“Perfect retreat!”

Ranked #1 of 130 Antigua B&B and Inns
Centennial, Colorado
“Perfect retreat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

We had just finished a Habitat for Humanity build, and were thrilled to walk into our spacious and lovely room with a beautiful bathroom. The fresh squeezed orange juice, hot chocolate, croissants and bread were a great start to the day. We were happy to be a little out of the crush of humanity during Semana Santa--a lovely quiet street and a lovely garden to look out on. Daniel is a wonderful host and he and Marleni gave us great suggestions of things to do. We could not have been happier. I have stayed at 2 other places in Antigua, and this is by far the best.

Room Tip: We loved the view from the upstairs rooms.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

We had just finished a Habitat for Humanity build in dry and dusty Rabinal and made our way back to Antigua to be a part of Samana Santa. Our accommodations in Rabinal were very "basic" and when we saw our room at Chez Daniel, thoughts of Shangrila emerged. Spacious, beautifully detailed bathroom with actual hot water; wonderfully comfortable bed with dramatic view of Volcan Agua right out the window;; tasty continental breakfast and the masterful expertise of Marleni, the property's capable concierge. Located on the edge of the city, we could walk everwhere, but enjoyed the quiet of a residentail neighborhood.. Rates are very reasonable so the price/value equation is excellent. We should be so lucky to go back one day and enjoy it again.

Room Tip: Ask for the two upstairs rooms with expansive views of three volcanoes.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

Chez Daniel was one of our favorite finds in Antigua. Friendly hostess and owner with plenty of suggestions for how to enjoy Guatemala. Rooms were very comfortable with quality sheets and comfortable bed. Great little breakfast in the morning with *fresh squeezed orange juice*, coffee to order and croissants. We also bought some eggs and they were happy to make them for us each morning. It is great to have access to a kitchen, pure water, and free internet when you are traveling and Chez Daniel provided all of that in a beautiful garden setting. Liked it so much we stayed there again when I brought my parents to visit. A great hotel for the price too!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
West Rockport, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

Traveling alone in Guatemala I wasn't sure how I would fare. I heard about Chez Daniel from other guests I met over dinner, and stayed at Daniel on my return to Antigua a week later. From the beginning I fet at home. I loved my room, and used the shared kitchen for making simple dinners when I didn't want to go out to eat. The neighborhood was quiet and very safe, and Marleni was exceptional in helping me negotiate Antigua and make arrangements for a trip to Lake Atitlan. She also helped me with my rudimentary Spanish with great patience. Daniel provided tips on my trip to Lake Atitlan, and suggested a great local hike that I could do without a guide.

I will return to Guatemala, and when I do, Chez Daniel will be my home base.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

Hotel Chez Daniel is an adorable hotel on the outskirts of Antigua. It has a B&B feel, with lots of greenery and plants throughout the property. Upon our arrival, Marleni welcomed us at the door and was very friendly, giving us suggestions on where to go in town for banks/ATMs, travel arrangements/tours, and grocery stores. Our room was on the second level, with a great location for viewing Pacaya volcano. The first day, the volcano was not visible due to the clouds, but on our second day, the clouds disappeared and we had great views of the volcano. Our bathroom was huge and our room had tons of storage (which we didn't end up using, since we packed light and lived out of our luggage). There was a cute little table and four chairs on the porch outside our room, where I camped out with a book one evening to read while facing the volcano. It was relaxing and peaceful.

We appreciated that Chez Daniel provided purified drinking water in the kitchen, which we were free to use. We also liked that we were able to store our water bottles in the fridge and freezer, so we could have cold water for our hike up Pacaya the next day. They also left out warm croissants and coffee for us on the morning when we did the Pacaya hike, since we had to leave before normal breakfast hours. The location of Chez Daniel is about a fifteen minute walk from Antigua's Parque Central, which is partly why I chose this hotel. I liked being a little removed from the center of the city, because I wanted to avoid noisy crowds on the streets during the nighttime. We could still hear pedestrians walking by on the street while we were sleeping, but it wasn't nearly as bad as if we would have stayed closer to the city center.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms have great views of Payaca volcano!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

A high class hotel, quiet, 10 minute walk from the center.
Great garden and view if the volcano!
I spent 4 night there, suitable for friends who are not looking to party all the time, families and couples. Very safe.
Simple breakfast included.
Clean, roomy, lovely!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

If I am ever back in Antigua again, I would come back to Chez Daniel. Correspondence for booking and answers to questions via email was very responsive and helpful. We arrived at 11pm at night and someone was there to greet us. We also left at 4:30am and they left out croissant, tea and coffee for us as well as arranging for our transportation. Whatever we needed during our stay they were able to help with including any site-seeing info on Guatemala, a very useful Spanish class, the use of a phone when needed and a map explaining all the highlights to see in Antigua. The website is very accurate as to what you get. Very clean, with lots of space, good beds, great views and sitting areas. I believe there are only 4 rooms so you feel you have the whole place to yourself. The owner and manager are fluent in english. I would think Chez Daniel is much quieter than staying right in town. It is only a 10 minute walk away from the market and 15 minute walk from the main square. A 20Q tuk tuk ride home at night is recommended. Breakfast is orange juice, tea or coffee, bread and croissant with jams. We just bought some fruit at the market to add to our breakfast. All in all a great value for a quiet, very comfortable, well managed place to stay when in Antigua.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family