“Totally Left Us Hanging at the Last Minute”

Guinness Travel - Day Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Here at Guinness Travel it is our priority to ensure that you as a traveler are provided with a safe and enjoyable experience, be it on an adventure uncovering the magic of Ancient Mayan Ruins, relaxing on black sand beaches, exploring the caves of Semuc Champey, or being mesmerized by the amazing vistas in Lake Atitlan. We are here to aid you in having an enjoyable and authentic Guatemalan experience where you will discover amazing cultures and products of the natural world, make life long friends, and have once in a life time experiences.
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Based on the reviews here on Trip Advisor, I decided to contact Guinness Travel to help me augment some of my week here. I wasn't looking for them to hand hold me for an entire week, just 2-3 activities. First, I could not contact them by phone, they never answered. Second, I requested info from their web site. Two days later I got an email. From there, it was one email back and forth each day, as we worked through our options with them. I thought everything was set, two days before departure. That's when I got an email that said they apologized but everything was full and they could not accommodate us and sorry for the inconvenience! Bam, just like that. This is about as unprofessional as you can get.
I've written lots of reviews here on this site. This is my worst review ever. If there was an issue with a "deadline" this should have been raised before. Obviously we got bumped by someone coming in after us, there is no other explanation. No, I won't do business with a company like that, and will be sure not to recommend a company like that to anyone. At the very least, if they could not accommodate us, they should have guided us to someone who could. Handled very poorly.
Please beware if you engage with this company that this won't happen to you. I also have to give second thought to Trip Advisor as a site that provides credible information.

3  Thank EdGoingSomewhere
Guinness-travel, Manager at Guinness Travel - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

On behalf of our team at Guinness Travel, we sincerely regret that we

were unable to facilitate your recent visit to Guatemala.

We did not receive any telephone calls from you at the personal phone

number listed on our website.

Our correspondence, initiated by your email, began just ten days

before your arrival. A substantial amount of time and effort was

immediately allocated to the customization of the itinerary you and your

wife requested. From that point, we corresponded frequently as we

attempted to make numerous amendments to the proposed itinerary at

your request.

For example, we responded to your email and amended your itinerary

when:

1. the dates of arrival and departure you initially provided were not

accurate,

2. you informed us you had set aside certain days for other

activities, with which our initial itinerary was incompatible,

3. you requested to visit the Chichicastenango market on a day it is

not open,

4. you requested to consolidate the Lake Atitlan and

Chichicastenango tour into one day rather than two,

5. you requested to do our Antigua bicycle tour on a Sunday

during Lent, when, as we explained, the streets are not entirely

passable due to frequent processions,

6. you decided not to purchase our Antigua bicycle tour due to a

medical condition, though you still intended to climb Pacaya

Volcano.

We can certainly accommodate each of these requests. Unfortunately,

given the nearing deadline (your arrival in Guatemala) and the nature

of our correspondence, we could not have guaranteed you a tour

consistent with the quality of those we insist on providing. Ultimately,

no monetary transaction occurred.

Again, we do sincerely regret that we were unable to provide

accommodations for you and your wife’s visit to Guatemala. If you

return, we ask that you reconsider consulting Guinness Travel to

facilitate your future travels, and we ensure you will receive the five-
star service our Trip Advisor reviewers agree we provide.

Carlos Armas

in 34 reviews
"transportation"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed March 25, 2014

I took the Yalu coffee plantation tour with Guinness travel and from start to finish the tour exceeded my expectations. We we're driven to the plantation by one of their cautious in friendly drivers in a new van with AC! Something not commonly found in Guatemala. Our tour guide was Jessica and she was very attentive to us and advised on the best activities to do at the coffee plantation on top of the regular tour. We zip lined through the canopy and took a horse ride around the beautiful lush grounds. I don't think I've ever see lusher green grass in my life. After that we went fishing in their pools and then did the coffee tour. We saw and participated in every step of coffee making from seeing the farmers pick the berries, dry them and then we even got to roast our own coffee over a small fire and brew fresh coffee. It was definitely the freshest coffee I've ever had. They even gave us a free pound of coffee at the end of the tour so I'm still drinking the coffee now and remembering my experience at Yalu! Thanks Carlos and Jessica for everything! Best coffee tour in Guatemlala!

Reviewed March 13, 2014

On a recent (and first) trip to Guatemala, we engaged the services of Guinness Travel Company in Antigua. Three of us, myself and my two adult children, were traveling, and Carlos at Guinness made everything easy and fun. He took care of all the details I was worried about, from transport to and from the airport in Guatemala City, to lodging and tours of Guatemalan attractions. We visited Pacaya and got some awesome pictures from the top. We also went to Lake Atitlan and Chichicastenango for the market and to learn about Mayan culture. Travel to and from these places could have been very difficult, as they are high in the mountains and roads can be treacherous, but Carlos and his drivers made it smooth and easy. The Guinness van was always waiting whenever we were ready to go somewhere, either in or out of Antigua. Perhaps one of the best things about the tours we took was that Carlos employs local guides in each area. Having someone who actually lives in the village you visit adds tremendously to the experience: each guide has a wealth of local knowledge and is a proud representative of their culture. Having a Mayan shaman's son explain some of the Mayan religious rituals to us while visiting a hilltop altar was authentic and fascinating. We had experiences that I would never have been able to arrange without Carlos and Guinness Travel. Thanks so much for a great trip. We can't wait to visit again!

Reviewed March 10, 2014

We are a couple who have traveled independently for many years. We like to travel to a destination without pre planned trips and get a sense of the place prior to arranging tours when necessary. We did so on our very recent trip to Antigua, Guatemala. As we felt it would be difficult to go to Lake Atitlan and Tikal by ourselves, we were fortunate to discover Guinness travel and to be able to arrange an independent tour through them. Carlos, the owner, is Guatemalan, in spite of the name of the tour company. He speaks fluent English and knows the country and sites in great detail. He knows the players--the guides, drivers, hotels, etc. and is able to make complicated arrangements in terms of pick ups, transport quickly. He is energetic and as it is a small company, he has a very "hands on" approach and is able to accommodate your schedule easily. He is ably assisted by a young and engaging woman, Jessica, both as a guide and as an accompanist on the tour to insure that things go smoothly. And, indeed, everything went like clockwork and this includes multiple transports by van, plane, hotels, etc. The drivers were excellent, efficient, and friendly. Nixon, the Mayan guide, at Tikal desires special commendation in view of his knowledge, enthusiasm, and willingness and interest to share this with us. It was an amazing tour. We recommend Guinness travel for any tour that you could wish in this fascinating country and culture.