower, and a breakfast for $9.00.

As to the noise. There is an electronics shop to our right and an Evangelical Church tour left. We have no control over the noise level with respect either, but it is hardly constant. We have a bar on the third floor that plays music during the evenings and we close around 10:00 to 10:30 depending on the crowd .

With respect to our staff. We have repeatedly received compliments as to their helpfulness and friendliness. I would challenge anyone to find a more competent staff. Its hard for me to even address that statement as it is just absurd on its face. Perhaps, you had a negative experience with one staff member, but it hardly merits a generalization as to the entirety of our staff/family.

In closing, we do secure passports under lock and key so that we and ensure that we know who is staying with us for security reasons. We also, as we are required to do so by law, keep a registry for the tourism authority. In your own word "The passports when kept at check in are not even verified with the name that we sign in as when we check in..so i could check in as Santa Claus from the North Pole...with my email id as ilovesanta@gmail.com and they wouldn't know!!"

Far be it for us to expect someone to provide accurate information when checking in. That speaks more of the person checking than our practices.