“Great Sauces but...”

Sobremesa
Ranked #21 of 385 Restaurants in Antigua
Cuisines: International
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Description: We believe in serving you dishes that more than just delicious, they are something you've never had before and will never have anywhere else. They are new, original, and out of the ordinary because, as an art gallery restaurant, we want you to enjoy not just art that you can see and hear, but taste as well. #algodiferente #sobremesa
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I had the steak with a berry sauce and my beloved traveling partner had chicken with a guava sauce. Both sauces were excellent, but overwhelmed the meat. My own opinion is that in order to truly succeed, a dish needs one flavor or texture playing off another. For example dark chocolate can have a lovely interplay between the bitter and the sweet in the chocolate. Sobremesa has some original sauces, but isn't quite connecting the sauce with the meat or coming up with a contrasting taste/texture within the sauce. The pizza looks worth a try, and the friendliness of the staff is wonderful.

IcookUnicorns, Owner at Sobremesa, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2012

Considering all the free drinks you bullied my poor waiter out of, I'm not surprised you consider his friendliness wonderful. Shame I arrived too late. My customers complained to me about you both, and my staff were happy to see you go. I hope you find some lovely interplay somewhere else.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Every week there is a new dish, a new flavor of ice cream or dessert. The combinations of flavors, ingredients and presentation never fail to amaze me and having eaten from the best restaurants of San Francisco and Las Vegas, I'm always impressed by the culinary wonders that come out of this small one-man kitchen.

3  Thank paladinAntigua

Thank you so much! People like you are why we push to keep outdoing ourselves. You make it worth all the hassle.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

Sobremesa has such character and ambience because of Alex, the chef and owner. He's creative, the food is excellent the art on the walls are so interesting. Alex pays very close attention to each detail and when you talk with him you quickly understand the uniqueness of Sobremesa. It's is the first time I've been so intrigued with the food, decor and the conversation with a restaurant owner. Alex is certainly someone to follow....he's heading somewhere big!!!

Thank you very much! That's really kind of you to say!

Reviewed November 29, 2012

We had the Sombremesa pizza and mezcal, macadamia nut and white chocolate ice cream. Everything was wonderful and if we were here for another day we'd go back and try something else.

You two make me want to open up a branch in Greer. You were both very kind and a pleasure to serve.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

The owner of this place was very friendly. On the verge of to friendly. But the food that were were served was amazing! I have been trying to replicate the sandwich we had their for months to no avail. We ate out a ton in Antigua and this was the best for sure.