“Book with Gilmer! ”

and up
Overnight Volcano Acatenango Hiking Adventure
Ranked #1 of 50 things to do in Antigua
Reviewed January 19, 2017 via mobile

Gilmer and his family have many years of experience on the mountain and we were in very good hands. Great food, great English spoken by all three guides, and great knowledge of the area.

You could pay four times the price with OX, Old Town or another company, but this way you're putting money directly into local hands.

Go with Gilmer Soy!

in 10 reviews
"tough hike"
in 18 reviews

Reviewed January 17, 2017

Friends planned for us to climb so I was preparing by doing stairs at work. Definitely choose the most reputable company you can. We choose Old Town outfitters. Make sure to have guides who can speak you language.

Reviewed January 17, 2017 via mobile

We booked our hike through the Barco travel agency in Antigua (Q150 as at 15/1/17) which was the cheapest, most basic option. The hike is very challenging, but the experience when you get to the top is incredible. Live, erupting volcanos throughout the night and views you would normally only get from the seat of an airplane 4000 metres up. Bring plenty of cold weather gear as the hike to the summit at 4am is brutally cold and some extra snacks and water. Bottle of rum ain't a bad idea either : )

Reviewed January 16, 2017 via mobile

First what I would like to say is GO WITH GUILMER!!!! I've decided to try to go to acatenango and if not those guys I've would never make it happen. They were VERY well prepared. After 20 min that we started hiking I've started vomiting and they already had medicine prepared for me ( it worked straight away).
We had a group of 6 people with 2 guides. They were super friendly and patient with all of us. After 2 hrs we got a lunch which was a homemade rice with chicken (most of the places have instant noodles) . We got to the camping side around 3:30pm. The view was amazing. Definitely worth it.
The day after I felt really bad so didn't manage to go to the top and again they were prepared! They fixed me straight away. If that wasn't enough at the end I've twisted my leg and they had to carry me down.
We paid Q300 for the trip that includes:
-tent and a sleeping bag
-3 course meal ( nice and hot)
-hot chocolate
-coffee
There so many places that you can pay less but it's really thought and don't underestimate this. Sometimes is better to pay a bit more and go with people that will take care of you. Take lots of warm clothes it's really freezing out there, extra food and 4-5 l of water.
There is possible to rent stuff from them:
-jacket Q25
-gloves Q10
-stickQ5
All the money that they earn they use for the village to build schools etc...
If I would do the acatenango volcano again ONLY WITH THEM!!!!
+502 4169 2292

See more reviews
Reviewed January 15, 2017 via mobile

This was the second time I hiked the Acatenango. Unfortunately, it was also the time six people lost their lives to the extreme weather on January 8th.
The hike is quite strenous and somewhat tricky, in the sense that it's somewhat easy to get lost.
It's a really fun and challenging hike, and I definitely recommend taking safety precautions and having the proper gear, in addition to somewhat fit.
Our guide, Alex 3490 8572, took us through the appropiate route and helped us set up the tent so well that it resisted the gushing wind which took place the night we camped. In addition, he was able to put up a camp fire despite the strong winds.
Definitely recommend the trek, but safety first. Make sure you check the weather.