“Best Caprese Salad Ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Sobremesa

Sobremesa
Ranked #27 of 355 Restaurants in Antigua
Cuisines: Contemporary, Fusion, Healthy, International
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: We believe in serving you dishes that more than just delicious, they are something you've never had before and will never have anywhere else. They are new, original, and out of the ordinary because, as an art gallery restaurant, we want you to enjoy not just art that you can see and hear, but taste as well. Please note that we open at 1pm and close at 9pm on Mondays. #algodiferente #sobremesa
Houston, Texas
“Best Caprese Salad Ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

We dined at Sobremesa during our recent visit to Antigua. One of our guides had recommended it and said Alex was doing new things with food. He wanted us to try the Caprese Salad. So - we went for it.

The Caprese salad had delicious juicy tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and the kicker - a basil sorbet! The basil sorbet made this dish. So unusual. The dish melted in your mouth with the flavors.

All six of us enjoyed our meals and enjoyed visiting with Alex. We were there on a rainy, wet night and we ate out in the front area. I had a vegetarian pasta dish that was delicious and one of the favorites of the table. My husband had a pizza which he really enjoyed. All of us were happy with the food, service and drinks.

We wish Alex much success!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Heather S
IcookUnicorns, Owner at Sobremesa, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
I'm really glad you liked it! Thank you!

• Korean first
Mountain View, Arkansas
“Mixed emotions about Sobremesa”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

Based on Trip Advisor rankings and reviews we dined at Sobremesa on our most recent trip to Antigua. We sat in the back patio area, which is a very relaxing location. We met Alex, the owner, and had an enjoyable conversation with him about all the many flavors of ice cream that he has created and how he ended up in Antigua.

For our dinner, we started with the spicy avocado appetizer, which was very tasty. I had a grilled chicken sandwich with grilled potatoes for my dinner. My traveling companions had the carpaccio and the beef sandwich. We shared a dessert which had one of Alex's ice creams as a topper. I enjoyed the flavors of the dessert but one of my companions thought it was a little disjointed and not cohesive enough for his tastes. Overall, we had a good time on our visit to Sobremesa. We enjoyed the food, the atmosphere and our conversation with Alex.

Now the part for my mixed emotions about Sobremesa. This is for the benefit of Alex and for others dining at Sobremesa. A week after my return from Guatemala I received a text from my credit card provider of a fraud alert on my card. When I called them back they advised me that they had declined a charge of $877.12 on my card made earlier that day in Guatemala. They cancelled my card and have issued me a new card with a new account number. Before leaving on this trip I had called them and told them I would be making this trip and gave them the dates for my trip. Thankfully, that call is paying dividends now.

I didn't intend to use my credit card on the trip but I failed to exchange enough money and had to use the card two times. I used it for the first time at Sobremesa the night before we flew home and I used it a second time at breakfast the next morning before going to the airport. When I paid with my card at Sobremesa I gave the card to our waiter and he took it away to process it and returned a few minutes later with my card and the ticket for my signature. When I used the card at breakfast the next morning, the waiter had a handheld card scanner. I handed him my card, he scanned it and handed it right back to me with the ticket for my signature.

If Alex has a dishonest employee he needs to know about it. Other diners also need to know so that they can pay in cash rather than having their cards run and risk something like this from happening to them. With that being said, I would still go to Sobremesa for lunch or dinner, but I would only pay in cash. I would have this time if I had exchanged a little extra money to cover these last two meals of my trip.

IcookUnicorns, Owner at Sobremesa, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Well, for the first part, thank you very much, I'm glad you liked it! And for the second, oh my God. Can you please send me a private message telling me when you ate so I can know which waiter it was?
Brockville, Canada
“Wonderful Food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

Loved the creative and tasty food choices, the wine selections as well as the overall garden ambiance!

IcookUnicorns, Owner at Sobremesa, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Thank you very much!
Halifax, Canada
“Fun and tasty”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

We had a good time bantering back and forth with Alex in the pretty garden to start - reminiscing about the Bahamas where Alex once lived and we have sailed. And then we moved on to food. The tapas platter to start was delicious and the Wendy pizza that followed was also good. At the end of the evening we sipped on hot chocolate that was the best ever. I'd like to go back for something other than pizza although it was good. It just looked like there were other inventive things on the menu that I'd like to try! Make sure you are not starving when you go in. Service can take a little while.

• Visited January 2014
IcookUnicorns, Owner at Sobremesa, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
I really appreciate that, thank you! And yes, service has been slow lately. We have grown so much and I need to hire more employees, both in the kitchen and to handle the tables. I will get right on it. Thanks again!
Overland Park, Kansas, United States
“Great, creative food... slow service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

We stopped in on Valentine's Day evening with a group of 12 people. Alex, the owner sat us down, engaged us in witty banter and good-natured ribbing and made us feel at ease. The food was great... I had a chipotle-blackberry steak that was an interesting melange of flavors. There was a little confusion on what exactly we meant by "medium" and "medium well" and "medium rare" in terms of the steak cooking. Alex said that his definition of "medium" was a red center, whereas "medium well" meant a pink center to the steak. We adjusted, but it was a tad confusing. But then it seemed to take FOREVER for our food to arrive. Part of it might have been that we had been traveling all day, part of it may have been that it was Valentine's Day and very busy and part of it may have been that we had a large group. But when the food arrived, it was exquisite. I would go again in a heartbeat.

IcookUnicorns, Owner at Sobremesa, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Thank you very much! As I said when I was thanking you all for your patience, it would take some time for your food to come out because of all the factors you mentioned. It was Valentine's Day and we were packed, and had been for much of the day, you were a group of twelve, and you have a different definition of doneness (how's that for alliteration?) that almost was disastrous. I would like to take the time to state, for everyone who checks our Tripadvisor before coming to see us, that in different regions of the world there are different definitions of doneness when it comes to cooking carne correctly, but the way I was taught is:

Blue - Cooked very quickly; the outside is seared, but the inside is usually cool and not warm and definitely not cooked. The steak will be red on the inside.
Rare - The outside is gray-brown, and the middle of the steak is red and slightly warm.
Medium rare - The steak will have a fully red, warm center. Unless specified otherwise, upscale steakhouses will generally cook to at least this level.
Medium - The middle of the steak is hot and red with pink surrounding the center. The outside is gray-brown.
Medium well - The meat is light pink with gray-brown surrounding the center.
Well done - The meat is gray-brown throughout and slightly blackened or charred.

I'm glad you enjoyed it and I'm ever so pleased to see members of your group coming back in smaller batches. It is far, far easier for us to serve smaller groups.