Hostel Restaurante Casa Jacaranda
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewsfree breakfastprivate roomtoilets showersnice gardenminute walk to the central parknice breakfaststayed for two nightsrooms are nicepleasant staybeanspancakesevery morninghammockshostelwifibodegamarket
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here during both visits in Antigua and loved it! We stayed in a private room the first time and a dorm the second and both had extremely comfortable beds. The breakfast we found most filling and satisfying was the spinach and tomato omelet with fruit, beans, potatoes in a delicious rosemary and olive oil sauce, with coffee AND juice! Eating it out in their lovely backyard garden made it even better. There's also a cheap and delicious taco stand connected to the hotel that we ate at multiple times. Great value for Antigua. Also, the wifi here worked great and we were able to watch Netflix in our private room (room #1) the first stay. Overall, this felt like a great deal because we were in a safe, super clean and tranquillo place yet still within just a few minutes walking distance to the famous Antigua market!

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We booked this hostel through hostel world in September of 2013 since we knew that Antigua would be a popular spot for New Years Eve. We paid a 10% deposit and were told our booking was confirmed. We showed up with the print-out of our confirmation (as we were told to do) and the guy at the front desk was incredibly unhelpful and pretty rude. He told us they had NO record of our booking (which basically means they lost it) and then told us 1) the problem was with hostel world and that we would need to contact them; and 2) that this had happened to someone else earlier that day! This was pretty infuriating since I have used hostel world before and not ended up in this situation, so I know that Jacaranda must have lost our reservation (though I am in the process of complaining with hostel world as well). Also - how did this happen to multiple people in one day??

Worst of all - the guy at the front desk basically told us that since it was New Years (though we arrived on the 30th) that everything in town would be booked and there wasn't much he could do. Since Jacaranda messed up our reservation, the least they could do was make a few phone calls, but he didn't seem to want to help. After walking around town, we eventually found a small hotel with a room and were able to stay in Antigua for New Years after all, but had we arrived on the 31st, I know we would have been completely out of luck. I'm still fuming at this establishment!

If you do end up booking here, be sure to double (triple?) check your reservation with the hotel directly!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2014

The rooms were clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The hostel was conveniently located about 10 minutes from the main square, and breakfast was included in the very reasonable price of the room. We stayed in a full dorm and space was limited, however I never felt cramped and there was a secure area designated for any extra luggage. There was free Wi-Fi, however it was only available in the main entrance and living room. Despite this small inconvenience, the internet speed was great and there was no shortage of plugs for laptops. There was also a computer available to guests who did not bring their own.

There was only one shower for all of the dorm rooms, however I didn't experience any problems even when the hostel was at almost full-capacity. There were several bathrooms in the building, all of which were clean.

The staff at the front desk were able to book shuttles out of town, and they had a convenient laundry service that was the same price as everywhere else in town. I was also impressed with the food they serve in the lobby. It made for a great place to eat whenever we didn't feel like leaving the hostel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 24, 2013

I've stayed in Cas Jacaranda for a week in a private room and had a very pleasant stay. The staff is very nice and helpful, the breakfast is great (four menus to choose from every morning!) and the prices were way more affordable than at most other hostels I checked. Great thing about CasaJacaranda for solo travelers is that they don't charge you a double price for staying in a private room, everybody just pays a price per person. The time I was there, there weren't many people staying and it was very quiet at night, so great to catch up for some sleep! Very safe and clean, a night watch every night and the rooms were cleaned every day. Would definitely stay there again if I end up going back to Antigua!

Room Tip: I stayed in a private room, but the dorms at the back of the garden looked like a very nice place to sleep as well
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I always stay in Casa Jacaranda when I come to Antigua. The rooms are clean, cozy, and very comfortable. It's very cheap for a priavte room just for one person... only Q15 more than the dorms. A nice breakfast is included... not huge, but filling and yummy. The showers are nice and warm, but sometimes a little dirty. The wi-fi works great, and the garden out back is a wonderful place to sit and relax. Added bonus is the delicious and cheap taco place adjoined to the hostel... great food!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo