“Great place to stay with great stuff”
Review of The Terrace Hostel

The Terrace Hostel
Ranked #21 of 105 Specialty Lodging in Antigua
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
“Great place to stay with great stuff”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I have enjoyed my stay at The Terrace Hostel! First of all you consider staying at The Terrace is for the view. Antigua is beautiful for its historical look and the surrounding volcanos. From The Terrace you can look at the precious nature jewel volcano Aqua and the remaining two as well while sipping a tasty cuba libre for Q10 at an extensive happy hour.
The stuff at The Terrace was great with great partys and I guess in Antigua is every time something going on! The rooms are smaller though. We stayed at a 4 bed dorm. The hostel space is divided into two levels with 2 showers altogether so better 'shot gun' your shower time ;-)
See you next time The Terrace!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
GuateClaypoole, Owner at The Terrace Hostel, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Its the best way to find out if we need to make any improvements. Rooms do vary in sizes as this property was converted from a home. As to showers we have one the first floor and two on the second. Granted one of the showers is located in a private room. Given that we are not a huge hostel and the various sleeping habits of our guest, the wait times for showers are normally not an issue.

Once again, thank you for choosing the terrace and your kind words regarding our staff.

Best,

Steven and the Terrace Staff

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

The stay here was nice. I stayed in a private room with private bathroom and I had no problem at all. My friends stayed in a 4 person dorm and the problem was that the room was really small and it was humid. The shared bathrooms where not that well cleaned but for a backpacker it is fine. The terrace was really nice, without this I don't think I will go back to this hostel.

• Stayed September 2013
GuateClaypoole, Owner at The Terrace Hostel, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your comments are very helpful. We are happy you enjoyed your stay in the private. As to the dorm room, we have to deal with the elements during rainy season. The combination of heat and rain produces humidty. HVAC units are nearly non existent in the highlands of Guatemala. We do have fans available for guest use.

Restrooms are cleaned a couple times a day by our staff. And, they are cleaned more often when we have more patrons which is often the case. Once again, thank you for your review.
Guatemala
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I stayed for two nights at this hostel and it is nice place, good atmosphere, very clean, friendly staff and it is a good place to relax and have nice time on the Terrace with the happy hours.
Bekki and Nanna the managers are excellent hostlers. It is a place to recommend.

Room Tip: Second floor
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IFMA2013
GuateClaypoole, Owner at The Terrace Hostel, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. Nanna and Bekki really are an asset to our team. We are glad you enjoyed our Terrace Bar. Thank you for choosing us for your stay in Antigua. Safe travels!

Best Regards,

Steven
Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

I'm surprised we had such a different experience to so many who have given the terrace such a good review. We found it dank and dingy with unpleasant rooms and worse bathrooms. The staff were reasonably helpful but overall it was a lowlight of Antigua.

• Stayed August 2013
GuateClaypoole, Owner at The Terrace Hostel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
We are equally disapointed that your experience did not match that of the many others who love our hostel. That said, we have recently repainted every room with the exception of a private that stays booked, making it hard to get into. We do use low energy bulbs for a number of reasons. Firstly, there is a trend toward more effecient bulbs. They simply use less energy. Secondly, from a more practical reason is that in the dorms its less instrusive to other guest as they enter and leave the room.

It would have been helpful if you would have identified the room you stayed in during your stay. Equally helpful, had you an issue with your room we would have been happy to move you to another room. Or, if necessary, refund your money so you could find other accomendations with our assistance of course.

We are sadly disappointed that our hostel did not meet your expectations. We wish you safe travels in the future.

Best Regards,

The Terrace Staff and Owners
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed September 16, 2013

First and most important Bed Bugs. The rooms are very small, dark and the bathroom was not clean.
I also did not like the fact that they demand you to leave your passport and when I said I did not want to do so I was told by the receptionist that these are the rules. As I do not feel comfortable about this I asked why and I was informed it was because of my tab. I did not want a tab and I also mention this is illegal and not a good proceeding. She tried to make it seem normal saying its like this and its normal everywhere. This is not true, I've been staying in many hostels and in many places with tabs and nowhere ever people demand to keep my passport. Its a safety privacy issue. When I tried to told her that she was really rude to me. It is not a nice place and it was not a good way to welcome anyone. I just stayed for one night and left immediately. I really did not like her attitude specially because at the end of the day if you work in a hostel you should always be nice to your guests and if you don't like people complaining about something that is so obviously wrong, just change it, don't drop your frustration in your guests. If you are close to the stairs to the terrace you cant sleep because of the noise of the stairs. here are much better terraces in Antigua for sure!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Boulder, Colorado, United States
Reviewed September 5, 2013

This was by far one of the most fun hostel experiences I have ever had. I am already planning my next trip back. The staff is just incredible! From the moment we arrived, we were having way too much fun. I immediately felt extremely safe and right at home. Everyone gave us great advice on things to do in the city as well as a free drink as soon as we arrived! To be honest, the roof top bar was probably one of my favorite spots in Antigua. It attracts all sorts of travelers/locals/other guests which was a huge plus for me. It also has amazing views and cheap drinks (their happy hour is noon to 9pm!) Not to mention the food is awesome as well. And free breakfast! JP can cook a mean hamburger too.

Luckily my friend and I happened to be there for a Antigua futbol game! It was probably one of the top five days of my life! We went with some staff members and one of the wonderful owners Maggie and had the time of our lives. Seriously I wish I could even put into words how much fun my experience there was. The owners and staff truly care about making your experience the best as possible. Everyday they have something going on whether it be a pub crawl, futbol game, live music, etc. We were really sad we missed the Monday night pub crawl. So if you want to meet amazing people and have a blast for an affordable price, this hostel is perfect for you!

Thanks again to everyone at The Terrace for being so amazing! We cannot wait to come back with an even bigger crew!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
RJColina, Manager at The Terrace Hostel, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you for the awesome review. We are glad you had an amazing experience here at The Terrace and especially got to go with us to the football. This is a must-do when staying with us. We wish you safe travels from all the family here at The Terrace and hope to see you back soon.
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This place is awesome, it simply got everything you need for a fair price.
First of all the staff, they're such a good people. They are so friendly and do care about their guests. They even tell you where is the party or invite you to a nice walk in the city.
Secondly the food, what a delicious breakfast and hamburguers, yummy! =)
The hostel is very safe, the do have security cameras and during the night they have a guard.
The bar at the top of the building is awesome, from there you can easily see the Volcan de Agua, Volcan Acatenango and Volcan de Fuego. Of course the parties are great, live music, good drinks, beers, food and friendly people.

Me and my best friend went there for 5 days and WE LOVE IT! We definitely want to go back to the Terrace Hostel. Of course we already recommended to our friends.
Thanks to María, Gloria and María for their delicious breakfast; Maggie and Nanna for being so caring about us; and Juan Pablo (the bartender) for the party recommendations.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your review. We very much appreciate names mentioned of the staff who gave you great service, the people mentioned are very pleased!

We do try to make everyone feel part of our family and we are proud to know you felt this way.

Enjoy your travels and hope to see you back down this way soon.