“I've found a new favorite spot for coffee in Antigua!”

The Refuge Coffee Bar
Ranked #4 of 14 Coffee & Tea in Antigua
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Description: A small quality driven coffee bar. Sits on the Tanque De la Union park with a beautiful view of the Agua Volcano.
Seattle, Washington
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I've found a new favorite spot for coffee in Antigua!”
Reviewed June 26, 2011

I have a favorite coffee spot on the park I've been frequenting for the past few years as I've visited Antigua, and learned about Refuge just last week. My friends and I decided to give it a try, and it quickly became our go-to spot each morning. The coffee is fabulous, and we enjoyed visiting with the owner, Jim - who knows every coffee spot in our home town of Seattle. I'd highly recommend a visit to Refuge if you're looking for a cozy spot to start the day, along with outstanding coffee.

Visited June 2011
1 Thank kadelph

• Korean first
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Best Coffee in Antigua.. . nay the WORLD.”
Reviewed June 20, 2011

The Refuge coffee bar is simply the best Coffee in Antigua. The shop is small, but has a GREAT atmosphere, where you can just come and Chill and have a great conversation with friends. It's tucked a little bit out of the way, near the central park, but totally worth it. Try the Signature! FANTASTIC!

• Visited May 2011
1 Thank KLGeorge
Portland, Oregon
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“great conversation to go with great coffee”
Reviewed June 18, 2011

I was brought to Refuge by asking an Antigüeño where I could find the best coffee in the city, and he was right. Delicious and lovingly made coffee served in the cozy bar, paired with friendly conversations with the lovely barista and the owner (who remember your name after two visits) made Refuge my favorite coffee place during my one-month stay in Antigua.

Visited June 2011
Clinton, Mississippi
“You Must Go Here”
Reviewed June 10, 2011

Of all the tips I could give you about Antigua, this one is at the top of my list. This is a must-do. Right after you check in to your hotel, go to this place. Drink this coffee. You will not regret it. Don't go to another coffee house first before visiting Jim. I lived in Antigua for a year, and I've tried them all. Do yourself a favor, save yourself a lot of time, go see Jim today.

• Visited July 2010
Brooklyn, New York
“The best shot in Antigua”
Reviewed June 9, 2011

No doubt about it Guatemala has some fantastic coffee...some of the best I've come across but strangely hardly anyone knows how to pull a proper shot. You often end up with watery or worse burnt espresso. Not at REFUGE. They get it done RIGHT every time. Plus it has a fantastic vibe is in a great location. Definitely go here early in your trip because you'll be back several times.

-Victoria