“A travel Highlight”

CATours
Ranked #23 of 51 Tours in Antigua
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We offer you the very best in motorcycle adventures in Guatemala. CATours are now in the final stages of their completion of Tunnel Spar Hotel in Santa Ana, which is less than 2.5 kms from Central PK. This is primarily aimed at single travellers that are looking for a different location that offers safe secure parking for Motorbikes. We also give free advice for repairs and work that may be required. Please call us for any Motorcycle info on 502 78329638.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A travel Highlight”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

When you travel long term like me every day is good, but every once and a while you get an extra special day. My extra special day was with Moto Tours. An AMAZING day with these guys. They will look after you all day long at their product is second to none!!!
I RATE IT ALL THE WAY....I may even do another tour with them :)

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Quinten B

Sydney, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“By Far THE MOST FUN EVER !”
Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

BY FAR the most physically and mentally challenging thing I've done to date (I'm a road rider) : 6 hours of riding a dirt bike around the base of volcano "Agua", in and out of streams, up and down mountains, through jungle and forest, rubber, cane and corn plantations. 80% of the day was off road.

Leaving Antigua we rode along a winding open road weaving along the valley between two tree covered volcanos that tower up into the clouds. Sunny day, joyful heart.

In the bush up on the pegs giving it throttle, trampling over rocks passing through mud and mountain streams as deep as 1/2 metre, on a bike that can do it all, this bike feels like it eats rocks for breakfast, what a buzz.

The terrain was everything from black sand to rocks to dirt and loose gravel. We climbed as high as 8000 ft and as low as 1200 ft. we climbed the north side of Acatenango volcano. At the top it was cold, a micro climate of constant drizzle.

Dave our fearless leader was the best, professional, helpful, encouraging and fun.

Just Do it. I can promise you will get wet, dirty and the BIGGEST grin on your face !

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Gab R
Napa, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Good fun. Would definitely do it again.”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

My son and I just returned from two weeks in Guatemala. We like to do adventure type activities- biking, kayaking, ziplines, hiking, etc. Our original plan was to spend a couple days in Antigua and then explore different parts of the country. In Antigua we had planned to hike Volcan Pacaya but didn't have other plans. When we got to town we picked up a map at our hotel and started to wander around Antigua. We saw a logo for CATours and decided to stop by the shop. They had a chalkboard with a listing of their trips and some of their motorcycles out front. While we were there Frenchy (David) came back he game us more info and we decided to do the Village Tour Extra tour the next day. The morning of the tour we got geared up and ready to go. My 16 year old son has limited riding experience and was having trouble getting the hang of the clutch on his bike so we had to call an audible. Frenchy said he would take my son on the back of his bike and I would ride my own. It was the right decision as it wouldn't have been safe for my son to ride on his own. So we headed out and went up the hill from Antigua to one of the smaller towns. We stopped at the central market and wandered around. Frenchy was very informative and entertaining. We cruised around some more and stopped at another "village"- San Antonio Aguas Calientes. We grabbed a snack- fried chicken and fries at a little restaurant near the central plaza. We watched some men in the plaza setting off loud firecracker type explosives in a metal tube. They would light the fuse and turn and run before the loud "BOOM", crazy! After that we went on and at one point we stopped and Frenchy showed us how high the mud and water had come up on a house in town after a storm months ago. The water line was about three or four feet up the side of the house. After riding mostly on streets we then hit some dirt roads and rode up a hill and got some great views of the area before heading down and through some deep mud- some men were out trying to fix the road so they could get their truck through- didn't look good for them. We plowed through the mud and I just about went down but caught myself by putting my foot down into the ankle deep muck. Before I forget- one of the highlights of the trip was our stop at the "Chocolate Ladies" house. We got a tour of the chocolate making operation run out of a family home. It was great and included tasting some of the product at the end. So many delicious types of chocolate. I ended up buying a block of Chocolate con Cafe. We broke into it for some nibbles while in Guate and brought the rest back here to the States. Finally after noon we cruised back to the shop in Antigua, took off our gear and hung out and chatted over beers. Jose, the owner, was back from a different tour and had ordered lunch from the restaurant on the corner. It looked so good we ordered some for ourselves and feasted on the delicious food. All in all it was a great way to spend part of a day and I'm so glad we went on a tour. I hope that if we get back to Antigua some day that we can do another tour with my son riding on his own bike.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Dale M
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
“One the most fun things I've EVER done!!!”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Ok, so I had amebic dystentary and felt like death, but had been planning this motorcycle tour (we did Dirt River...good first one to go on) so I was not going to wimp out. I am SO GLAD I didn't, this was an awesome time!! Rode through some creeks, did some jumps, my brother "wiped out" (think he was just goofin'). HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend this for anyone with some experience on a dirt-bike or motorcycle. I'm a motocycle guy, this was my first time on a dirt-bike, so it's not tough as long as you know you way around a bike. Did I mention how much FUN it was!?!?!

Visited May 2013
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Coast to Coast Tour - can't be beat!”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Three guys from Melbourne had an outstanding trip with CATours back in April and were privileged to be part of the last ever tour that Dave (the owner of the long distance side of CATours) would be running directly with himself as guide. I say privileged as he really did bring a whole lot of personality to the adventure. His wealth of stories from over a decade of running tours, his local knowledge, and his easy going professionalism really made the trip.

From a rider's perspective, having someone along with his level of knowledge revealed places none of us would of had the confidence to visit solo let alone skills to locate. From negotiating the alleyway shortcuts of San Antonio Palopó, through to zooming along the ridiculously fun back roads that lead to Semuc Champey, Dave knew his stuff and led the way.

Thanks must also go to Henry, CATour's trusty mechanic, who paced us every step of the way on his own bike. Bar the odd puncture zero probs with the bikes, which as others have posted are enormous fun regardless of their engine size. It doesn't get much better when you can leave the navigating, fuel watching, and maintenance to someone else, and instead concentrate on the road ahead, the lush mountain views and the inevitable cold beer awaiting you at your destination.

Not much more I can add that hasn't been said before except to say that I encourage any riders out there to take the plunge if you're never visited Guatemala before (motorcycling has got to be 'the' way to see the country) and anyone travelling through shouldn't miss the opportunity to get a whole new perspective on the place. Having visited Central America several times before I was happily surprised at just how much was still being revealed on our Coast to Coast Tour: hidden shortcuts, towns and routes I never knew existed. Good times and great riding.

So our thanks again to Dave, it may be the end of an era with him no longer leading the tours himself but I'm sure his guides will be building on the heritage. If you like your riding adventures exotic (riding here is like nothing you might be used to back home!) then this is the place to go and these are the people to do it with.

Cheers Dave and a salute to you, one of life's true characters! - Alex (+ Paul and Dan).

Visited April 2013
1 Thank AlexMC77
Dave D, Owner at CATours, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Alex, and you TWO other great OZ;i's, thank you very much for all your kind words in expressing the great tour that we had, yes it may be my last Coast to Coast tour, but riding for personal pleasure will and still is a part of my life here in Guatemala.
Trust me when I say it was a most excellent tour for me also.

Many thanks again for the great review, and maybe one day we will catch up again...

ps If when you ever come back to Antigua, you will love the New MOTO Cafe, this division of CATours SA is now being run with Jose and Frenchie, they are keeping up the quality of what CATours started back in 1999 and are still doing.

Best

Dave Drudge...

and all the team at CATours