“One of the very best in Antigua”

Palacio de Dona Leonor
Ranked #101 of 399 Restaurants in Antigua
Cuisines: French, Contemporary, International
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I had a special guest visiting me in Antigua, and we wanted a place where we could enjoy ourselves and the restaurant and its setting without having anything to worry about it. The Palacio de Doña Leonor and its staff rose to the occasion. The roast breast of duck with an extraordinary sauce of wine-stained chopped figs was way out of the ordinary. I don't think I have ever eaten so slowly. That was until the chocolate soufflé dessert came; I wanted to live forever. The service was exactly right--things moved along, but never briskly; leisurely without being slow; friendly without being intrusive; formal without being obsequious. The garden and its fountain did their part superbly.

I can hardly wait for my special friend to return to Antigua; we'll go to Doña Leonor's Palace again!

Reviewed January 15, 2013

The restaurant of the hotel Palacio Doña Leonor, just off the central plaza in Antigua, Guatemala, is simply wonderful - I highly recommend both the hotel and the restaurant. (A what a beautiful hotel!). A very impressive wine list (which includes some of my favorite Argentine Malbecs) begins the evening followed by a most impressive menu for dinner. Each dish carefully prepared by a chef who clearly knows what he's doing! The Staff my me feel very welcome indeed - try it and I am certain that you will be impressed.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

The food is great, the main dinning room has this beautiful fire place which they fired up when we arrived, this used to be an old colonial house now a great restaurant. Sometimes they have Julio and Cesar playing guitars, they are very skilled musicians.

1  Thank ESolorzanoLemus
Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

I looked into this beautifully restored palace (the best hotel in town) and assumed the restaurant was out of my price range. Maybe I could go once at the end of my stay.
The menu was alluring. If the food lived up to the descriptions, this was going to be haute cuisine.
Then with some astonishment I saw that the prices were about half of what I was expecting. I could eat in style for no more than I had been paying at the frankly disappointing tourist traps on 5th Avenida and Merced square.
The food exceeded my expectations, and the surroundings were ritzy, but what really made it perfect was the service. The young Head Waiter is extremely engaging and clearly loves his job. His enthusiasm for the food he described in loving detail was infectious. And he helped me choose a lovely bottle of wine (not one of my own strengths).
It may not be relevant to everybody, but on the subject of loveliness, my waitress was simply beautiful. Multi-lingual, attentive and amusing she made me feel like a VIP. I have spent enough of my life with ugly old men, to appreciate (purely from an aesthetic point of view) the company of beautiful young women.
How do they do it for the price? I am guessing that the restaurants on 5th have to pay stupid rents, but this one - part of the hotel - is effectively rent-free.
In Parque Central walk down the left side of the Cathedral, it is a minute's walk along on the left. You'll recognise it by the inner courtyard, fountain, white tablecloths and twinkling candles.
I am here for two weeks, and I will be going back regularly. You should too.
Chris.

1  Thank Mr_Allsop
Reviewed June 17, 2012

At lunch a filet mignon sandwich and a club sandwich of chicken, ham, salad, nuts and warm grapes were both very good. The lovely planted courtyard is peaceful and cool.

The restaurant and courtyard really come into their own in the evening with soft lighting. Excellent duck in a port wine sauce and a truly superb roulade of pork stuffed with grapes, raisins and caramelised onions. Dessert of melting chocolate pudding with raspberry sorbet and chocolate sauce was worth the short wait!