“Nice cozy hostal for a few nights stay”
Review of Hostal Antigua

Hostal Antigua
Ranked #23 of 117 Specialty Lodging in Antigua
Reviewed July 18, 2014

I just checked in but being in a few hostels in Antigua this has a nice vibe. Very quiet, calm, charming little place. I am in a 4 bed dorm. And yes they arent huge rooms but It feels cozy rather than cramped. I am only here one night so I think it will be perfect for me. If your planning to stay a while and the room is full I can see how it may start to feel tight. But I feel quite comfortable right now. You have a private bath and shower to share in the room. With 2 electrical sockets per bed on the wall. And a locker outside the room that is big enough for a small to midsize backpack or a big day pack. There is a tv in the room but I doubt ill use it. There also seems to be A/C . And there is a kitchen you can use upstairs on the patio. The hostel seems very clean. And you are very close to everything. However I wouldn't go out at night from this location as we are close to central park and that makes me a little nervous. 60q is an okay price. I know a few cheaper places or places of equal price but include breakfast. Buuut if your looking for quiet, clean, secure place (as I am told they have night staff) I think its a nice stay for a few nights.

• Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

This hostel in my hostel ranking in Antigua( yes I hav ranking!) is definitely in the top 5 hostels here. Very clean and at 10 pm and after very very quite, so u can sleep in peace. Just one block from the Central Park. The price is up and down, so when there is no ppl u can argue the price and u ll get it for cheaper price.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We stumbled across this hostel while failing to find another hostel with the wrong address in the Lonely Planet Guide. A lucky mistake! We were immediately struck by how friendly and helpful the English-speaking reception staff were.

We were also lucky to get the large dormitory. Clean, spacious, airy, with good solid bunks. Hot water in the showers. The other accommodation options seemed a bit dark and claustrophobic.

Unfortunately, the evening we arrived, my travelling companion was hit by a motorcycle and had to spend a few days in hospital. He insisted on returning to the Hostal Antigua when he was discharged. Another good choice. The staff and other guests were solicitous for his welfare. As he was pretty immobile for the first few days, he couldn't leave the hostel and spent most of his time sitting in the pleasant outside space. Better than being cooped up in a small room somewhere with me. This was when the small but well-stocked guest kitchen came into its own as I had to prepare all our meals.

We were sorry to leave because the dorm had already been booked out to a group. By coincidence, we moved into the hostel we had failed to find on our first day, but which proved much less friendly than the Hostal Antigua.

By the way, the Hostal Antigua also provides free coffee sporadically and free filtered drinking water all the time.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank andrewmilton
Reviewed March 17, 2014

A reasonable find with several different accommodations: single, double, bunks. Something for every budget. A little noisy on St. Patrick's Day from the bar next door. But usually noise stops at midnight. There is always someone at the front desk - day and night. They accept calls from tour companies and come to your door to announce if you have a guest. Very clean, fans in every room. TV has limited channels...only ABC in English. Very conveniently located on the 5th Avenue, street of the Arch.

Room Tip: Room 4 is a double, 5 a single. Hot shower that worked well. Small desk, shelves and some hangers.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank PanamaBandito
Reviewed February 22, 2014

It's really chilled here and the staff are amazing. There's a nice rooftop with a kitchen so you can relax and cook your own meals. It's also really cheap to stay here!
This place is owned by Guatemalans so it's good to know your money doesn't go to some rich expat.

Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I stayed in a 4 bed dorm room here and it was very cramped. I have never seen such a small room! There was also no locker for your backpack. Only a little locker big enough for a day pack and your valuables.

I booked my Pacaya Volcano trip through the front desk which had a 6am departure. No one told me at this time that there was a time restriction on the kitchen. In the morning before my trip I went to the kitchen to eat my cereal when the night attendant came and started yelling at me that it was too early to be using the kitchen. There was not even a sign on the kitchen stating the hours it was usable from. I was not impressed.

Room Tip: I wouldn't recommend this hostel unless you are going to spring for a private room so you can le...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 30, 2014

We were group of friends and i must to say that we liked this place.
Its very central,clean.Every day we had daily cleaning in our 12 bed dorm room (stayed our group of 11 friends) we had 2 bathrooms with hot showers.Free towels,lockers.
There is big therrace above the hostel with big common kitchen.
2 days there was free coffee and tea in the hall,so that was nice gesture from the hostel.
The girls at the front desk are helpfull,and kind always with smile!
Only negative was that the wi-fi signal in our room was weak,and very slow connection in general in all areas.
Also very central,only 2 blocks from the Central park.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends