“Perfection”

Chez Daniel
Ranked #1 of 133 Antigua B&B and Inns
“Perfection”
Reviewed May 1, 2014

I felt really at home at Chez Daniel. The breakfast croissants rivaled those in Paris. The specious, well-equipped kitchen was available to guests at any time. You could have a cup of tea or a home cooked meal. Both Daniel and the staff were accommodating in many ways, arranging shuttle rides and pointing out interesting locations on the map. While Chez Daniel is just a short walk from the central area, it is very quiet and relaxing. The garden is the perfect place to enjoy a good book or a good meal.

Room Tip: I loved Room no.2 which had a cross breeze, was quiet and on the first floor. All the rooms are dec...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Hudson, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 23, 2014

I've stayed in about a dozen retreat centers, homes, and hotels in Central America (including two others in Antigua), and Chez Daniel's accommodations and hospitality are by far the best I've encountered. The rooms are lovely, spacious, and immaculate. The location--easy walking distance from all the sites but away from the central hubbub--is ideal. Daniel, Maria Elena, and Marleni are warm, intelligent, and helpful hosts. Daniel told me he built the sort of place he would want to stay, and his and Maria Elena's thoughtfulness about their guests shapes every aspect of the experience. You can trust the photos on their website. It really is that nice. A great value.

Sutton, Canada
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We enjoyed our 12 days at Chez Daniel in March of 2014. Our room was clean and comfortable, the washroom large and the view of the volcano from our second floor room was lovely. Marleni greeted us upon arrival and made us feel welcome. Daniel and/or Elena made a point of speaking to guests each morning over breakfast. They answered questions, gave advice and tried to ensure that our visit to Antigua was the best it could be. I was sick during our stay. Elena was able to arrange a Doctor's appointment during breakfast and was good enough to have Marleni accompany me to assist with translations. Both my wife and I enjoyed Spanish lessons with Marleni during our stay. This was convenient and could be tailored to our specific needs and timetable. The locations was a short and safe walk to the main part of Antigua. We often walked there and back before breakfast and returned after supper in the evenings. We would certainly recommend Chez Daniel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Centennial, Colorado
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We had just finished a Habitat for Humanity build, and were thrilled to walk into our spacious and lovely room with a beautiful bathroom. The fresh squeezed orange juice, hot chocolate, croissants and bread were a great start to the day. We were happy to be a little out of the crush of humanity during Semana Santa--a lovely quiet street and a lovely garden to look out on. Daniel is a wonderful host and he and Marleni gave us great suggestions of things to do. We could not have been happier. I have stayed at 2 other places in Antigua, and this is by far the best.

Room Tip: We loved the view from the upstairs rooms.
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We had just finished a Habitat for Humanity build in dry and dusty Rabinal and made our way back to Antigua to be a part of Samana Santa. Our accommodations in Rabinal were very "basic" and when we saw our room at Chez Daniel, thoughts of Shangrila emerged. Spacious, beautifully detailed bathroom with actual hot water; wonderfully comfortable bed with dramatic view of Volcan Agua right out the window;; tasty continental breakfast and the masterful expertise of Marleni, the property's capable concierge. Located on the edge of the city, we could walk everwhere, but enjoyed the quiet of a residentail neighborhood.. Rates are very reasonable so the price/value equation is excellent. We should be so lucky to go back one day and enjoy it again.

Room Tip: Ask for the two upstairs rooms with expansive views of three volcanoes.
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Chez Daniel was one of our favorite finds in Antigua. Friendly hostess and owner with plenty of suggestions for how to enjoy Guatemala. Rooms were very comfortable with quality sheets and comfortable bed. Great little breakfast in the morning with *fresh squeezed orange juice*, coffee to order and croissants. We also bought some eggs and they were happy to make them for us each morning. It is great to have access to a kitchen, pure water, and free internet when you are traveling and Chez Daniel provided all of that in a beautiful garden setting. Liked it so much we stayed there again when I brought my parents to visit. A great hotel for the price too!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
West Rockport, Maine
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Traveling alone in Guatemala I wasn't sure how I would fare. I heard about Chez Daniel from other guests I met over dinner, and stayed at Daniel on my return to Antigua a week later. From the beginning I fet at home. I loved my room, and used the shared kitchen for making simple dinners when I didn't want to go out to eat. The neighborhood was quiet and very safe, and Marleni was exceptional in helping me negotiate Antigua and make arrangements for a trip to Lake Atitlan. She also helped me with my rudimentary Spanish with great patience. Daniel provided tips on my trip to Lake Atitlan, and suggested a great local hike that I could do without a guide.

I will return to Guatemala, and when I do, Chez Daniel will be my home base.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo