“Amazing hostel!”
Review of The Terrace Hostel

The Terrace Hostel
Ranked #21 of 117 Specialty Lodging in Antigua
Reviewed August 30, 2013

The Terrace is an awesome hostel full of awesome people. The staff were especially awesome. Charlie, the bartender with the super cute hat, is a master at making rum and cokes. Can't wait to get back to Antigua!

• Stayed: August 2013
RJColina, Manager at The Terrace Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Thank you for your positive review. We are glad Charlie served you some great drinks and hope to see you back here soon!
Safe Travels
The Terrace Team

Reviewed August 29, 2013

All the employees really seemed to care about what they were doing. The owners were awesome as well. I've stayed at hundreds of hostels and next time i am in Antigua i will definitely stay here again.
The view from the Bar on the Roof is awesome and a great place to enjoy a few drinks and party. With that being said it is also was quite enough to rest without a problem.

Location is great too. It is with in two blocks of the market and the Parque Central.

It was very safe with a guard there at night who would let people into the hostel at night.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
RJColina, Manager at The Terrace Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Thank you very much for this fantastic review. We are glad to hear you had a great time and thought a lot of our team.

We hope you come back soon, enjoy the rest of your travels!

The Terrace Family

Reviewed August 28, 2013

The Terrace became a little like a home away from home. I was recommend this hostel by other travellers so we booked in for 3 nights while in Antigua. Welcome drink and the view of the Volcan de Agua being just a couple of the highlights. Free brekky! Pub crawl Mondays! It's a very sociable hostel and one of the cheaper options. What made this hostel a favourite was the staff! On our first night we wanted to check out a bar but we weren't sure where it was so one of the guys (Charlie) showed us the way and stayed for some drinks, he knows where all the good bars are and will go out of his way to help you! All of the staff were great! We ended up becoming good friends with them all! We even stopped back into Antigua on 2 more occasions and chose to stay at The Terrace. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
RJColina, Manager at The Terrace Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Thank you for the great review.
We are really glad you chose to stay with us and returned more than once.
Thank you for commenting on our fantastic team, Charlie will be very happy to read this review!

Enjoy your travels and come visit again soon!

Reviewed August 26, 2013

I stopped at The Terrace for one night before I headed out to El Tunco. I got to the hostel in the afternoon and was able to book my shuttle and just chill before my long drive the next day. Booking the shuttle was easy with the help of the girl at the front desk. Everyone who worked there that day was awesome. I got to know the owners and just loved them. They even hugged me when I left. Super sweet. I meet Mike first he was a darling and him with everyone else working made me feel really welcome. I relaxed and used the wifi in the front room. It is located it a great part of Antigua. I also ate a yummy hamburger. It hit the spot. I had a fun stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
RJColina, Manager at The Terrace Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Thanks for the great review Mel.
I am really glad you enjoyed your stay with us and felt part of the family. If youre ever in Antigua again, please come back and say hi or stay, we'd love to have you here again

Safe travels
The Terrace Family

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Firstly, the view from the rooftop bar was amazing. The owners really care about this place and it shows. Second, if you want a place to enjoy yourself and meet people on your journey this is the place to stay. If you want a quieter room ask for the first floor. It can get loud with the bar so bring earplugs if you are like me, I take some on my trips.

Second, the showers I noticed in Guatemala are tricky and its advised you do not touch the shower head, logics people...the water heater is on the head of the shower. I preferred staying on the second floor since the bathroom on that floor was nicer in my opinion.

Third, for the price and breakfast and one free drink, I haven't seen that before at the hostels I have been at except for one in London.

Great trip, great owners, fun party time at the Terrace.

Room Tip: First floor is quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
RJColina, Manager at The Terrace Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Thank you very much for staying with us and for posting a review in relation to your experience with us. We are glad you loved the bar, we do take care of the hostel as best we can and we love receiving feedback as such.

Safe Travels

Reviewed August 16, 2013

We had been recommended this hostel because of its terrace (bar/restaurant) which really is great - an amazing view of the volcano and nice and sunny. The private room we were in was tiny! But nice to have a bathroom v near the room.
What let down the hostel for us was the kitchen on the terrace playing loud music from 7.30am. The private rooms are just beneath it so we all woke up straight away. It was a shame because the night before we had come back from a meal at around ten thirty to find the bar/terrace empty and closed! We would have much preferred the music then.
The staff were friendly and it's a good location.

• Stayed: August 2013
RJColina, Manager at The Terrace Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Thanks for your review.

We are glad you liked our terrace, the view is hard to beat! And very glad to hear our staff made you feel welcome.

To update you on your complaint about the music in the mornings, since receiving this review, we have moved the radio, so it no longer faces down the stairs, and the kitchen staff are now playing at a lower volume from 8am when they start. Therefore, it is no longer heard in the private rooms below. I feel this complaint had a simple solution, which, had we have realised when you were here with us, we could have resolved the issue immediately and made your stay more comfortable.

Thank you for staying with us, and we wish you the best of luck in your travels.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

The Terrace has a great location, close to the markets and buses, and not too far from Parque Central. The rooftop bar has a great view and drink specials, as others have mentioned, but it does mean that a lot of non-guests come stamping through (also as mentioned). The second floor room closest to the bar entrance and bathroom (#7, I think?) where I stayed for just one night saw a lot of action. That bathroom is supposed to be for guests only, but if people don't lock the door behind them then there's not much that can be done to stop bar patrons from using. Also, watch out because suicide showers got their name for a reason and this shower is proof!

The staff was sure to close the bar at a reasonable hour, but that's (unfortunately) about the best that can be said about them. Everyone I talked to - for everything from checking in/out to directions and tips - was just kind of...not rude, exactly, but not particularly friendly either. I asked a girl at the front desk for directions once and she told me to go south. When I asked her to clarify whether that was a left or a right (I had *just* arrived in town, how was I supposed to know?!), she practically rolled her eyes at me. Maybe there's so many travelers that come through that the staff is just weary of them? I don't know, but a full house isn't a bad thing, so there's just no excuse for that.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
GuateClaypoole, Owner at The Terrace Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Shannon ,

We are happy you elected to stay with us, but are disappointed that we were incapable of meeting your expectations. You posed the question as being "too popular" as a thing and I suspect the answer turns on what your expectations are . We have a lively hostel which attracts locals. This is their home country and we welcome their business as we are guest in their country. There are less popular, and more quiet options in Antigua. Room seven is by the restroom and the entry point to our terrace, which is why we are so popular. So much so, that we were voted the best hostel by Hostel World for 2013.

It appears that this was a bad fit for you, but there is little that we can do to make each guest completely happy. But, we try. As to the shower, we had those installed by a licensed electrician from Australia. The standards are well above what is considered "safe" given the manner in which hot water is supplied in Central America. I recommend not touching anything that has electricity and water at a common point. The showers are safe andt we have exceeded the in industry standard in this regard. Perhaps a "hands off" approach is the best course regardless of preventive measures.

As to the staff, I have no idea to whom you refer. We make every effort to treat each guest with kindness and courtesy that they deserve.. It is hard to imagine that each member simply acted with indifference toward you. We simply do not get reviews in this nature so its difficult to address. I will also apologize if you feel that directions were to provided in a manner that was uneasy to understand. One day in Antigua can be a challenge for even the most seasoned traveler.

Safe Travels and thanks for giving us an opportunity to serve you.